Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling a car: I'm mighty p!ssed off!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2004, 11:45 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car: I'm mighty p!ssed off!!

This is just unreal I've had so many people that are, 'really interested' but don't turn up when we arrange a viewing/drive!! The last one just takes the fecking biscuit!! I was all set to take the car to the dealer on sat morning as he'd offered £7350 when some guy from Manchester phoned back saying he really wanted to come see it and if it was described he'd take it. I told him I was set to go to the dealer but he pleaded with me to wait and that he'd be up first thing on Sunday with £7400! Now here is my mistake - for the sake of £50, some fuel money for the drive through to Falkirk and the hassle factor of going to the dealer I decided to put off going to the dealer and wait for this guy. So here we are at near mid-day and where the **** is he???? What happened to 'Mr. I'll drive up through the night and be there at 7:30am'?? And shock, horror.............his phone is turned off

Now I have to go making some bullsh!t story to the dealer about why I didn't pich up on Saturday and may have missed my chance. So here is the lesson peeps - don't rely on anyone. If you get an offer you are happy with take it there and then and don't hang on for some waster that will pay a little more, etc. Its just not friggin worth the hassle

Stuff selling the scooby to invest money in the flat! The thing has p!ssed me off so much I'm going to go shopping and then out to get absolutely blootered with the money
Old 21 March 2004, 12:09 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

It was probably chaos being a dick.

So it's still on with the dealer then?
Old 21 March 2004, 12:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've no idea I've tried phoning but there is no answer. I'd have thought sales would be open on a Sunday
Old 21 March 2004, 12:29 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

My phones back on now matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No........ feel for you matey what a total sh*t, still you might still get shut at the dealer. Ever had it up the a**e!!!!!!!!!!
dave
Old 21 March 2004, 12:31 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

If it's only a small dealer then maybe they close.

Hope they do buy it for your sake m8, can't believe you've not sold this yet, a 99 classic for 7.5k seems a bargain.
Old 21 March 2004, 01:06 PM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Sounds just like a dealers life to me.
You should still be OK with the dealer as he wants your car to sell and make money.
Old 21 March 2004, 01:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The problem is I have been to honest with people telling them everything I can possibly think of that is wrong with the car. The bottom line is I'm a die hard enthusiast and most people wouldn't even notice the stuff I do. From now on I'm just going to say, 'if you want to see the car come and view and drive it yourself' and if that means they might make a long wasted journey then tough!

To date not a single person has come to see it and its sitting in the car port right now all cleaned up wearing lovely new boots and looking the biz.
Old 21 March 2004, 02:27 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny,

Not good. You have my sympathies. Looks like you are going to the dealers then.

How come you are selling after all the hard work you have put into the car? Did I miss a thread somewhere on this? If this means you are out of Scoobs for good then I'm gutted. You have been one of the good un's on here over the last couple of years, even with fuel surge !

Cheers matey, hope you can get sorted quickly.

WB
Old 21 March 2004, 03:05 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Name, shame and number please!
Old 21 March 2004, 03:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

All the work has been undone banana - I put the car back to standard a few months ago. I then bought John Banks 406 V6 cause it was cheap, comfy and relatively fast. When/if I sell the scooby I'll have some money to invest in my flat which is my current priority.

I hope to get financially 'sorted' in the next few years and then return to performance cars

I fancy a VERY fast scooby in the future......
Old 21 March 2004, 03:50 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

That really does take the p*ss, I know how you feel too as I was waiting on knowing what had happened. I personally wouldn't have held on for the Manc.

Still If you want a defo sale I'll come cash in hand tommorow.
Old 21 March 2004, 03:53 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

The problem is I have been to honest with people telling them everything I can possibly think of that is wrong with the car
if they ask,then tell em,fair enough,but why offer up everything in the first place?
Old 21 March 2004, 08:54 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Always the same when you sell ANY car.

When they call, treat it all as bull**** unless proved otherwise.

Had a do at selling my old smoker a few weeks on here. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=302085

Makes amusing reading. Guy promises the world, yet not even a phone call.

Fared little better in the Trader, a different guy booked an appointment to view, interfering with a night in the pub. He never showed. Had the audacity to ring and apologise next day, booked another appointment the night after. Never showed again (ruining another pub night). Tossers, but to be expected. Its sold now.

I am pretty sure there are people who buy Auto Trader and just ring numbers on adverts for no other reason to completely waste people's time.
Old 21 March 2004, 10:33 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem with selling a car privately, people will always mess you about and/or let you down.
Advertised my car in the Autotrader and the only response I got was all of the canvassers ringing me up, well p****d off.
Got lucky, droped the price and sold it the next day to the first punter that rang me up, and still got alot more for it than i had been offered in the trade.
At least with a dealer you have the convenience of handing your car over and driving off in a new one.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thats the last time I change plans to suit someone. I missed a bevvy on saturday night as well so I'd be fit to drive in the morning!
Old 21 March 2004, 11:28 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Easy to say in retrospect I guess, but as you said, for the sake of £50 (and with the associated risks of private buyers etc), can't believe you risked the dealers offer for someone non-local

We all live & learn
Old 21 March 2004, 11:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Kenny and Scoobyvirgin - from what Ive read we havethe following situation:

Kenny wants £7350
SV offers £7000

So why not meet in the middle? SV gets his Scoob, you get rid of the burden.

