Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No satellite signal is being received

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2004, 01:20 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No satellite signal is being received

OK, so we moved last week into a rented house and fortunately it already had a sky dish so plugged my digi-box in and away we went. Bizarrely though most channels work OK except all the BBC channels and ITV1/2 where I get the above message. Been onto sky and been through all their fault finding stuff and now they want to send an engineer out, dont want to pay for a new dish cos we will only be there for 6 months, just wondered if anyone had come across this and knew what the problem might be?

cheers

Gary
Old 05 April 2004, 01:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

BBC is broadcast on the 2D satellite which has a tighter footprint than other channels ie requires a better signal for reception. Don't know about ITV as I don't have a viewing card for it.

So it could be that the dish is slightly out of alignment, or it could even be the digibox needing a firmware update.

Have a look at your signal strength and signal quality readings- you will need at least 40% signal quality to view BBC free to air via digisat.

If you can pick up other channels then you are able to 'see' some Astra transponders, perhaps just not the ones you want.
Old 05 April 2004, 01:54 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

cheers nacro!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:59 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

well i was having probs i was sent an engineer to come out £60 it was guna cost.
Anyway he basically unscrewed the thingy (looks like an Arial) at the back, blew into it and then screwed it back in, and walla it worked, now if the stupid woman on the phone told me to do that then I wouldnt of had to pay for a Engineer, but I didnt actually pay I basically kicked up a fuss and they didnt charge me.
I have been told to do this aswell when your TV pic goes like blocks, apparently theres to much static around so thats what you have to do,

Dont know if that helps but you can try

Old 05 April 2004, 02:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Depending on where the dish is try giving it a very gentle prod with something (even better if you can get to it and see your screen at the same time) it will be the work of a few minutes to get signal quality higher and your BBC channels should appear.

Doubt very much it's static but you never know give it a try!
Old 06 April 2004, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It could just have been a poor connection from that plug and by unscrewing it and re-installing it sorted the connection out.

As Nacro says, the line up is pretty critical and you will hardly have to move the dish to make a difference to the signal. Have to be careful not to overdo it.

Les
Old 06 April 2004, 01:57 PM
gallows_fool
Scooby Newbie

Press your services button, go to option 4 for system setup, then very quickly type in "01, select". This takes you to a secret menu that engineers use. you do the thing called "astra-scan" and it's a full system reset.

Failing that, unplug the box from the wall, unscrew the aerial connection form the back, stick it back in again, power it up and press stand-by after 30 secs (this releases static)

Failing THAT! Call sky and & ask them how much a call-out fee will be and they'll say £40. tell them it's too expensive & you'll just cancel your a/c. They'll put you throught o the retentions team who'll offer you a free call out.

Good luck ....
Old 06 April 2004, 02:12 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

gallows,

thanks for the heads up, tried the old unpluggin malarkey, but hey maybe worth trying the nah f**k it i'll cancel route though!

cheers

Gary