Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

project/task management - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 09:25 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question project/task management - any ideas?

i am trying the become leaner, meaner, more efficient etc at work. at the moment i find that i start the day with loads of things in my head that i want to get done (sad, but usually when i lie in bed at night, all the things that i mean to do the next day spring into mind) then i get to work and get distracted by phones, other people, SN etc, and most of the tasks fall by the way side. i also find that i ask people to do things, they agree, and weeks later when i want the results, they look at me blankly and deny all knowledge. i don't have any proof of the conversation that took place weeks ago, and start thinking maybe i forgot to even ask them to do the job in the first place. i am trying various things like writing objectives on a board, or entering tasks onto Outlook. anyone found any simple or effective ways to deal with these sorts of problems?
Old 11 March 2004, 09:34 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Write things down and give deadlines - if you don't give a deadline people will regard it as non urgent.

When the deadline come, ask for a status update, if its not been done, ask why.

People seem obsessed with email these days, so confirm what you have asked, when you want it, and when it will be reviewed in an email.

id - management guru

Last edited by image doctor; 11 March 2004 at 09:35 AM. Reason: shite grammar
Old 11 March 2004, 09:42 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

I use a "to do" word document that opens up on start up.

Add in a few categories to split the tasks down and use it as a notepad of things to do / people to chase up on.

Once I've done something I change the font to strikethrough and at the end of each week, delete all the scored out lines and start Monday with a (hopefully) smaller task list

I'm also trying to make sure that when I start something, I finish it before i move on, but as you say, there are too many other distractions
Old 11 March 2004, 10:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

make a to do list every night before you go home - go home and forget about it. First thing next day try and get everything done. If you clear half the list every day you tend to think about it less at night as you know you are not missing important stuff.

If you have a really big to do list use something like project. When you ask someone to do something for a dead line check a week, three days and one day before the deadline.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:34 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I make calendar items in Outlook for each task, which contain details, things that need doing, people that need chasing etc. I can then place them on certain days or times to remind me to do something, plus you can update them, move them around, add attachments. I synchronise my calendar to my PDA so I always know what's what, no matter where I am, meetings etc. plus, if I get an idea, or think of something that needs doing, I can jot it down on my PDA and attach it to the right item.

Knock up an agenda and do minutes for every meeting, noting actions against individuals with deadlines. Send these out to the attendees, and get an electronic paper trail that people can't wriggle out of.

Hope this helps

T
Old 11 March 2004, 10:36 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

dropped my fookin PDA the other day, unfortunately. in fact i dropped it loads of times over the last 3 years but this time it broke.

thanks for all the input. all food for thought
Old 11 March 2004, 12:00 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Another option if you use Outlook is the ToDo and the Journal sections. Use the ToDo for the obvious stuff like "Stuff to do" as you can put percentage completed and deadlines against entries. The Journal is useful for recording events like conversations and other stuff.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 March 2004, 02:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've deleted scoobynet from my bookmarks. Seriously.

Now I have to type the address in the address bar. Which of course memorises it, so instead of going to bookmarks, I just use the address bar.

Now I have to Delete History to clear the address bar.

Everything else would be fine if it wasn't for that.

BTW - I make lists of things to do.
Old 11 March 2004, 09:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

ProperCharlie,

have a browse around Time Manager International, in particular their "Full System" under products.

It is basically a Filofax, but with a proper stucture so that you can organise you whole life (Goals, Tasks, Activities, contacts, Meetings, Appointments etc.), but more importantly they include guides on how to make it happen. They cost a few bob (er, a lot of bob ), but they may be worth it if your work-life is out of control. I used one for many years (from 20 years ago), until PDAs arrived - but the principles still apply. Indeed using the TMI methodology helps improve the use of more modern organisers.

If you can get your company to pay for a Time Manager, then everybody wins!!!

mb
Old 11 March 2004, 09:58 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

PC,

just start a thread on scoobynet called "PC's to-do list", and add to it as and when necessary.

we will montitor your task management skills online
Old 11 March 2004, 11:46 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
i am trying the become leaner, meaner, more efficient etc at work. at the moment i find that i start the day with loads of things in my head that i want to get done (sad, but usually when i lie in bed at night, all the things that i mean to do the next day spring into mind) then i get to work and get distracted by phones, other people, SN etc, and most of the tasks fall by the way side. i also find that i ask people to do things, they agree, and weeks later when i want the results, they look at me blankly and deny all knowledge. i don't have any proof of the conversation that took place weeks ago, and start thinking maybe i forgot to even ask them to do the job in the first place. i am trying various things like writing objectives on a board, or entering tasks onto Outlook. anyone found any simple or effective ways to deal with these sorts of problems?

Well the first thing you need to learn is how to format a paragraph! then move on to punctuation, capitalisation and emphasis

Your words are so densely compressed that I cannot stand to read beyond the second line, and niether will anyone reading your report etc. This is serious and needs attention on here and elsewhere!

Please make it concise and easy to read, after all the directors etc who need to read it will chuck it in the bin if it doesnt grab their attention in the first few lines.

Good luck btw take boomer's recomendation seriously ( I did read the rest of it eventually)

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey; 11 March 2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:44 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks charlie - just a few points:

1) i am the director
2) it's not a report, it's a 30 second post on scoobynet
3) my command of the english language is exemplary
4) i choose not to use capitalisation on SN - i didn't just forget
5) i will correct you spelling for you, if you like
6) well i admit that you may have a point about the format...

mj - i think that plan has a lot going for it. at least that way i could claim to be working when hanging out here.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 12 March 2004 at 08:49 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 12 March 2004, 10:40 AM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

Paper based todo.

Like you I get distracted as soon as I start entering things into outlook etc, spend loads on an Ipaq but have gone back to a paper based diary and todo - Get a filox or clone from any stationary shop and make sure you get the todo pages as well. I aslo use a yearly pull out planned and highlight importand days/deadlines on that. Make sure you get a diary with enough space to make note from meetings etc. Page per day type.