Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Autocar Magazine - Toyota Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 06:59 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autocar Magazine - Toyota Analysis

anybody has this issue? i can't find my copy, i misplaced it somewhere.
I'm looking for some financial facts about the company. I remember also that the article said that Toyota can buy GM, is that true?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 14 April 2004, 03:55 PM
Clett
Scooby Regular

I read that too! Apparently they aren't the biggest car maker in the world (in terms of sales) that's still GM. Thought they might have just knocked Ford off the second spot though. The reason they've got so much cash is because they are by far and away the world's most profitable major car company. Ford average a piddly 1% profit on every car they sell, while at Toyota it's nearer 10%! Upshot is yes they could buy GM for cash, tomorow. But they aren't - instead them and Honda are spending it on R&D on what they think are the next big growth areas: small aircraft, hybrid powertrains and humanoid robots (yes really!).
Old 14 April 2004, 04:17 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

i'm not surprised Toyota make big profits....they put no fuc$ing paint on my Rav4.
Old 14 April 2004, 08:23 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clett
I read that too! Apparently they aren't the biggest car maker in the world (in terms of sales) that's still GM. Thought they might have just knocked Ford off the second spot though. The reason they've got so much cash is because they are by far and away the world's most profitable major car company. Ford average a piddly 1% profit on every car they sell, while at Toyota it's nearer 10%! Upshot is yes they could buy GM for cash, tomorow. But they aren't - instead them and Honda are spending it on R&D on what they think are the next big growth areas: small aircraft, hybrid powertrains and humanoid robots (yes really!).

Thanks a lot clett
Is there a chance you could scan the page and send it to via email? I started a thread in a US Toyota site and the yanks can't believe that Toyota is that rich and can actually buy their precious GM. they quoted: 'buy GM? I'm sure the name GM is worth 13 billion alone'

What a nice mentality for a civilised conversation....
Old 14 April 2004, 10:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Some people do seem to think that a "little jap car company" could not possible purchase such a big and strong marque as GM. Yeah right! If I look out of my window. I'd say that 80 percent plus if the cars I see are japanese cars and not 'american' cars.
Plus the other fact, as stated, is that Toyota makes more than just cars, I don't see any Ford branded TV's, do you?