Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

All remaining respect for the courts has disappeared now...

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 06:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry All remaining respect for the courts has disappeared now...

The lunatics really are running the asylum.

Read this and weep.
Old 25 March 2004, 06:41 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

wait wait wait,,,,,,,, £100 pound fine for driving without a license??!!! what am i doing paying thousands to get myself legally on the road for then?!?! 'cheaper t'other way.
Old 25 March 2004, 06:42 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Shocking is all I can say!!

Darren
Old 25 March 2004, 06:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Why am I not surprised?

Magistrate=w@nker, these days.

Alcazar
Old 25 March 2004, 06:43 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Absolutely stupid. Just shows that some Magistrates do not live on this planet.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:27 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I wrote a really long reply to this, but I'm not going to bother, as this thread seems to be an outlet for peoples woes against society.

I think everyone should take a long hard look at what they did at 19 (however foolish) and consider the consequences of every law you broke.

90% of us would be in jail! He obviously has no cash in the first place for insurance/tax - what are you honestly going to do? Make him do hard labour?

Damian

Last edited by damian666; 25 March 2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Are you for real man??

If he doesn't have the money he should n't be on the road.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:49 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by damian666
He obviously has no cash in the first place for insurance/tax - what are you honestly going to do? Make him do hard labour?

Damian
Oh dear, oh dear. This attitude does not help.

It is the bad parents of this new generation that have an attitude like yours which causes these problems. The kid has been brought up to believe the world owes him.

Shocking way to bring up children. The parents are partly to blame for lack of control and discipline and for not teaching their kids morals. Nothing wrong with a bit of waywardness in your teens (I do believe one has to find the boundaries of ones new adult world), but anything with one ending up in court is beyond an acceptable definition of rebellious teenage years.

Last edited by imlach; 25 March 2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

fcking insane! I could say it's due to them being Welsh, but I don't think even that is a fair enough excuse for just a travesty of justice.

As to what should have been done with him, well, he could have paid a quid a week or something for many many years to come until the fine is paid of, that would have been something, although not much.

strip him of his driving licence, ban him for 5 years, and put him in stocks so everyone can throw rotten veg at him.
Old 25 March 2004, 09:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

give them hard labour it might make them sit up and take notice...

damien ?? are you for real!!!!

its precisly this commit the crime serve no time attitude that causes the problems we have,,,

what has the poor lickle offender learnt from this??? he now knows that if he does it again he,ll get off!!!!!

hard labour would certainly give them the wake up call they need!!

it reminds me of brat camp!!! the kids are absoloute sods,,,, there parents sent them to brat camp to be rehabilitated,,,,

what happens the kids write home bleating and its the poor lickel baby syndrome and mummy is going to bail them out for chrimbo

these are the loving children, one of which broke his mothers ribs!!!!

i wasnt exactly a saint at 19 but i knew the differance between right and wrong

somthing this individual seems unable to0!!

Imlach spot on!!

mart
Old 25 March 2004, 09:27 PM
ChrisB

He obviously has no cash in the first place for insurance/tax - what are you honestly going to do? Make him do hard labour?
Damian
How about not drive to start with?

Imlach and B20 - well said guys.

Can Magistrates be sacked? That women shouldn't hear another case... ever.
Old 25 March 2004, 09:49 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

I wrote a really long reply to this, but I'm not going to bother, as this thread seems to be an outlet for peoples woes against society.

I think everyone should take a long hard look at what they did at 19 (however foolish) and consider the consequences of every law you broke.

90% of us would be in jail! He obviously has no cash in the first place for insurance/tax - what are you honestly going to do? Make him do hard labour?

Damian
You must have a pretty dodgy peer group if you all ended up in court in your teens. None of mine did.

Also, I don't care if the little ****** is paying off the fine until he receives a state pension - he should have to pay. Docking his dole money/welfare might make him think twice.

Alternatively, some form of public service should be required. Something like road sweeping. Even better, polishing the rails at Clapham Junction in the morning rush hour.

Did this judge not think that this sends out a message confirming what all scumbags already knew - commit crimes repeatedly and you will get away scot free.

Lastly, I'm sorry if this - and many similar threads - bore you, but I was fairly sure that those SN'etters that hadn't seen the story themselves, would want to know that this kind of thing is happening. Maybe you could avoid reading them if they upset you so much...
Old 25 March 2004, 10:00 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Damian I cannot believe you said that........

Old 25 March 2004, 10:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Danbo
Damian I cannot believe you said that........

Am I the only one who did expect he'd say that then?
Old 25 March 2004, 10:15 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

NO licence
NO insurance
NO MOT
Possession of drugs

...equals NO punishment

:speechless:

mb
Old 26 March 2004, 12:33 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

His fine was about the average month's insurance premium on a 2l turbo motor. Or exactly the same as being flashed in a London Bus Lane even you had to go into it to prevent an accident.

Or a decent tyre............

Old 26 March 2004, 12:37 AM
ThePosh
Scooby Regular

Yeh, but it's okay as we will all fund this one through our increased payments!

A pi55ed off,

Posh
Old 26 March 2004, 04:00 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
fcking insane! I could say it's due to them being Welsh..
And you point is what exactly ? Do English kids not break the law and do English magistrates never make stupid decisions ? If it wasn't such a stupid thing to say I might take offence.
Old 26 March 2004, 07:39 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

OK - maybe my previous reply was a little rash. What I am trying to say is this:

It does not mention any previous offences.
He pleaded Guilty.
He is still fairly young.

