Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Digital Camera A9 south of Inverness?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2001, 08:30 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know of such a thing?

I have avoided driving the road this year due to the number of Gatsos, but this was a new one on me.

An individual, not on this board, received a letter through the door saying he was caught doing 102mph on this road, it also said the photo was taken by a digital camera The driver saw no flash, or police cars.
He is going to sort out a solicitor. If it is a digital photo, no probs, cause it ain't legal, any ideas on what took the photo?
Have advised asking for a copy of the photo anyway, so should see it eventually.

Curious if they are trialing some sort of new camera.
Old 27 July 2001, 01:15 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

The last time I was up at Inverness at Easter, I saw about 8 cameras from Perth onwards. But only half of these were active. Fancy BEL Radar Detector. There was one active South bound on the dual carriage-way just south of Inverness, but wether it's a digital one or not I'm not sure. Looked like all the rest, but is there a difference in looks anyway.
David
Old 27 July 2001, 01:37 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Robertio,

Highland Constabulary use Speedmaster or Autovision traps. These are essentially "Gatsos in a suitcase". They can set them up behind a bush, hook them up to the piezo electric sensors buried in roads everywhere, leave them all day, collect them later and process the pictures at their leisure. I don't know whether they're analogue (i.e. film-based) or digital but, whatever, they are admissable as evidence, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. You've got no way of detecting these because they use the piezo-sensors, and no way of spotting them because they hide the equipment (and it's too small anyway). Very devious, easy pickings

Brian
Old 27 July 2001, 05:14 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Hunter,

I think this was the system they used 2 or 3 years ago. Three strips implanted across the road, usually next to a lay-by, so they could park up.
But I think this has been replaced with the fixed cameras now.
I may be wrong though.

David
Old 28 July 2001, 06:53 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Cool

What will Big Brother think of next?
Old 28 July 2001, 11:20 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

DR,

A friend got clocked by one of these mobile jobbies on the A9 dual-carriageway on the Black Isle North of Inverness earlier this year, so I believe they're still using them. Lovely clear picture of the back of an Isuzu Trooper with date, time and speed mailed to the registered keeper with a request for details of who was driving.

Brian