Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do people scuba dive in a Quarry?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 12:20 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why do people scuba dive in a Quarry?

Its so Dangerous as we have discovered today
Old 13 April 2004, 12:22 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Question

Any more dangerous than the sea or a loch ?
Old 13 April 2004, 12:24 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Is there anything to see in a quarry?
Old 13 April 2004, 12:25 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

well i'm sure it is......

the chef that worked in our Restaurant was killed over the weekend with his Girlfriend

Very sad
Old 13 April 2004, 12:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Is there anything to see in a quarry?
While water clarity may be an issue, many Quarries had buildings in them and may also, depending on the type, have had processing on site. There is a quarry in Rugby that also made bricks on site from the clay that was excavated. The quarry was flooded and the building etc are now submerged. So to answer your question, yes there may well be stuff to see.
Old 13 April 2004, 12:27 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Very sorry to hear that

I'm sure that anywhere (other than under supervision in swimming pools) has it's dangers
Old 13 April 2004, 12:29 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Likewise - sorry to hear that, but was it the location that was the issue or faulty equipment, lack of experience or 101 other things?

If a quarry has old building etc then yes there will be the risk of getting hung up or damaging equipment, but no real difference to exploring a wreck in the sea. I suspect that the visibility may have been a factor however
Old 13 April 2004, 08:57 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SHESCOOBY
Why do people scuba dive in a Quarry?

Its so Dangerous as we have discovered today
I'm sorry to hear about your workmate and his girlfriend but SCUBA diving is a dangerous sport, period. Those who do it know the risks and how to mitigate them as much as possible... or they dive at the risk of their life and their dive buddy's.

I've only been diving in the ocean yet I've had a close call - it's not fun to see the underside of a car ferry overhead when you're ascending. If I hadn't tried to hold my dive buddy to a decompression stop, he would have been on the surface and right in its path. As it was, he was close enough that I thought the bow propellor guard had clipped him. (He claimed he didn't feel it) Nobody hurt but it scared the bejeezus out of us. The idiot tried to laugh it off but we screwed up. Needless to say I wasn't going back down that day or with him.

And that's over and above the routine risks of running out of air, losing your reg and panicking, being with someone else who panicks, getting caught on a fishing line etc. that you accept every time you dive.

Bonkers.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sorry about your news.

Stoney cove in Leicestershire must be trauma site central as the amount of divers killed there in a year appears way too frequent for anything you'd call a sport.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:07 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your news

There is a quarry near here .... The Dorothea Quarry in Llanberis
I think 20 people have been killed there in the last 10 years but they keep coming.
There must be some attraction that outweighs the risk. I think its one of the deepest maybe?
A diver died a few weeks ago and there were other divers arriving to dive while the search was still ongoing.
The thing is the current quarry owners have tried to stop the divers by blocking roads down to the water but it hasn't worked.
They really need to make it a proper diving centre so at least if anyone does get into trouble there is some sort of help on site.
Cath
Old 14 April 2004, 01:00 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Old 14 April 2004, 06:10 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

saw this in the paper today. very sad
Old 14 April 2004, 06:35 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

if this is the two deaths that happened in a gloucester quarry then ive just seen the report on meridian news.

Being a diver myself (both sport & an army diver) i can appreciate the dangers involved & its usually my job to pull the unfortunate ones out, grim eh.

Diving in a quarry is a dangerous as diving anywhere else, 'even a swimming pool', you can still drown in there.

As for the visibilty, ableit the darkness at depth it is very good usually as there is no current to stir the bottom up. i am trained to dive & work in nil-visibility and under very strong currents at depths of upto 50m - not very nice.

Anyway. without harping on, im very sad to hear about the deaths of your friends , a diver collegue of mine recently died also.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:59 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

one of the guys in our office does quarry diving, and he is absolutely fanatical about it!

from what he has told me there is sweet FA to see, or thats not why he does it, however they go down to phenomenal depths in pitch black darkness and hang out for very long periods of time.

i am no expert on this and i am sure someone will correct me, however the way he talks about it, its a very theraputic engaging and adrenalin inducing experience and its easy to do once you have the kit. he uses rebreathing tecnhiques and stays down for hours!!

not sure he convinced me to do one, i like seeing fishies, but nevertheless it sounds quite intrigiung.
Old 15 April 2004, 07:01 PM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

When you sit down & think about it SCUBA diving is a mad sport. What else do you do where the enviroment you`re in doesn't support human life? Your life is depending on 1 or 2 rubber O rings, no one on the surface knows where you`re at unless you have a marker bouy, or what depth you`re at and you have no voice communication with your buddy & so your hand signals could mean anything! The deeper you go the more drunk/scared/confident you get or all 3!. Unless you have 2 cylinders on your back (twinset or pony bottle) you only have one finite source of air & if you go deep (55m +) that poisons you! You don`t need a licence to buy any of the gear & so a totally untrained person can go diving unaware of the risks of decompression sickness or rates of ascent or deco stops.

Mental

Thats coming from a BSAC Sports diver & Parts 3 & 4 Commercial diver (ie me)
Old 15 April 2004, 07:44 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

so whats your point big lee :d
Old 15 April 2004, 07:50 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

only joking,

if you think about things like that
Your life is depending on 1 or 2 rubber O rings
you'll become a nervous wreck, (not for diving on)

you could get a load of statistics about how many bikers or car drivers get killed but it shouldn't put you off driving, the same with anything, bee stings, shark attacks, its all about competence at what ever your doing.
Old 15 April 2004, 10:19 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cactus jim
i am no expert on this and i am sure someone will correct me, however the way he talks about it, its a very theraputic engaging and adrenalin inducing experience and its easy to do once you have the kit. he uses rebreathing tecnhiques and stays down for hours!!
Don't make the mistake of thinking of SCUBA diving as "easy" - anyone who tries to tell you different is a fool and not someone I would want for a dive buddy.

You are going into a totally hostile environment - no breathable air - with only your wits, knowledge and preparation between you and death.

Note that I omitted your dive buddy because although he should be right there with you and looking out for you too - never dive with someone you don't trust or have confidence in - you should not rely on him being there if you get into trouble - you could get separated, he could be facing the other way and not look around in time, anything. You have to be able to deal with your own issues under pressue.

Diving is a fascinating sport and can be very relaxing... so long as you know your stuff and you respect the environment you are entering and its inherant dangers. Anything less is extreme folly.

Bonkers.