We no nothing of this guys prior circumstances, although considering the leniency of the court, this must be a first offence. What I am trying to put across here is that this '******' drove without insurance etc, fair enough. He was caught, fair enough - but if the court forced him to pay a huge fine, it may push him to futher crime to pay it. Either that, or maybe it comes out of mis dole money. Or he goes to jail. I'm saying that instead of the taxpayer forking out for this guy in the long run, he gets a bit of a shock in court - of any kind.

My stance seems undefensible, but this report seems to just push the shocking side of things. What about this:

A driver today was fined £417 after driving his girlfriend to Hospital in an emergency. His girlfriend, 21yr old x usually accompanied him while he drove on 'L' plates, although the court decided that she was in an unfit state to accompany him on this occasion, invalidating both his insurance, and his licence to drive on the road. The car, whose MOT has expired the week before, was in a roadworthy and legal condition when later tested by the VOSA. A small amount of cannabis was discovered in the vehicle - as the 19 yr old was driving at the time, possession of the drug became his next concern.

Its not that far fetched - and all I'm saying is that the BBC story seems to have a lot of shock value attached to it.

Don't people deserve a second chance? Possibly, depending on the circumstances - unless we know the full story (which we do not) then we surely cannot comment. However, since you guys have, here is a retort

Of course, if he was hooning around in a Pug 205 without licence/insurance that his dad wouldn't buy for him (look it up ) then he should be shot

Damo
Old 26 March 2004, 07:48 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I'm speechless, but I'd still like to bust his head the scum bag!!!!!!!!
Old 26 March 2004, 09:15 AM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Apart from when it says -
"He was fined £100 for driving without insurance, and magistrates were told he already owed £317 for previous offence of driving without road tax. "
Old 26 March 2004, 09:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

This sort of thing is common where I live. Every week there is a list of "dealt with by the courts" in our local rag. It usually runs something like this:

Joe Bloggs, posession of drugs, burglary, (2 counts) , receiving stolen goods,
shoplifting, breaking community service order: another c/s order.

Tom Pratt, speeding, first offence: £250 fine and 6 points on his license.

WTF???????????

Alcazar
Old 26 March 2004, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

At the age of 19 he has no excuse for not knowing the difference between right and wrong. At his age I was trusted to fly jets for goodness sake! I cannot believe the actions of those magistrates.

I agree totally with Bravo2Zero, he should get the book thrown at him.

Les
Old 26 March 2004, 12:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Leslie,

prehaps an abstract lesson in physics...

stand him behind one of your jets, and give his some afterburner...

result

for every action, there is a reaction, and one less numpty to worry about

Mart
Old 26 March 2004, 12:49 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

OK - maybe my previous reply was a little rash. What I am trying to say is this:

He pleaded Guilty.
He is still fairly young.

We no nothing of this guys prior circumstances, although considering the leniency of the court, this must be a first offence. What I am trying to put across here is that this '******' drove without insurance etc, fair enough. He was caught, fair enough - but if the court forced him to pay a huge fine, it may push him to futher crime to pay it. Either that, or maybe it comes out of mis dole money. Or he goes to jail. I'm saying that instead of the taxpayer forking out for this guy in the long run, he gets a bit of a shock in court - of any kind.

My stance seems undefensible, but this report seems to just push the shocking side of things. What about this:

A driver today was fined £417 after driving his girlfriend to Hospital in an emergency. His girlfriend, 21yr old x usually accompanied him while he drove on 'L' plates, although the court decided that she was in an unfit state to accompany him on this occasion, invalidating both his insurance, and his licence to drive on the road. The car, whose MOT has expired the week before, was in a roadworthy and legal condition when later tested by the VOSA. A small amount of cannabis was discovered in the vehicle - as the 19 yr old was driving at the time, possession of the drug became his next concern.

Its not that far fetched - and all I'm saying is that the BBC story seems to have a lot of shock value attached to it.

Don't people deserve a second chance? Possibly, depending on the circumstances - unless we know the full story (which we do not) then we surely cannot comment. However, since you guys have, here is a retort

Of course, if he was hooning around in a Pug 205 without licence/insurance that his dad wouldn't buy for him (look it up ) then he should be shot

Damo
It wasn't his first offence - he already owed £317 for driving without tax. So he'd already got done once for a related offence and kept offending.

Would be saying be so lenient if he'd hit your car while driving w/o insurance?

At 19 he's fully old enough to take responsibility for his actions, I know I was at that age. If he isnt then he shouldn't be piloting around approx 1 ton of metal at 30-70mph should he really?

You say he "obviously" couldnt afford the insurance, how do you know this? It makes no comment on his financial situation at all. Mind you I hear cannabis is quite expensive these days so maybe thats why he couldnt afford it. Even if that is the case and he didnt buy insurance cos he was skint then he shouldnt have been driving!

[EDIT] sorry if I have repeated some of the content of the last few posts. I read thread quickly and managed to miss some of it so I sound like a stuck record, sorry!
Old 26 March 2004, 12:58 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My flabber has never been so gast!!!!!

I got fined 200quid for not having a TV licence for a TV I didn't even own.

Maybe I will ditch my insurance and road tax and just pay the fines when I get caught, or ask to sit quietly in the back of the court reflecting on my misdomeaners(sp)
Old 26 March 2004, 02:57 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Damian
...well if it means there's less potholes for me alloys to get bent in... then YES!

There's got to be a middle way between mindless "Penal Servitude" and the wishy-washy liberal "fluffy sheets and one to a cell" lobby.

...whilst they're doing the roads, they can get those leaves off the railways too. Voila! Trains runs on time.