Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4, 5.9, or 6.4 seconds. How quick is a UK turbo to 60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2000, 10:59 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have always been fascinated by 0-60 times.

There always seems to be such a difference between manufacturer quotes and Magazines, and most interestingly between Magazines.

Scoobies are no exception, particularly in the case of the UK Turbo.

-Scooby brochure quotes 6.4 seconds
-Car magazine 'facts' bit 6.4 seconds(my most respected mag.)
-Autocar 'facts' bit 5.4 seconds

Also in today's Autocar '100mph and back' feature it does the 0-60 drag in 5.9 seconds and to which they comment...'not as fast as we expected from previous experience.'

So just how quickly does a UK Impreza Turbo go from 0-60?

Does the time vary for each car that rolls off the line?

Ed
Old 29 June 2000, 11:16 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

I can't really answer your question, but I know that some mags like "sensational figures" so they do 0-60 times using a jockey driving the car with one pint of petrol in it on super grippy tarmac, others use more real world situations.

So take what you read with a pinch of salt.

The bottom line is a scoob is pretty quick!

Cheers

Simon
Old 29 June 2000, 11:17 PM
Graeme
Scooby Regular

Red face

And Top Gear managed a time of 5.2 secs in November 97 if my memory serves me right.

But Autocar - no wonder they only managed a dash of 5.9 seconds! To quote:
"Getting the Subaru off the line quickly required a technique which is, at best, crude. With first gear selected, we dialled in 7000rpm and side stepped the clutch".
!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, lets all try this! I for one need a new clutch anyway, so hell, lets burn the bugg3r!

Surely 4-4500rpm would have been a bit quicker Autocar?
Old 29 June 2000, 11:40 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Hey! My Subject!

Standard UK 5dr (with Towbar ) 2 up with a full tank of normal unleaded

5.8s

REVS July 2000

Please wait until after RSOC National Day for update (30 July)

AKA JamesH
Old 30 June 2000, 07:18 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Both the STIv4 & the P1 tested in AutoCar achieved roughly the same 0-60 (4.6) - But then they would, wouldn't they

Reading the WRX write-up its clear that major revs/slipping the clutch method was how it was achieved - something I would never do.

Certainly a UK car does 0-60 between 5.5 & 6 secs & WRX's etc do it in under 5.

Ro.
Old 30 June 2000, 09:45 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Question

Why then do Subaru state poor 0-60 times? Hardly a selling point
Old 30 June 2000, 10:09 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Why then do Subaru state poor 0-60 times?

to keep insurance costs lower?

Greg
Old 30 June 2000, 11:11 AM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not to disappoint people who's cars can't do it! BTW would you need a v. long piece of road to get 143 in a standard car.
Old 30 June 2000, 11:16 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Fashions change. In the 80's, manufacturer's wild claims were often rarely matched by testers. In the caring, sharing 90's, speed was frowned upon, so the manufacturer's times got slower.

Not only does the number of occupants, fuel level and road/tyre condition matter, so does the temperature & humidity.

It's worth noting that the ultimate 0-60 times are achieved using some pretty horrific techniques. Clutch-dumps at high revs, followed by clutchless changes and no attempt to lift off the accelerator. Even then, just as no two cars are identical, different cars will perform slightly better or slightly worse in any test.

I've always preferred the 30-70 times which are more representative real-world driving.
Old 30 June 2000, 12:27 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Smile

Performance Car (now extinct) did 0-60 runs on a turbo saloon a few years ago. Unlike the standardised figures, they ran the car with only one occupant and a nearly empty tank. They consistently obtained figures around 5.0 sec.

As for the typical true 0-60, 5.5 sec seems nearer the mark. The manufacturer's figure has always been falsely high.

D.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:25 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

When I was in the process ofbuying my MY00 in April, I asked exactly the same questions...i.e. 0-60 times and also Exactly how much BHP did the Standard Scoob have.

He said to me that they kept things conservative for insurance purposes, BUT confidentially he said that ever car was different and that he would quote an average of 5.5 secs for 0-60. He alsosaid that the BHP was without question always higher than the quoted 218bhp. He said that the standard cars they had dyno'd had come out anywhere between 225bhp and 245bhp!! (No mods at all!)

