Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Have you driven drunk?
Yes
42.55%
Only up to the legal limit
21.28%
Never/No, I haven't
32.98%
Not after I was caught....
3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Drink Driving - Have you?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2004, 12:23 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drink Driving - Have you?

After 'Pis*ed at work' on C4, this got me thinking....

How many of you have driven drunk, and what happened?

Damo
Old 05 April 2004, 12:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

define "drunk"

I've driven and have probably been over the limit, but hardly could be defined as in a legless state.

What happened? I drove to my destination, and carried on with usual business. If anything I drove more cautiously and slowly.

I'm sure somebody will remind me of the effects and what it does, and my ignorant selfish actions
Old 05 April 2004, 12:32 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Maybe slightly dubious the next morning on one occasion ! But i didn't have much choice.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:34 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

99.9% have at one time in their life and nothing happened (got waay with it)
so all are hypocrites on this subject apart from the 0.1% sanctimonious holier than thou halo on their heads bunch

you get wise with age
Old 05 April 2004, 12:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I do not touch alcohol at all if I am driving.

However, I am slightly worried about a friend of mine who drinks 10 pints of beer in the evening and then gets up at 5am and drive. I'm sure he is over the limit most of the time he drives to work.

Steve.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:42 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!

don't drink so not a cat in hells chance of me getting done for it. Never have, never will.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:45 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

used to on occasion when living in rural areas, havnt done for years now- rather geta taxi if I am going to drink.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:49 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

When I was younger yes. Now never.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:49 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

3 pints of Stella, a course of antibiotics and no lunch caused me to obliterate my 5 month old 1990 Sapphire Cosworth when I was 19 nearly killing myself and another couple in a car coming the other way. Although no-one was seriously hurt the twisted metal carnage was unbelievable, and the police had to crow-bar me out of the car which landed upside down with a ruptured fuel tank. I was terrified. It was a valuable lesson at just the right time and to this day I never touch a drop if I have to get behind the wheel.
Even if you think you can take your beer, and the old 'I'll be alright, I won't get a tug' attitude should not be risked, it just isn't worth it. All it takes is one minor error of judgement, a fraction of a second of reaction time lost to kill yourself or other road users. Drink drivers really do deserve all they get.
I'm kind of glad I learned early on, as I know quite a lot of people who have the same attitude as ALi-B, and once they get into the habit the only thing that stops them is either an accident or a ban.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Yes, my friends and I used to regularly use the works jeep to get from one end of the estate we were landscaping to another. About 4 miles in all to get to the pub, then drive back after drinking 5 or 6 pints (or more at the weekend).

All done on private land so no problem. It was interesting to note that none of us thought we were impaired at all until we drove through a wire fence without actually realising it until we sobered up in the morning.

Wouldn't do it on a public road as there are other road users and of course the threat of a ban.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

same attitude as ALi-B
I was actually refering to teh day after moreso than on the night
Old 05 April 2004, 12:55 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I had a little too much one night and drove home, got chased by the police and got pulled over a few miles later, failed test, arrested, taken to station where i then passed.

valuable lesson learned i think, nows its a one pint rule which i know some will think is still a pint too much
Old 05 April 2004, 01:00 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

I used to on my motorbikes and in my first couple of cars. The worst I was actually bouncing off kerbs whilst driving. Looking back I'm so lucky I didn't get caught, or worse still have an accident. Now I have a nice car and a few years extra on my shoulders, I don't touch even a pint before driving.
Old 05 April 2004, 01:01 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Never touch a drop of alcohol if I know that I'm going to be driving. If I do drink, which is seldom as alcohol has no effect on me, then I don't drive.
Old 05 April 2004, 01:06 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Got left stranded by mates once, so i ended up driving home after about 5 pints - very silly. not big, not clever - and luckily not caught!!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:07 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Not good.

Never done it myself but I have been a victim of somebody elses drinking and driving- result= 1 broken neck, pelvis, and thumbs plus an 8 month stay in hospital and a fúcked future.

So don't do it hey!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:07 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Yep... same as most i think, did it when i was younger, drove from a pub, about half a mile (not even worth getting in the car for i know) got pulled and to this day have no idea how i got away with it. The breath test gear must have been faulty. Put the ***** up me big time, never again!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:24 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

The one time i was totally f*cked (like a whole bottle of smirnoff blue neat....) and i tried to drive (had just split with girlfriend and had a massive row) my best mate stopped me by parking his pride and joy car in front of my driveway... sensible bloke and i will never forget him doing that for me either.

At work i will have max 2 shots of vodka with a large coke mixer - nothing more- and i will not drink at work after half 11...so when i eventually leave at half 2/3 ish im fine. ( 1 hr per unit plus an additional hour)
Old 05 April 2004, 01:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

We've all done things we are not proud of in the past! Yes it was stupid, but I don't need to go into details as I'm sure it was much the same as most of the others here.

I can honestly say I haven't driven over the limit in over ten years! (I'm 31 now!)

Nowadays, worse case is one pint, but normally just diet coke!
Old 05 April 2004, 01:55 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I have driven whilst drunk once, morning after a heavy night. I don't plan to repeat it.

