Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit Reports Question

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 08:48 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit Reports Question

If for example, My dad asks for a credit report to be posted to him due to a failed loan application, would any of my credit history show up anywhere? ,and more importantly, can it show that it's my fault he was turned down ? (I still live at at home)

(This is on behalf of a friend BTW)

Thanks

Av
Old 05 March 2004, 08:49 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It shouldnt do anymore

they have changed it so it should only show the persons finance details who requested it, and there Spouse's as long as they live in the same house
Old 05 March 2004, 08:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

when I got my report from equifax it showed the complete history for everyone at my address. I think that unless you specifically request it to show only your stuff it will show everyone registered at that address.

not sure about it showing that it's your fault a loan app was denied.
Old 05 March 2004, 08:54 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Markus - When did you get yours..

and any idea when it was changed?
Old 05 March 2004, 09:00 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
Markus - When did you get yours..

and any idea when it was changed?
I did one a couple of weeks ago for a client and when it came it listed everyone at that address and their credit histories. Similar stituation in that the fathers credit card application was rejected because of several defaults on a loan by one of his sons.

You can file a notice of disassociation with the two big credit ref agencies and from then on they consider each person in a household on an individual basis.
Old 05 March 2004, 09:23 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The credit history rules were changed to only show people with the same surname at the same address (or others with a financial connection to you):

"Why is information referencing another person reported on my Equifax Credit Report ?

Some people will find information about other individuals on their credit report. This is known as 'third party data'. In many cases, third party data can help lenders assess an individual's ability to maintain repayments.

However, credit reference agencies will only supply information on individuals other than the credit applicant, where the 'third party' has lived at the same time with the credit applicant, at either their current address, or any previous address, and it is reasonably believed that there is a financial connection or they are members of the same family.

The use of third party information by credit reference agencies has been reviewed by the Information Commissioner and, in the future, this information will no longer automatically be used by lenders when assessing a credit application unless there is a financial connection between individuals. In the meantime, you can disassociate yourself from any 'third party' with whom you have no financial connection with our Notice of Disassociation service."

Taken from the Equifax site

This prevents you being blacklisted by the previous occupants etc, but all members of the same family can get tarred with the same brush - as it would appear in this case.

Last edited by Jerome; 05 March 2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05 March 2004, 10:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

The credit agencies still hold all the data based on address, but credit scoring is supposed to take place based on DOB, or influential relationship. (Parents and kids, husband and wife, co-habitees, but not siblings) It is likely that if you have a bad history he got turned down because of it, mainly to avoid you getting a loan in his name. You can get ahead of the chewing he is going to give you by getting your own credit report and disasssociating yourself from him quickly. When he gets his report it won't show your details and he won't kill you. Once he sees the report is clear, he can reapply and probably get the loan unless he has adverse as well
Old 05 March 2004, 11:52 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree with above. Live at an address, perfect credit history and someone else at the same address can cause problems.

One other word of warning, each time you apply for credit, it will be noted on your history. The more times you apply and are rejected the less likely you are at receiving a loan.
Old 06 March 2004, 09:00 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Fellas, passed the info on to my Friend, she's going to look into dissasociation.. Quickly !!

Andy