I hope mine is one of the 245bhp cars!!

Now, I am sure some of you will think I am talking B*ll*cks, but I swear this is what he told me! And I have absolutely no reason to try and fob you all off!!

For the record, best I have managed with 2 15 stone blokes in, is about 6.5, but then I have't a clue what I am doing either!!

Jim
Old 30 June 2000, 01:51 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I disagree that you have to abuse the car to get a good time. I have never sidestepped my clutch or flat-changed and never intend to.
At TRAX last year when my car was standard bar back-box/filter I managed a 5.4sec run.
No WRX that I saw magaged less than 6secs as they had to change into third gear.
At the REVS day I managed 4.5secs in the wet with 1/2 tank fuel and a passenger. The only difference over TRAX was a d/p, so I can only presume the main difference was more experience.
After driving several Scoobs, it is clear that the differences between different cars can be huge, and as such it probably takes a while to 'learn' what each car is capable of.
Just because I've got my car to 60 in 4.5 doesn't mean I could do it in a car with equal mods.
I drove James' (Puff's) car at the REVS day and could only equal his best with two attempts. His car just felt so different to mine.
Besides, the magazines will normally tell you if the figures they quote are manufacturers or their own based on tests.

Stef.
Stef.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:52 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

And one more for luck....

Stef.

Old 30 June 2000, 02:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Stef,

Are SUK still giving you grief over the gearbox problems?

Do you think the AP clutch may help your times?

Moray
Old 30 June 2000, 02:45 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidRB:
<B>I've always preferred the 30-70 times which are more representative real-world driving. [/quote]

Personally i prefer 50-150 times, they are far more representative real world driving. LOL

0-60 means bugger all in the real world, what you need is the mid range torque on the road for passing traffic and high top end power for fast track action.

My times at the RWYB day at santa pod were much worse than expected as well. This was purely down to poor traction on a slick track. On a grippy road i would have knocked 2 seconds off that time (12.5s 1/4). I recon at the spod i was getting 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, on a grippy road i have seen 0-60 in 3.2, its purely down to grip levels and is a very poor way of showing the cars real performance.

Old 30 June 2000, 03:02 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

am I bit warped in thinking that 50-150 and track based times aren't really real world?

I'd personally find 60-100 times useful on benchmark lists.
Old 30 June 2000, 03:43 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Jim is spot on.
IMHO the scoob in std MY00 form is noticeably
quicker 0-60 than either the std 2wd sapphire cos or 285BHP 4x4 sapphire cos I used to have. Even Mike R admitted as much in an e-mail last year (when i still had the cossie).
Very tempted to do the RSOC national day 0-60
in the std class but er indoors has put the foot down re: purchase price of scoob & ensuing clutch repair cost! Maybe next year>
Stevec
Old 30 June 2000, 04:12 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Oh no, there's the myth again ...

Mind you, no criticism meant, but I'll bet a packet of French Fries that most standard UK spec cars really *do* hoover around 218 HP. I also would throw in the mayo to bet that most MY98's would be quicker (don't know why) than the MY99-00's.

I do agree there is quite a difference between cars of the same MY. May be due to the way the cars were run in, or drivetrain loss, dunno.

My best time with my souped up UK spec (MY99) until know is 5.45 secs 0 - 100 km/h. Mind you, we're talking about 1.2 bar peak boost, and a catless exhaust. On the other hand, my little person adds 110 kg to the gross weight of the car, and tests were done with a full tank. I also have Oz SuperT's in 17", so times with the standard 16" wheels would be slightly better (ideal weight)
I also did the tests with maximum sympathy for the mechanical parts.

Just for documentation purposes: I use a GTech-Pro for these measurements, and it is supposed to be accurate up to 1/10th of a second (both ways). I also realize that 0-60 mph is not the same as 0-100 km/h.

Theo
Old 30 June 2000, 04:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fosters:
<B>am I bit warped in thinking that 50-150 and track based times aren't really real world?

[/quote]

Well, you must be because they are real world to me most weeks!

and it was a joke, hence the LOL

but they are still real world to me.