I was a passenger in a car when I was about 10 and the driver (mates dad) was driving drunk. We hit the side of a stone bridge at I guess 30 mph. The bumper was almost level with the windsreen on the corner hit. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance with a head injury, a bad cut rather than anything more serious. Of course there were no rear seatbelts in those days so I was lucky to get away with it. My mate's dad got banned for 2 years.

btw NACRO, IIRC I think that you can get done for drink driving on private land if there is public access to the land, public footpath, bridleway etc.

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 05 April 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05 April 2004, 02:20 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I know someone who lives in the middle of Devon, right in the sticks. He drove his landrover back from the pub completely bolloxed and when he woke up he found it parked on the garden, it had undergrowth caught round the bumpers and mirrors and blood splattered up the bonnet. Freaked him out completely!

He retraced the route absolutley crapping himself and found a dead deer! Lesson learnt!
Old 05 April 2004, 02:21 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm in exactly the same boat as Andy, about 13 years ago in my student days drove 1 mile from campus to get a ****.

I have never DD again and follow the 1 pint rule (non 5%) usually spread over 2 pints of shandy, then onto halfs of coke. And thats because I can't stomach 2-3 pints of coke, lemonade or OJ etc of an evening.

BTW it was a good ****.

Last edited by Jay m A; 05 April 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05 April 2004, 02:23 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

So from this thread, are you saying someone driving without a licence is more dangerous than a person driving under the influence?!

I got abuse when I admitted to driving without a licence, seems it's more acceptable to drive when pissed, doesn't it...
Old 05 April 2004, 02:28 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Brother nearly killed by my uncle who he'd been out with that night, car went down a ditch, slid on its passenger side before a tree ripped the roof off - the a pillar catching his head as it was torn off! Result was a 2 week coma, brain surgery and a decent bruv changed forever - slightly slurred speech, slower reactions and him being more clumsy now. Luckily no real brain damage.

It did however teach me from an early age (15) of the consequences it can cause...
Old 05 April 2004, 02:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have ever got totally mashed and driven? nope. have I had a couple of pints and driven? yes, I have, and I'm not particularly proud of it, I used to be a very good boy and not drink at all if driving.

Have I driven "the morning after" hell yes, and have I probably been over the limit? I'd have to say yes. Proud? nope, but I was silly enough to drink on a school night and had to get into work, ok, so it was like have a comatose monkey in the office, but I at least made it in. I may have had a thumping head, but I could see straight and was very very aware of what I was doing.
Old 05 April 2004, 03:04 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

never on the night - always take a taxi or organise a lift - I would occasionally have a glass of wine with a meal. I probably have been over the limit next morning when I was younger. Now if I am going on the blatter I make sure i am not driving for at least 12 hours afterwards.

Used to get completely smashed in the students union and then ride my bicycle home. Got done for D&C of a bicycle once. He didn't even laugh when I explained that I was only riding the bicycle cos i was too pished to stand up and walk
Old 05 April 2004, 03:05 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

No, but have had three mates killed by drunk drivers and one killed while driving drunk. Perhaps that's why I'm a little twitchy about it.

Chaos, the reason you got abuse was because of your attitude. Nobody here is saying (or implying) that they're happy or proud of having driven drunk or that there was a good reason for it (like, say, failing their sobriety test because the examiner was biased/incompetent/deaf dumb and blind/all of the above).

SB
Old 05 April 2004, 03:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Let me remind you of your ignorant and selfish actions Ali-B.

Someone has got to, and you did ask for it.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 05 April 2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05 April 2004, 04:11 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaos.
So from this thread, are you saying someone driving without a licence is more dangerous than a person driving under the influence?!

I got abuse when I admitted to driving without a licence, seems it's more acceptable to drive when pissed, doesn't it...
I admit my mistake. There was only one person to blame and that was me. It was stupid and not something that has even cross my mind for the last 10 years!

Luckily I did not have to learn the hard way and I hope none of you have to either.

I regret what I have done, do you regret driving without a licence?
I have learnt it was the wrong thing to do, have you?
I only blame myself for what I have done, are you responsible enough to put your hand up and admit your mistakes?
Old 05 April 2004, 04:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Haven't read all the messages but this is what happened to me.

3 Years ago I went out with my girlfriend and a girl she lived with and her boyfriend. I didn't want to go becuase the other girl and boyfriend always argued once drunk and he was a very dangerous person in my eyes (35-40 ex-boxer, complete nutter who I'd been warned to stay well away from by my girlfriends dad)

Anyway I couldn't get out of it and we took a taxi into town. Came home about 11pm and I was not too drunk but certainly over the limit. Get home to this girls house and her and boyfriend kick off. I (stupidly) tried to calm things down and he dragged me outside to beat me up.

Once outside I pushed him off me and his and mine girlfriend tried to calm him down to no avail, I tried to walk with my girlfriend away but he wouldn't stay away and went for girlfriend too. We both ran from him and got in my car and I drove home.

During all this shouting and screaming outside a neighbour called the police. Once at the girls house she and boyfriend told them I'd driven home, 15 minutes later they are on my doorstep and charging me with drink driving.

Took 3 hearings and about 6 months but lost my case becuase I wasn't beaten up badly enough in the eyes of the judge. Also when walking past my car the policeman put his hand on the bonnet and I did the same and the cheeky bast$$rd said it was hot so had obviously been driven.

Quick Reply: Drink Driving - Have you?