Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

An alternative to New Labour

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2004, 08:44 PM
starstruck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question An alternative to New Labour

With all the Political Correctness and touchy feely policies of Anthony Blair can anyone argue against a Party that states it's policy on Crime reduction will include -

A crack down on crime and civil disorder, starting with a toughening up of the courts and an end to politically correct interference with the police
The return of corporal punishment for petty criminals and vandals. It’s cheaper and far more effective than sending them on holiday!
The restoration of capital punishment for paedophiles, terrorists and premeditated murderers in cases backed up by DNA evidence.

Can anyone argue about this ?

S
Old 11 April 2004, 08:48 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I can't but I'm sure some will.

Chip.
Old 11 April 2004, 09:32 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

What politicians say they'll do before an election and what they actually deliver after they're elected...

Bonkers.

PS That's irrespective of political leanings - seems to be genetically ingrained in the sub-species.
Old 11 April 2004, 10:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Don't tell me -- that's the BNP's stance on crime, right?
Old 11 April 2004, 10:08 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by starstruck
Can anyone argue about this ?
sure - probably all the criminals, vandals, terrorists, etc etc

they'll lose out on their votes, thats for sure
Old 11 April 2004, 10:10 PM
starstruck
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately that is taken from the BNP. It seemed ironic that the Party which the vast majority of people find repulsive have such a policy which the majority would seem to agree with.

Cheers
Old 11 April 2004, 10:14 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by starstruck
Unfortunately that is taken from the BNP. It seemed ironic that the Party which the vast majority of people find repulsive have such a policy which the majority would seem to agree with.
i dont know - do the majority REALLY agree with that?

the fact that labour DONT have this policy, and the fact that the majority HAVE voted them in, to me means the majority of people DONT agree with BNPs policy on this, and instead agree with labours (why else would they be in power?).

i think you'll find the majority of people on this bbs probably hold those (BNPs) views on this - but as we've seen numerous times, the views of people on here do NOT always reflect the views of people in general.
Old 11 April 2004, 11:27 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
the fact that labour DONT have this policy, and the fact that the majority HAVE voted them in, to me means the majority of people DONT agree with BNPs policy on this, and instead agree with labours (why else would they be in power?).
Not necessarily. What that majority voted for was the overall package of Labour policies (and politicians), you cannot infer from that that the majority agreed with any one policy.

Bonkers.
Old 11 April 2004, 11:46 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonkers
Not necessarily. What that majority voted for was the overall package of Labour policies (and politicians), you cannot infer from that that the majority agreed with any one policy.
okay... put it this way.. the majority didn't oppose the policy ENOUGH to NOT vote labour in. hence they either agree with it or its not a MAJOR concern.

from a purely generalization point of view, i would personally say that tax policy, spending policy and crime policy would be the major swayers in an election (as these are clearly visible and affect us all). since taxes have gone up under labour, either people in general firmly agree with their crime policy, or they are so happy with the spending policy that they don't care about the crime policy (which i doubt).
Old 12 April 2004, 10:24 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Labour say they'll get tough on crime, but until they build more prisons, there's nowhere for the courts to send the scum.

A relation of mine is a career criminal, shoplifting to pay for his drug habit. He's been in court 20+ times and had many "last chances", but still he's never been sent down.

Fact: Crime pays and until more "Accommodation" is built to house the persistant offenders who beat the system, there will be no effective crackdown on crime.
Old 12 April 2004, 10:52 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

i dont know - do the majority REALLY agree with that?

Wrong.

Only 59% of the people eligible to vote actually voted in the last election.Of these Labour got 40%. That equates to only 23.6% of the eligible voters actually voting for Labour.

In 2001 the BNP was also not as prominent as it is now. Nor was the issue of asylum seekers,illegal immigrants such a big issue either.

Chip.
Old 12 April 2004, 10:54 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Many of these 'policies' state the obvious and most parties are along the same lines. For example all the parties promise to be tough on crime etc. What party ever says they're going to be weak on crime?

The difference is the HOW they will achieve that goal. How are all these new prisons going to be built, where's the money coming from to build them, HOW are they going to make complicated changes to the law so that the courts can be stiffer in their punishments, HOW are they going to strike a balance between crimes (you can't give the same punishment to a shoplifter as you would to an armed robber. what would that achieve apart from a lot less shoplifters and a lot more armed robberies!)
Old 12 April 2004, 11:05 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The BNP got 47129 votes in the last election. I would imagine that will bemuch,much higher next time but mostly as a protest vote.