Old 30 June 2000, 04:56 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

i guess people who post to this bbs have a slightly offset marker for real world, so my comment wasn't very relevant to us, but would've been on, say, a smart car bbs!

I am fairly envious of your track antics John! they make great reading.
Old 30 June 2000, 06:32 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Don't be envious, join in the fun.

you don't need a balistic car to enjoy yourself, just make sure its safe and go out and play.

glad you enjoy the post's i put up, thats the plan.
Old 01 July 2000, 12:35 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

John

youre mad i tell ya, REVVing mad!!!!

Sunil ;-)

Old 01 July 2000, 01:39 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What you have to remember JohnF's car is the exception rather than the rule . You would have a job finding any road car to keep up with it 500+ bhp per ton. Nice car and awesomely quick .

After seeing scoobys going for it at Santa Pod the take off is definitely where it is won and lost. The car seems to have uncanned amounts of traction off the line. Strangely its being posted that damp surfaces help a standing start due to a little bit of wheelspin allowing the turbo to wind up quicker.

Personally, I only ever spun the wheels once on a very icey car park on black ice, very strange experience only front wheels spun for a split second until the backs pushed the fronts to non icey tarmac and allowed grip.

cheers

chrisp

Old 01 July 2000, 03:35 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

I aint mad sunilp, everything i do is well thought out with the other inmates

And chris, it aint 500BHP+/tonne. It's only 480BHP/tonne, i NEED more power. LOL
Old 03 July 2000, 04:05 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Fosters,

I hope you aren't knocking Smart cars there! I have spent the last week in one, and it's an extremely well thought out car that's actually a real hoot to drive!

You can always tell people you're driving a rear engined, rear driven, six speed sequential shift two seater turbocharged coupe engineered by Mercedes... you don't have to say it's got 3 cylinders, a massive 600cc, and was co-designed by Swatch!

Moray
Old 04 July 2000, 09:43 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

John.

I thought Santa Pod was a high grip surface? Oh well....
Make sure you book Donno for Aug 11th won't you, looking forward to some more hoots! I hope that light green V8 thing's there as well, give you something your own size to pick on!

Stef.
Old 04 July 2000, 11:12 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

No stef, the pod is very slippy. The track is covered in a completely incompatible rubber and so the chemical reaction you normally get between the tarmac and a road tyre doesnt happen.

I was running on my track tyres also which are harder than normal road tyres and take 2 laps to get to temperature, so at the pod they were just hopeless at getting me off the line.

I was getting wheelspin in 4th gear on the left hand lane at 90MPH, the right lane was much better but i still had wheelspin in third at 70MPH.

On the public roads i only ever see wheelspin in 1st and 2nd in a straight line and that is when realy pushing hard. It's easy to have it lit up in corners in 4th though if i force it, but thats only if i want to and it is totally controlable.

As for that green thingy, i doubt i will be able to keep up with that, it has about 40BHP more than me and is 100Kg lighter, i will give it a damn good try though if it turns up. I should be running on slicks by then, just need my sump modding to stop oil surge posibilties. My new radiator should arive friday, so all being well i will be able to stay out on track for a full session at full speed and start to get to grips with driving the beasty on the limit properly.

Gonna be busy on track this month/next then.

Have 2 days at knockhill with SIDC and Top Marques, one day at the silverstone GP track with the RS national day and now donno.

Anyone fancy sponsoring my westfield, (please )
Old 04 July 2000, 11:47 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Wink

Is this sponsor as in sponsored walk or sponsor as in logo's on the car?

As a sponsor what perks would one get?

Actually, ignore that question it's got too
many conotations...

Old 04 July 2000, 11:49 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

What's this?
John F admitting he will be probably not keep up with a car that has ONLY 40bhp more and weighs ONLY 100kg less than him???????
Sounds a fairer comparison to me than an EXTRA 100bhp and 500kg LESS though doesn't it?

Stef.

Old 04 July 2000, 02:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Stef,

Do you think that your AP clutch will have helped your emergency starts at the pod?

Moray

Quick Reply: 5.4, 5.9, or 6.4 seconds. How quick is a UK turbo to 60mph?