Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice required re: 5am boy racer crashing into house !

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 08:33 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice required re: 5am boy racer crashing into house !

Not me but a freind of my mum's, came home on saturday morning after a night out to find his house boarded up following a car crashing through the front and destroying his living room and other damage. Apparently (I only have sketchy details) two cars were racing along Ringway Road (the one under the flightpath where the spotters congregate) near Manchester airport and one gets it wrong and crashes ending the wrong way up having damaged three houses, the lad gets up and is ok but my mums mate had bits of cooling fan on his couch.

So it turns out my mums freind hasnt got any house insurance (daft I know) and I am fairly certain the car driver probably wont, chances are round that area somebody doing 90 in a 30 at 5am probably wont.

So question is can he claim against the car driver for the damage, will the uninsured drivers fund cover it, he is gutted. Its not like the house is in a vulnerable spot, its on a straight row so its a fairly freak occurance.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:19 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that she does not have buildings insurance as opposed to contents? This is usually a condition of mortgage, unless of course she lives in one of the council houses on Ringway Road - in which case no doubt the council will repair it.

Odds are that IF the driver is not insured then he won't have a pot to **** in anyway so there is little point in sueing him for the damage.

Best bet if all else fails is the Insurance Ombudsman who have a fund for helping in these situations.

TONY
Old 23 February 2004, 12:24 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sue the bar steward for every penny he has and then some more he doesnt have.
Might teach the gimp a lesson.

You do need house insurance, its not expensive. How many people dont have their property insured? You gotta be mad!

STEVE..................

Last edited by r32; 23 February 2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 23 February 2004, 12:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Some muppet did this in our town last summer.... They hit a wall around a rockery on the wrong side of the road completely destroying it and bounced off that, across the road and through the wall opposite. luckily the house had a thick outer wall which was 6" away from the corner of the house! The car went through the outer wall and came to rest on the inner wall!

Dunno what happened to them, but judging by the damage they would have been lucky to walk away!
Old 23 February 2004, 02:46 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Contact the Motor Insurance Bureau. They are the people who deal with un-insured drivers. They maybe able to help. Haven't got any contact details I'm afraid.
Old 23 February 2004, 03:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a private (as opposed to council) house and it did surpricse me that he didnt have any insurace as like you say he has a mortgage and the mortgage companies do like their investements protected. Should find out some more detail off my mum tonight.
Old 23 February 2004, 03:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a house on a bend on Uxbridge Road in Pinner, NW London, where I grew up - received two dodgy drivers through the living room in two years (early/mid-80s). Council redesigned the junction to include foot-high kerbs and railings. Should launch them into the bedroom...
Old 23 February 2004, 03:31 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

... LOL @ Brendan
Old 23 February 2004, 05:18 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

The MIB now cover damage to property although there is an excess of £300 and claims for property damage are capped at £250,000.

www.mib.org.uk will allow you to download the appropriate claim forms, but remember that there are quite strict protocols to be complied with.

Last edited by T.C; 23 February 2004 at 05:20 PM.