Chip.
Old 12 April 2004, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree with that BNP policy on crime, but like any other potential party, saying they will do what they promise is a long way from them actually doing it for real.

If the govenment took a decent stance on punishment and deterrants to crime then perhaps they would not need to build more prisons.The only way to get some sense in the judicial system in this country is to adopt punishments like that of Singapore.

If all we can hand out is Suspensded sentances, juvinial prisons, open prisons, ASBOs and community services as punishment, with life inprisonment being the highest. How can we expect that petty criminals will not carry on where they left off the day they walk out of court/prison? Remember the slippery slope analogy?

Caning accompanied by an ASBO would go alot further than just an ASBO on it's own IMO. Sod the human rights.

And why should prisions have pool tables and TV's? If prison was a hell hole, then perhaps people would be less willing to go there.

If there was no sign a criminal convicted of severe inflictions on other people (rape, murder etc.) could be rehabilitated, then why should we bother paying to keep them alive in prison if they could never be let out without being a danger to the public. Gas 'em, shoot 'em, hang 'em I don't care....but it makes a space in a cell and more funds available for someone who could be rehabilitated.

Sometimes I wish I could run this country myself. But I'd have a feeling I would get every human rights person on my back and get branded a racist dictator, ahh well - doesn't matter who's in power, they will do as much wrong as good.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 April 2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12 April 2004, 12:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"The return of corporal punishment for petty criminals and vandals."

get real.....the majority do not agrree with stuff like this.

just because SN wants to beat car theives doesnt mean the rest of the UK does anymore than the rest of the UK wants to put stickers on their cars and dump valves!
Old 12 April 2004, 12:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

so what would you do with them instead?
Old 12 April 2004, 12:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have no idea.....which is why i run my business and let others run the country.

but i do know that whacking ppl is a naive way to achive anything.....what do you think they will do post whacking? "go straight"? no- they will just be pissed off and make sure they dont get caught next time.

T
Old 12 April 2004, 12:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
i have no idea.....which is why i run my business and let others run the country.

but i do know that whacking ppl is a naive way to achive anything.....what do you think they will do post whacking? "go straight"? no- they will just be pissed off and make sure they dont get caught next time.

T
Or they might not do it in the first place, which I would have thought was the idea.
Old 12 April 2004, 12:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Or they might not do it in the first place, which I would have thought was the idea.
Exactly!

Chip
Old 12 April 2004, 01:18 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Only 59% of the people eligible to vote actually voted in the last election.Of these Labour got 40%. That equates to only 23.6% of the eligible voters actually voting for Labour.
the other 41% of people who decided not to vote we can assume to still want labour in power. since they did not vote, it means they do not disagree with labours policies. fundamentally, the fact that they chose not to vote means they must be happy with the policies (or will have to admit they're hypocritical).

so suggest only 23.6% of people want labour in power is simply not realistic, as if the other 76.4% of people really didn't agree with labours' policies strongly enough, a different party would be in power.
Old 12 April 2004, 01:21 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
In 2001 the BNP was also not as prominent as it is now. Nor was the issue of asylum seekers,illegal immigrants such a big issue either.
we'll see what happens in the next election then. if labour stay in power, it means people must agree with their policies on immigrants. thats the point of an election afterall.

just because the people that shout the loudest (i.e. tabloid media) get heard the most, it doesnt mean they represent the majority of people who care enough to vote.
Old 12 April 2004, 01:48 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I see Crime of any sort has been with us for ever, But know I think we are being turned upside down, through the intervention of the Political Correct Lobby. I'm an English Man but due to these sort of People I cannot be, I can be Black, Asian Afro Carribian Scottish or Welsh or even any mix of the previous. But not ENGLISH. I have to listen to all the s*it on TV about Old Hook Hand preaching his vile services, then they say he's in reciept of £1000 a week hand outs. None of the leading Parties will do anything because of the P.C.Lobby, people might be offended, what about me I'm fookin offended and discriminated against. A typical hard working tax paying second rate citizen. Rant mode off.
Old 12 April 2004, 01:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

the other 41% of people who decided not to vote we can assume to still want labour in power. since they did not vote, it means they do not disagree with labours policies. fundamentally, the fact that they chose not to vote means they must be happy with the policies (or will have to admit they're hypocritical).

so suggest only 23.6% of people want labour in power is simply not realistic, as if the other 76.4% of people really didn't agree with labours' policies strongly enough, a different party would be in power.
Maybe to do with the fact there was such a weak opposition. Tories seem to be coming along a bit lately and polls show the same. So its just a case of wait and see what happens.

