Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile number porting !

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2004, 10:36 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile number porting !

I hope someone here can help me with a query I have.

I have just finished my years contract with O2, and have been offered the chance to up-grade and change my tariff. For my own reasons I have declined the offer. I have now ordered a new phone and it will be getting connected today. This new contract is also with O2. I have been told that I cannot port my number from O2 to O2. For a start, is this correct ? They tell me that if I had been with any other provider, ie/ vodaphone, orange etc, I coukld have obtained a code from the provider and ported my number.

Secondly, I really would like to keep my old number, so is it possible to do any of the below :

1. Purchase a very cheap pay as you go vodaphone, then get my code before I cancel my old phone and port the number to the vodaphone pay as you go. Once this has been done I would assume I have a number on the vodaphone network, so I quess I could then do the same thing again. Port my old number from Vodaphone to my new O2 mobile. Is this possible or do you have to port it onto a contract phone ?

2. Do you guys know of any other way of keeping my old number.

All help appreciated !

Ricky !
Old 19 March 2004, 11:18 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

the correct way to keep your number is to request a pac (port auth code) from your service provider. this signals your intention to terminate the contract and they have to respond with a justified rejection or a pac code within 2 days. the rejection is usually "you're in contract", so just pay up the rest, no problem.

have you still got the contract? if so, request a pac number. then you can take it to your new provider.
if you've terminated it, I would think the number's gone
Old 19 March 2004, 11:19 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

uhmm, you're in a new contract.

you have to specify your pac code when you take out that contract. I don't think the way will be open to get your old number back.
Old 19 March 2004, 11:52 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Can you port from O2 to O2 then ? Everyone I have talked to says I cant.

I have sent the letter away to cancel my old contract, but it still runs for another month yet, so I assume I could still get the PAC code.... right ?

Also my new contract has started, but is it still possible to port a number to it ?

Thanks again guys !
Old 19 March 2004, 06:21 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I used to use O2's Line Advance contract (paying the monthly rental payments upfront in exchange for a huge discount). They cut back the discount last year (it used to be about 70% so I can understand why!) and offered a free pay as You Go SIM card plus porting the old number. So they can do it if they want to.
Old 19 March 2004, 06:46 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

I ported my old t-mob contract on to a new t-mob payg sim card.So i guess 02 does the same? they would like to keep you on their network and thats why t-mob offered me the payg option.
Old 19 March 2004, 07:20 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click on FREQUENT QUESTIONS at the bottom of the lh menu:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/shop/handset/O2/XDA2

Select KEEPING MOBILE NUMBER
There is an answer on how to migrate a number into the new contract here and says nothing about migrating an O2 number into a differnet contract.

Nick
Old 20 March 2004, 11:48 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I do this with Orange as you get a much better deal if you leave and rejoin instead of upgrading? but the only down side is that Orange will not allow you to keep your old number either.
Old 20 March 2004, 12:18 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys, but I'm still a little confused. I have read articles which 'suggest' that you can, and I have read others that state in black and white you cant. When I rung up my new service provider, they tell me I cant, so again ...... mh...m !

I did enquire about a gold number recently and they told me that if I were to buy it I would have both numbers on my sim card. So basically they just assign it to my sim, and the other number still works. I have also enquired about buying a good number from guys on ebay who have pay as you go sim's on vodaphone with a good nuumber. They tell me that when I get the port authorisation code it replaces the number I already have. How come there is a discrepency in these two scenarios ? Anybody ported a number while on an existing contract ? Do you then have one or two numbers ?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm confused !

Many thanks again !

Ricky !
Old 20 March 2004, 01:39 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I used to be on Virgin and moved over to T-Mobile. I gave Virgin 30 days notice and got a temporary number from T-Mobile until my original number came over from Virgin. Once my original number was with T-mobile the temp one was dropped. T-Mobile said that the PAC from Virgin could be sent to them any time and they would then just switch my numbers.
Old 20 March 2004, 03:50 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

I ported my old O2 number onto O2 online.Put it onto another sim card which i got for £1.Only on PAYG though.
It was a real ar** to do!!!
Old 20 March 2004, 04:01 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

I think you can only port your number if you're going to a different network, O2 might let you downgrade it to PAYG though, that's a different thing.
You're idea in changing it to Vodafone then changing back sounds good but I'd guess theres a minimum period you'd have to keep it on Vodafone before you switch back, best to check that before you go ahead...

Brian