Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can Someone Help Me Regarding Consumer Rights

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 09:37 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can Someone Help Me Regarding Consumer Rights

I bought a digital camera from PC World earlier on in the week which cost £170, and an accessory pack to go with it that cost £40.

This is the first digital camera I have had, and to be honest, I don't think I have spent my money wisely - I think a "normal" camera would suit me more Hindsight is a great thing I know

My question is - can I return the camera on the basis of the above reasons What are my statutory rights I still have the original packaging/reciepts etc.

Can they just offer me a voucher for the store for the value of £210 or can I expect a full cash refund

Many thanks

Matt
Old 10 February 2004, 09:51 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If you bought if from PC World in person - that is, rather than from www.pcworld.co.uk, then you are pretty much in their hands....

You can TRY explaining the situation to them and see if, on a goodwill basis, they are willing to give you your money back (doubt it), or even store credit (possibly). They are not obliged to do either and you may well have to put it down to experience.

If you bought it from the web, then distance selling regulations come into play, and you can send it back with a few days (7 I think, or may just be 'a reasonable time') for just about any reason under the sun and get a full refund.

Sounds like you bought it in person, and therefore sounds like you're stuck with it - but try them, and plead your case - you may get lucky.

Nex time - when you're tempted, buy from Argos as they're daft and will take anything back, for any reason and give you a full refund - within 12/14/16 (whatever it is) days....

HTH

Shades
Old 10 February 2004, 10:08 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Or buy from Allders.
They're even dafter.
You can own something for yonks, decide for no really serious reason that you dont want it anymore and get a full refund a kiss on the ****
Old 10 February 2004, 10:24 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Damn
Old 10 February 2004, 10:37 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Phone your local trading standards. Theywill tell you your ights.

Geoff
Old 10 February 2004, 10:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have taken loads of stuff back to PC World with no real reason. A good one if it is a USB camera is to say you got it home and then realised that is didn't work with Windows 98 (Pre Service Pack 1 version) as there is no USB support with that version of windows, or better yet Windows NT4 as you can't sort it with a service pack. Their technical bods, aren't, belive me, I went to Uni with lots of them and they were always quizzing me on tech stuff. If you are technical you can bluff like crazy, they will think you know your stuff and give you a refund.
Old 10 February 2004, 10:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

As another point, if the digital camera is reasonable, I have a very high quality Fuji and when I take the sim in and get a print done I am hard pressed to tell the difference between that and my SLR. With digital you can also burn Photo CD's etc yourself which is the way we are going.
Old 10 February 2004, 11:09 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Take it back Terrzo. They really will not have a problem with a refund. They do it all day long.
Old 10 February 2004, 11:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

maybe asking them (10 sec phone call) would be a good start ?
Old 11 February 2004, 12:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Tell them it doesn't do all the things you told the salesman it needed to do - They take stuff back no probs
Old 11 February 2004, 08:24 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

hang it on the wall with your george foreman grill. that way they can both be a constant reminder for you to STOP GETTING STUFF YOU DONT REALLY WANT!!!

seriously tho.. as stated above... just take it back with the receipt. if its in "as new" condition, they wont even argue and you'll get a refund the same way u paid (either cash or refund to your credit card).