One thing is for certain though. We can't get any worse than we have in power now. So as Tony said "things can only get better"

Chip.
Old 12 April 2004, 02:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Failure to use your vote is to my mind a dereliction of duty. The reason I think is just pure apathy or laziness. Its no excuse at all to say things like all the parties are the same or that one vote means nothing, or that people feel that the right to abstain is significant. These are only excuses and are indefensible. Laziness is one thing and abstinence proves absolutely nothing positive at all politically speaking. This is theoretically a democracy and not bothering to vote will eventually lead to the loss of the right to vote and that will mean no more chance of any say in one's future.

It is about time that the authorities took hold of the wave of criminal behaviour which is growing almost exponentially. Much of it must stem from lack of parental guidance from people who are not even interested in bringing their children up to behave in a responsible manner. Many children probably can't see why they shouldn't go thieving or vandalising other's property. This of course will get worse as the next generation appears. This is a problem that needs to be addressed in a positive way.

If someone is found to have broken the law then they should expect to be punished accordingly. If there is no deterrent then of course they will act like the tail wagging the dog and just carry on to even better and more impressive crimes. Until these criminals learn that there is a real and unpleasant penalty awaiting them and that crime is just not worth the candle then the situation will just get worse and worse of course. All this PC stuff about trying to persuade them that they must not behave like that and that punishment is not correct for "human rights" reasons etc etc., and sending them on free holidays is so mindbendingly stupid because they don't even bother to pay lip service to it and go and do it all over again. They just laugh at it all as they leave the court!

If this problem is not grasped and really sorted out soon it will be too late and we will be living in total anarchy before long with 12 foot walls around our property!

Les
Old 12 April 2004, 02:47 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Leslie,
Read recently the Gov wants to make it compulsory to vote.Whether its by post or ballot box I think it would be a good thing.

Chip
Old 12 April 2004, 03:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Of course people should vote. Many millions of people have fought and died to establish and maintain domocarcy over the years. They are still doing so now in various places around the world.

Heard some black yoof, when asked why he didn't vote, reply with "Wot's innit for me then?"

How feckin' *STUPID* can you get???

UB
Old 12 April 2004, 04:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I Agree, it should be compulsory to vote. With the addition of a "none of the above" box. Then at least we would get reliable statistics on what this population really thinks of this government rather than resorting to speculation that can be manipulated to anything you want it to mean. I'd even agree for a compulsory vote without a none of the above box.

There is no real excuse not to vote, I do it by post, so it takes all but 20 seconds of my life to do (tick box, seal envelope and get out of the car to post on the way to work).

If this problem is not grasped and really sorted out soon it will be too late and we will be living in total anarchy before long with 12 foot walls around our property!
I agree....If anyone has been round Johannesburg (or any other large city) in South Africa and seen what measure people are forced to do to protect their own property - 15ft walls, razor wire, electric fencing, Chubb ARMED security - this is just for a house...not a bank! The UK IS going to end up like this if things continue like they are.
Old 12 April 2004, 04:16 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

if labour stay in power, it means people must agree with their policies on immigrants
No, it just means that people are in general happy with the package of policies that NL present. It's rather naive to assume that if a party gets into power then that means that people must agree with all of their policies. It's extremely unlikely that you'll ever get a party whose policies agree with yours on every subject.
Old 12 April 2004, 04:56 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Yes everyone should vote I agree, But what is the point in electing a party that will only shaft you every which way can. They are voted in buy us to run the country stated in the manifesto produced, not how they feel it should be. Did you vote to have 50 stealth tax rises, Toll roads, Congestion charges Money making Speed Laws, imigrants to wander in free and claim from the state or even vote to give them free houses, dental, NHS the list is endless. No you did not. So your reply is "Then vote for someone else" WHO they all pi$$ in the same pot and dont care about you or me. I would go one further and say that our Goverment's are only Puppets of a higher order. Sooner we leave E.U. the better then we can govern ourselfs the way we see fit
Old 12 April 2004, 05:07 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

It's a pity that governments seem to forget that they are our servants as soon as the come into power.

Chip.

Quick Reply: An alternative to New Labour