You are both only out by £175 then!!
Old 21 March 2004, 11:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Scoobyvirgin has made it clear he wants the car for £7k. I'm perfectly happy to accept that offer when all other options are exhausted. I'll phone the dealer first thing tomorrow and failing any action scoobyvirgin will be informed by lunchtime.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The problem on here is that everyone knows you've been trying to sell it for months without success - hence why someone can come on and offer £7k knowing you're going to think about it....

Shame. Fingers crossed you get your £7350 from the dealer which I hope will pee off the SN bargain-hunters for being tight-wads
Old 21 March 2004, 11:55 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Its only in the last month (since buying johns car) I've made any real effort to advertise it though. If people had come to see it and walk then I'd be thinking, 'ok its a dog I'll have to invest in it somehow' but nobody has even had a look £7k won't actually be that bad a price at the end of the day. If you want to sell a classic for much more than that it has to be bubble wrapped with 10k miles, 1 doctor owner (female), with PPP, £2k alloys, defi's and serviced by Subaru Japan themselves every 1000 miles
Old 22 March 2004, 08:22 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Sometimes you've just got to hold out. It's hard, but eventually someone just turns up and buys the damn thing!
Old 22 March 2004, 08:33 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

seems bl**dy hard to shift s/h scoobs. i advertsised mine on SN and Pistonheads - to no effect what so ever. then it went in 'trader for a couple of weeks - that produced a grand total of 2 emails and a sh*t load of calls from canvassers. neither person turned up to view. in the end a dealer took it. i would have thought an 18 month old STi7 for £15k would have been a bargain for someone; but apparently not.
Old 22 March 2004, 09:44 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

ProperCharlie

The problem is that the peeps who know that your car is a great bargain (and it is / was) all have scoobs and tied into finance or have a scoob which they themselves cant shift so its catch 22.

I know that if i had say a classic, 5-10 years old with 70k on the clock, i wouldn't be able to shift it unless i went to a dealer therefore having to trade up with them.

I really do feel gutted for anyone who has to lose their car to raise funds for other "projects" but remember its not just scoobs its any car. For instance my secretary in work is selling her R plated top of the range Tigra with 35000 on the clock FVSH and immaculate. Its been advertised for 3 months and shes prolly spent £350.00 advertising it all over the place. She wanted £3900.00 for it in the end but she hasnt even had 1 call, not one

Hope you get it sorted Saxo and ProperCharlie FWIW if i didnt have a scoob i would have bought yours
Old 22 March 2004, 10:35 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Angry

Kenny,
Sorry to hear that buddy.

Really does make you think twice when trusting others when it comes to this.

I've had a similar thing happen to me when selling, it's a real pain.

Hope you get it sold soon, it's a lovely car, and a shame you're having to go so low on the price.

Johnny
Old 22 March 2004, 01:20 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

so is the whole s/h car market in a bad way then? i suppose new cars are relatively cheap now, so less incentive for people to buy s/h.
Old 22 March 2004, 01:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear about your hassle mate

You know the hassle I had selling mine and to think it finally went to a guy who saw the For sale notice on the side window

However as I've made clear on here before the saddest thing was that all the timewasters (and there were some as bad as the dude that wasted Kenny's time) were from scoobynet.

It's probably being really naive but you would of thought that common decency would prevail on a supposed enthusiasts site.

Whatever happened to common decency and some basic feckin' manners... ie. sorry I can't make it or I've bought another car please don't wait in all Saturday for me not to turn up again

Rant over and good luck to anyone trying to sell on here.
Old 22 March 2004, 02:04 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

do you find though that people make offers on the phone before seeing the car? I always get this and it annoys me.

Last car I sold was up at 5500, bloke phones up and offers 4900. I agree on the basis that that is the bottom price and for that price I don't expect to have to 'sell' the car when they turn up, just count the money and hand over the keys. But oh know they then try to haggle.

I've found using the autotrader a pain. Over price it and you get nothing. Price it just right and everyone offers 15% less (for cash of course which is fecking stupid as how else are you going to pay for it!!). Lose lose.
Old 22 March 2004, 03:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Well the car is gone. The dealer drove it and look around it and offered £7050 in the end which I took. I of course made sure I took the clear indicators off before going In the end its a pretty cr@p price but I cannot deny the bodywork was not brilliant and it needed £1k spend on it right now for a massive service + MOT and for the car tax due at the end of the month - so with all that considered its not too bad and I feel the 406 I got was a very fair price as well so swings and roundabouts.

What is interesting is that the Subaru over the 18months/30k miles I had it deprecated the same amount as my brand new saxo vts did over the 18months/30k miles I had that. This just highlights how much classic shaped scoobys have shat it in the last year or so.

Scoobyvirgin - for the sake of £50 less I'd probably have given to a fellow SN'er but you'll appreciate I wasn't taking any chances when I had the chance to get rid of it.

Kind of weird knowing its not outside anymore! I'm going to miss it
Old 22 March 2004, 03:40 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Talking

No problem, I'll keep my eyes peeled for something similar.

Glad you got it sold in the end.
Old 22 March 2004, 03:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Peugot 406 Boy

Hmm... Not quite the same ring to it...

Quick Reply: Selling a car: I'm mighty p!ssed off!!