Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road Angel question?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2004, 11:34 AM
JTM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Road Angel question?

Anyone out there able to shed some light on a rumour that I have herd?

Is it true that the laser gun sensor on the Road Angel (not the fixed units)only picks up the laser signal once you have been tracked by the laser speed camera(gun). Thus making it too late to avoid the speed trap.

True/False

James
Old 11 April 2004, 11:41 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

False
Old 11 April 2004, 11:43 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Can be true - if the copper fires his speed gun at you when he sees you, you might detect the laser which also records your speed on the coppers speed gun.
Old 11 April 2004, 11:52 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

True, like all laser detectors next to useless...

Get yourself a jammer
Old 11 April 2004, 11:57 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

It is true in most circumstances laser detectors are next to useless
Old 11 April 2004, 12:08 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

TBH though you dont often see police using hand held guns now, they seem to prefer letting the "safety" camera partnerships just park up their van (on an open stretch of road, with an artificially low speed limit), open the back and catch virtually every motorist who drives past - all fully automated. Your Road Angel should detect this sort of speed trap, and this sort is probably the biggest threat.
Old 11 April 2004, 02:39 PM
hunter_abbott
Scooby Newbie

Wink True, get a laser diffuser

You're only real protection from this sort of thing is a laser diffuser. Have a look at the LRC 100. It's normally £349 but www.nav-now.co.uk have got a special offer on at the moment for £299, it's a no brainer!

It's saved my **** so often!

The good thing about these is that it gives you five seconds to slow down before the Police can get a speed on you.
Old 11 April 2004, 02:52 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not I hired a Laser Gun from Machine Mart, I have an Origin B2 linked to a LRC100 Jammer and it works fantastic after aliging the LRC100 diode correctly , the trouble with the laser detector was it did work no problem, but only when I was targetted directly, relying on laser scatter proved next to useless really as by the time you had a warning they more than likely would have had a speed warning on you.
Old 11 April 2004, 04:16 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angrybeats

The pic on your homepage is er interesting!

I'm thinking of getting an Origin B2 + maybe a jammer. Please can you give me any thoughts about the Origin - would you buy one again if you lost it? Also do you get any false alarms with the LRC200? How did you install the jammer? Is it a big job?

Some more things about the Origin, how does it update the database, how does it connect to the net, would it work via a proxy server? Is there a feature that you wish it had? How & where have you installed it in your car?

Thanks

Nick
Old 11 April 2004, 04:47 PM
hunter_abbott
Scooby Newbie

I know I'm not Angrybeats but I've got one so I'll stick my 2 cents in!

Origin b2 is a good piece of kit. I've got it hooked up to an LRC 100 laser jammer as well.

The LRC is pretty good for false alarms, I think I've had a couple but you never really know because the Police have a habit of hanging out in the most unsociable places - such as bridges and behind bushes. It could have been that it just picked up Police I didn't even see!

It's not too difficult to install, one afternoon on a Sunday should do it.

One thing I love about the LRC 100 is that it's soooo stealth and fully automatic. When it sences a laser gun it jamms it for 5 seconds then turn itself off for 60 seconds. This means that it gives you time to slow down safely and then the police can get a speed on you. Once they have a speed they're happy and leave you alone!

The Origin b2 updates via your computer's internet connection. It didn't work through our LAN at first but this was due to the firewall. Once we programmed the firewall to let Origin Technology's web-site see our PC it was fine. If you've got a dail up connection that's easiest. If you can also get an optional modem for it if you can't connect through your firewall.

The database itself is updated by Origin's team of guys and each and every b2 owner. Origin's database is pretty complete but if you come accross a camera you press a button on the unit and next time you connect it to your PC it will tell Origin about the new camera. They'll then send a guy out to check it's location and add it to the database. Clever, huh?

There's only one improvement I'd make to the b2 - the voice. It has a voice that tells you what the hazard is: blackspot, gatso etc. and it's a bit weedy. The beeps are fine but the voice is just a tad annoying and I've it turned off on mine.

If you want to get the Origin b2 and the LRC 100 together you'll need a connection cable to link the two. There's a package on http://www.nav-now.co.uk/lrc_100_laser_diffuser.htm.

Originally Posted by Nick
Angrybeats

The pic on your homepage is er interesting!

I'm thinking of getting an Origin B2 + maybe a jammer. Please can you give me any thoughts about the Origin - would you buy one again if you lost it? Also do you get any false alarms with the LRC200? How did you install the jammer? Is it a big job?

Some more things about the Origin, how does it update the database, how does it connect to the net, would it work via a proxy server? Is there a feature that you wish it had? How & where have you installed it in your car?

Thanks

Nick
Old 11 April 2004, 04:55 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Never had any false alarms, and had it go off 4 times without any problem, the last a handheld gun near Jag in Coventry...

The LRC100 on it's own is a pain in the **** to fit, seperate switch, buzzer and harness needs to be installed. Origin supply a patch lead which allows you to plug the din connector / sensor directly into the Origin B2 unit really simple......

You can buy a seperate modem to update the database but standard supply is a USB device that powers up the Origin B2 unit via the computer, you have to install a little software program, run it click to update it and job done. easy really...I'm not that into computers so cannot really answer the proxy question...

Couple of pics at the bottom of this page http://www.evoposters.net/carsb/album15

Note the GPS aerial on facia cover...

The LRC100 Diode is mounted just under the numberplate and fixed to the plinth piccy http://www.evoposters.net/carpics/Angrybeats/lrc100.jpg

You could fit the jammer and the Origin B2 in your car in 1/2 hour providing you have the LRC100 patch lead...
Old 11 April 2004, 05:17 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Just updated mine just, the cable used for updates is a serial cable powered by the supplied adaptor...woops...

I have a serial to usb convertor on my lap top thats all
Old 11 April 2004, 06:54 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks Angrybeats

I'm leaning towards the Origin B2/LRC100 kit. Thanks for your help. How often are updates available?

Regards
Nick
Old 11 April 2004, 11:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

How much are you talking to hire a laser gun for testing thse devices on your own then ?? " mn angrbeats " you say machine mart do them for hire mate, any more info ?? have a blinder laser jammer that I wouldnt mind testing !!!
Old 12 April 2004, 12:13 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Origin b2 is the way to go, or road pilot if your not so good at directions

Old 12 April 2004, 09:53 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Can you see the Origin down there?

What's that TSL display thingy?