Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Canon EOS Digital Question.

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 11:14 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Canon EOS Digital Question.

I'm looking for a Canon EOS digital camera to supplement the EOS 5 film camera i already have.

I've narrowed it down to two options, a 2nd hand D60 or a new 300D (don't fancy a D30 as it's only 3megapixels, and a 10D is out of my budget).

I know the 300D is "missing" some features compared to the D60 / 10D, but will i really miss them? I don't make use of all the features on my EOS 5.

Any input appreciated.

TIA.

John.
Old 19 February 2004, 11:31 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

John,

First off: don't discount the D30 until you've downloaded and printed a few images. Here are some full-sized samples that I took myself. The D30's huge sensor (compared to 'normal' 3MP cameras) means that it can resolve a great deal more detail than the numbers might suggest; most cameras are limited by the sharpness of their lenses and by the photographer's technique. Unless you shoot landscapes, use a tripod and mirror lock-up, it's unlikely you'll see a great deal of difference in print.

The 300D is missing the ability to control focus mode (between one-shot and AI Servo), which may be troublesome when you want to lock focus and recompose a shot. It also can't do flash exposure compensation, and it doesn't have any custom functions so you can't customise its operation. I think (and I'm sure someone will confirm) that this means it can't do 2nd curtain sync or mirror lock-up.

Therefore, despite its less capable focusing system (3 points vs 7 and poor sensitivity), I'd definitely recommend the D60. It's more flexible, more customisable and uses a very similar sensor so its image quality is virtually identical. However, unless you're into long exposures (where the 6MP sensors have a major technological advantage that's unrelated to the actual pixel count), I'd recommend a D30 over both models simply because it's so much cheaper and lets you fit twice as many shots on a memory card.

They're all great cameras, though. Pick any one and you'll be happy.

Good luck

Andy.
Old 19 February 2004, 12:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Cool

Having been used to manual cameras for twenty odd years, (Nikon stuff) I bought a Nikon coolpix 5700. What a mistake for what I wanted to do with it. So I have now bought a 300D, and just love it to bits, there are a few limitations but not many and it hanldles really well, has easy to use menus and set up. I can recommend one. Picture quality is excellent, it is possible to get huge memory cards (try e.buyer.com) so image storage no problem.
I like it because of its no frills handles like the SLR it is and of course the price. The programme button on the top makes it very versatile.
I didnt get the standard lens as I was warned off this by the guy in the shop so I bought a better ultrasonic motor lens from the Canon range, just love it to bits...... perhaps the only one thing I would like is a mirror lock up, but I wouldnt use it often.
STEVE...................

Last edited by r32; 19 February 2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 19 February 2004, 02:33 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

From what I've heard, the standard 18-35 lens is OK - and certainly there's no cheaper way to get the coverage it provides. Many people (myself included) start off with something like the 28-135IS which is a great lens, and then add additional focal lengths as budget and requirements permit. I use the Sigma 15-30 for wide coverage.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:18 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I'm still spoilt for choice. One of the reasons for getting a digital is to do some experimenting with some long exposures, so it sounds like one of the 6MP cameras might be a good choice.

At the moment, i'm tempted to go with the 300D with a view to being able to trade up to a 10D (or its replacement) in 12 months or so if i decide i need the extra features when i've saved up some more cash. More thought required! I think i'll go into my local camera shop and have a hands on with one & see how it is.

Could do to have a look for some more places selling 2nd hand cameras - ebay gets a bit steep for them, and the jessops prices i've enquired about are bordering on ridiculous; any recomendations?

Thanks again.

John

ps - great pics Andy, superb detail in them.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:27 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Places to try for s/h cameras:

Mifsud
A J Purdy
Park Cameras
Jacobs
Ffordes Photographic

Glad you liked the pics - see what I mean about pixels not being the be-all-and-end-all of digital image quality?
Old 19 February 2004, 09:39 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

John,

Also buy yourself a copy of "Amateur Photographer". It has loads of adverts for new and used camera gear.

Cheers

Ian