Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job advice

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 04:54 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job advice

finish my degree in june and am looking to go into full time work. I have done a degree which i have enjoyed but now im kind of seeing the problem with the degree is theres a lack of well paid jobs for it. My degree is Industrial archaeology with american studies. I am thinking about going into the police force but not for a year or so. So I am looking for a job for the next 12 months which will pay my rent and let me run my car. Any job which doesn't enlove hours and hours of work for crap pay! I have done my share of crap student jobs! I worked out that i can live easily on 900 a month. so i am wondering if anyone can suggest a line of work around 15k a year will do.

Borich
Old 23 February 2004, 05:14 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

15k/year for a "job" with no experience is quite hard really (unless you're in london) but do-able.

if you were after a career.. id say get on a graduate training program for a big company.. and you'll easily make 15-20k with salary rising pretty rapidly.

if you're only after a job for a year.. working in a bank? some kind of customer service job? various temping office jobs? do you have any skills to offer (specific IT skills, programming etc)? most of these types of jobs seem to advertise circa 12-15k.

its quite sad when after a 3-4 year degree you only JUST realise that there arent any jobs out there that pay enough in your field (not a dig at you - a LOT of people are in that situation). how come you took that degree in the first place?

btw, why not join the force now if thats what u want to do?
Old 23 February 2004, 05:31 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

I had my heart set on archaeology but then as my degree went on and its not been what i hoped for and i really don't think a job in archaeology would be able to support the style of life i would like. Considering the police but i know im not fit enough and need a few months to sort myself out before i apply. sh*tting bricks atm to be honest uni is over in 10 weeks then its the real world.. I went threw college and uni with the policy of doing what u enjoy in my case archaeology but im regretting it now. I did a-level computing and am fluent in i.t. and computer hardware side. do companies consider you for graduate training programes if you don't have a degree which directly relates to their company?

Borich

Last edited by borich; 23 February 2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 23 February 2004, 05:34 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

get yourself down to the gym to train for the force, and go into some local employment agencies (including the job center) armed with a good cv (yours, obviously...but make sure its well written!).
Old 23 February 2004, 05:40 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

regarding the gym i am going to rejoin over easter and start going 3 times a week. im 5`11 and weigh 10 stone, i think i need to bulk myself up to around 13 stone is the aim. if i go gym in sensible measure and eat well of course how long do u think it will take to get into shape

Borich
Old 23 February 2004, 05:44 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borich
regarding the gym i am going to rejoin over easter and start going 3 times a week. im 5`11 and weigh 10 stone, i think i need to bulk myself up to around 13 stone is the aim. if i go gym in sensible measure and eat well of course how long do u think it will take to get into shape
to gain 3 stone of completely lean mass? we're talking up to 2 years depending on genetics, assuming perfect diet, rest and workout.

but to increase your strength a great deal (by up to 300%) and gain a couple of stone of mostly lean mass.. that's very achievable in the year that you're planning on waiting to join the force. assuming your diet, rest and workout are spot-on.
Old 23 February 2004, 05:50 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

ideal ill give it a try and see how things go. jsut worried about getting a job when i leave uni, don;t wanna end up packing shelfs in tescos

Borich