Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 08:20 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry ANGER VENT: Just had a job interview

bleeeeeeeting well narked.

7:30pm - Just had a phone interview.

Job sounds ace, right up my ally, 99.9% sure I could do it well.
So the guy tells me all about it.

Then he says, my Unix team leader has written 10 questions. Now, my unix aint bad, but Im not a full blown sys admin..........he proceeds to ask 10 questions, I didnt do so great Ok bit annoyed with myself, but plenty of time to make up in other tech questions later...........er no there isnt................he asks me a practical problem solving question - Im pretty sure I aced it(Went for good communication angle/logical thinking/covering your back etc)................then that was it............discussion over!!!!!!!

No opportunity to explain what I do here, who I am, what Ive done or what else I know........................

Not happy,

Andy
Old 24 February 2004, 08:44 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rmmod newjob
Old 24 February 2004, 09:32 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

the phone one checks your basic suitability for the position as a person, and ensures you have the right technical skills. follow-up interviews, if they're interested in you, and you're interested in them, will be a lot more involved about what you do. but the phone one tends to be to filter out those without the required core skills rather than go into depth about what you do.

if you answered most of their questions wrong, then no offense, but i dont see how you can be 99.9% sure you could do the job well.

if you feel they've asked you questions that they shouldn't be asking, then either you've put the wrong things on your cv (why else would they ask involved unix questions unless you put it on your cv.. in which case you should be able to answer tech questions on it), or you've mis-understood the job role (probably the fault of the agency involved).

rule of thumb: if it's on your cv, expect to be able to answer some questions on it. i have .net, c#, xml etc on mine and got grilled with 2 HOURS of technical questions on those today (painful.. but applying for lead developer role), to which i managed to answer every one correctly as i always do. i have "ok" java skills (not my speciality), but wouldn't be confident enough to answer ANY question on it (i could probably get 50-75% correct which to me isnt good enough), so don't even put that on my cv as a skill. too many people rattle off a list of buzzwords on a cv (NOT saying thats what u did) without expecting to get quizzed on them and a lot of interviewers know this, so will have in-depth technical tests ready (in other words, be prepared).

good luck with the job search btw.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I have to do a few phone interviews tomorrow. The guy should have told you what would happen next.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:46 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

na the guy explained the job would be an all rounders postion - flying spanner, unix, nt, 2000, xp, networks etc etc.............then only asked unix questions, admitedly its probably weakness of the lot, but I had no opportunity to show off any other knowledge...........****