Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Joint Mortgage Advice Needed......

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 04:47 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Joint Mortgage Advice Needed......

I bought a flat 3 years ago for £85k. My woman moved in 2 years ago and we have just re-mortgaged it (so we can rent it out) for £105k in joint names. It worth £150k.

My solicitor is asking who to register the property to?? I'm inclinded to say just me as I stumped up the original deposit, etc.......but I would appreciate any views!! My misses has no problem with it being registerd (to land registry) just to me.

Does it rally matter as we are getting married next year.

We are even thinkin of a pre nup agreement!
Old 10 February 2004, 04:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

doesn't really matter much - I am assuming that both names are on the deeds if it is a joint mortgage, so land reg is just to back that up - will probably cost you £80.00 to get it changed....
Old 10 February 2004, 04:54 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Pree nup's mean nothing in this country, we have had this discussion several times use the search facility if you want more info.

If you get married it doesn't matter what name the property is in you will both be entitled to 50/50 or these days probably 60/40 in her favour!!!!!

Best thing you can do is take any money out of the property you feel you are owed ie deposit, equity before you met and costs. Do this by remortgaging or selling then at least you have had your money as once you are married it is very difficult to get back your original deposit etc.

Think very carefully as if things went wrong with your missus it could cost you a fortune!
Old 10 February 2004, 04:58 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J S W
Best thing you can do is take any money out of the property you feel you are owed ie deposit, equity before you met and costs. Do this by remortgaging or selling then at least you have had your money as once you are married it is very difficult to get back your original deposit etc.
essentially solid advice... BUT even if u do take money out of the property and you split.. that money becomes part of any settlement anyway.