Conservatives for raising motorway speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 08:54 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conservatives for raising motorway speed limit

http://www.conservatives.com/news/ar...m?obj_id=65736

At last someone dares to stick their neck above the parapet and go with common sense and public opinion!
Old 10 February 2004, 09:07 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

one in the eye for that **** in wales
Old 10 February 2004, 09:08 PM
s6pra
Scooby Regular

It's a political opportunity waiting to happen. Too bad the fascist pigs in power don't see it. No wonder the number of cameras being blown up and sabotaged is increasing.

And then they always say "What if you hit a child..."

DAMN YOU! I thought roads were for cars!! Take the damn kids off the roads and get some responsibility on people.

Over 95% of car versus pedestrians collisions were caused by a pedestrian not paying atention.

Sorry, I'll shut up now. Kinda fed up with the "prossecute and that will teach'em" atitude

Last edited by s6pra; 10 February 2004 at 09:21 PM. Reason: I spell right my fingers don't
Old 10 February 2004, 09:14 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Well said mate.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you take away all the accidents caused by pedestrians, uninsured untaxed unlicensed unqualified cyclists (who for some reason have as much right to use the road as insured taxed licensed qualified car drivers), psychotic bikers with no airbags seatbelts crumple zones laminated glass antisubmarine seats and only one brake light, bad weather, mechanical failure and basic appauling driving (see pensioners), how many accidents are primarily caused by speed?

27m drivers on the road and almost all of them can vote. Make no wonder the Tories want to tempt us. Go on then, let's have 80mph and a reduction in Gatsos. As long as we get rid of Tory bLIAR and ******* Prescott it's gotta be a good thing.
Old 10 February 2004, 10:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Good enough for me! Howard recognises some of the intelligence in his potential voters esp in the way he approaches and deals with so many issues; his oppertunism wins over patronising persecution any day in my book!
Old 11 February 2004, 01:05 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
If you take away all the accidents caused by pedestrians, uninsured untaxed unlicensed unqualified cyclists (who for some reason have as much right to use the road as insured taxed licensed qualified car drivers), psychotic bikers with no airbags seatbelts crumple zones laminated glass antisubmarine seats and only one brake light, bad weather, mechanical failure and basic appauling driving (see pensioners), how many accidents are primarily caused by speed?

27m drivers on the road and almost all of them can vote. Make no wonder the Tories want to tempt us. Go on then, let's have 80mph and a reduction in Gatsos. As long as we get rid of Tory bLIAR and ******* Prescott it's gotta be a good thing.
Forgot the hooray henriettas on there freakin horses bleating on about how much room to give them and "speeding" down country lanes! Well excuse me, but are horses not supposed to be in fields!!
Old 11 February 2004, 09:42 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Forgot the hooray henriettas on there freakin horses bleating on about how much room to give them and "speeding" down country lanes! Well excuse me, but are horses not supposed to be in fields!!
You forget that roads were once used only by horses before cars were invented (and jointly for long afterwards). Lets have a little bit of tollerace for others. What ever your thoughts about this, they do have a s much right as yourselves to be on the road...

So what does everyone think about the reduction of speed to 60 in bad weather? Who hear can honestly say that they pay attention to the road side speed signs on motorways?
Old 11 February 2004, 11:33 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Who hear can honestly say that they pay attention to the road side speed signs on motorways?
Always pay attention to them, doesn't go to say I always abide by them. As is often debated, driver responsibility. If the weather is bad and the m-way is busy then chances are I will have slowed down long before the signs go on anyway. It's when it is 4am and there is nothing else on there that I tend to worry less and so slow down less and the risk is far less.
Old 11 February 2004, 11:36 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
You forget that roads were once used only by horses before cars were invented (and jointly for long afterwards). Lets have a little bit of tollerace for others. What ever your thoughts about this, they do have a s much right as yourselves to be on the road...
sure... if they paid road tax.
Old 11 February 2004, 11:37 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

There's a massive difference between fast driving and dangerous driving. It's been proven that people pay more attention when driving approx 20mph above the speed limit.

And if they're that worried, make the test harder / longer and include bad weather conditions, lorries and bikes. Anyone and his dog seems to get a licence these days, judging by the amount of atrocious driving I've seen on my daily 240 mile commute.
Old 11 February 2004, 11:47 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Horse riders come into the same category as cyclists. Untaxed, uninsured, unlicensed with minimal training. The training is mainly related to horse behaviour and not the highway code, and just like cyclists, they can be of any age. How many exciteable eight year olds regularly cruise up and down the country lanes in their Scoobs near you?

I live near very many stables, and have seen many horse related accidents. Thankfully, I have yet to see one involving a car. But when it does happen, I am sure it will be serious, and if it's the horse riders fault, what legal and financial protection is there for the innocent victims in the car? The same could be said for the many cyclists.

I'm not saying they have no right to be there, just that they should have the same legal responsibilities to enable use of the public highway.
Old 11 February 2004, 11:53 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

"We will stop raising money from cameras for police to buy more cameras that encourage unsafe, slow-down-speed-up driving and increase exhaust pollution."
Amen to that
Old 11 February 2004, 03:34 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

it won't matter what speed they increase it to, nobody gives a **** How many on here stay at 70 or below on the motorway ???? as i thought none of you

What ever speed u set everyone will go 10mph faster......thats guaranteed
Old 11 February 2004, 04:20 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Yes but currently doing 90mph on a motorway is 20mph above the limit. At 80mph, it's just 10mph above, so the penalties will be less.
Old 11 February 2004, 04:59 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Mice - if the limit is raised to 80 then 100 is only 20 more, sounds sooooo much better than 30 over the limit

Personally I feel the limit should be 90. Most cars can cruise quite happily at 90, and you would probably find that this is the speed most do when on the M25 etc. It seems to be a natural point where the brain and foot say 'Ok, this'll do nicely'

Also in Germany, the Autobahns are the safest roads. And they have no speed limit.....
Old 11 February 2004, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

How many on here stay at 70 or below on the motorway ????
Lucky if I can do 50 most nights on the way home as it is chocker, 15mph is closer to the mark a lot of the time. And if the weather is bad then I have been known to do less than 70 as well. And when I had a Beetle (but not that often)!

the Autobahns are the safest roads. And they have no speed limit
Unless weather conditions are poor!
Old 11 February 2004, 06:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly agree with an increase in the limit on motorways. I think 85 would be about right.

Les
Old 11 February 2004, 09:12 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Won't happen ..... so don't build your hopes up.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

80 mph, wow. I stay at a speed circa 85 mph now as it is. Why should i vote for a crap political party thats going to 'allow' me doing a speed at which i already go above?