Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

George Foreman Grill - Crap !

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 10:17 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down George Foreman Grill - Crap !

I used one of these for the first time on Sunday morning to do my bacon and sausage sandwich. I thought it would be healthier, and wouldn't be as much hassle when it came to cleaning.

I wasn't very impressed at all. When it finally cooked everything, the food was REALLY dry tasting. I suppose this shows it was working with there been less fat in the food, but I couldn't eat food that tastes like this very often.

And when it came to cleaning it it took bloody ages !

I am going to take it back with the excuse it was a gift for someone, but they already had one. Do you think they will believe that ? It seemed to come up as good as new when I cleaned it.

Matt
Old 09 February 2004, 10:23 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
I used one of these for the first time on Sunday morning to do my bacon and sausage sandwich. I thought it would be healthier, and wouldn't be as much hassle when it came to cleaning.

I wasn't very impressed at all. When it finally cooked everything, the food was REALLY dry tasting. I suppose this shows it was working with there been less fat in the food, but I couldn't eat food that tastes like this very often.

And when it came to cleaning it it took bloody ages !

I am going to take it back with the excuse it was a gift for someone, but they already had one. Do you think they will believe that ? It seemed to come up as good as new when I cleaned it.

Matt
ebay it
Old 09 February 2004, 10:24 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

personally i think these things rock

i use my several times a day

yes it drains the fat (look in the tray at the bottom and see just how much) which may or may not be a good thing depending on your diet... so yes the food may not taste as good. depends whether you're eating for pleasure or for requirement.

cleaning is easy... just clean it while its still hot. pour some water (a LITTLE) on it and lightly brush it with a cleaning brush. comes up perfectly clean with no effort when warm.

granted it makes chicken taste like ***.. but for things like steak its awesome.

but if u really dont like it, just take it back and ask for your money back
Old 09 February 2004, 10:30 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

depends whether you're eating for pleasure or for requirement
If you are eating for pleasure then you want the fat, if you are eating healthiliy because you need / want to, don't eat high fat food! Trying to take something that is inherently fatty and "unhealthy" and making it helthy by taking everything out of it that makes it taste good seems a little pointless to me, may as well eat the packaging.
Old 09 February 2004, 10:32 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Agree with milo, I use mine all the time, especially for bangers and burgers, and even veg.

Dave
Old 09 February 2004, 10:42 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

read up about ckd diets and their benefits. these involve eating a lot of fat and are VERY healthy. furthermore, fats are easy calories. if u need to keep calories high out of necessity, this can be a beneficial way of doing it.

furthermore, if you're eating for pleasure.. you may want some fat for taste.. but not necessarily all of the animal fats.

Originally Posted by OllyK
If you are eating for pleasure then you want the fat, if you are eating healthiliy because you need / want to, don't eat high fat food! Trying to take something that is inherently fatty and "unhealthy" and making it helthy by taking everything out of it that makes it taste good seems a little pointless to me, may as well eat the packaging.
Old 09 February 2004, 11:31 AM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Ah, the GF grill.

The saviour of many a bulking diet.

I do tuna steaks, beef steaks and chicken on mine, and yes it does leave the meat rather dry but thats what sauces are marinades are for.

I couldn't live without it.

If you're cooking 3-4 chicken breasts a day its a indepensible device.

Roger
Old 09 February 2004, 12:10 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

We use ours all the time. Think it's brilliant. Really easy to use and clean.
Chicken breasts are especially good when cooked on it.
Wouldn't be without one now.
Old 09 February 2004, 12:43 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

Never thought about one until my mate cooked me some lamb chops on his. They were so good I got one at xmas and have used it a couple of times for bacon, pork chops, steaks and sausages. Always taste great!

Steve
Old 09 February 2004, 12:48 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Used ours for the first time on Saturday, 2 salmon steaks. We're havin them again tonight. Love it, well done George!
Old 09 February 2004, 12:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

but for things like steak its awesome.
I shudder to think how many steaks have been through that machine of yours

How long does it take to do a chicken breast or two on the foreman? The reason I'm asking is that could be very useful for a fast chicken based small meal (bulking). What do you recommend pouring on said cooked chicken for flavour (something quick)?
Old 09 February 2004, 01:24 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mixed emotions on these, my flat mate has one, so I sometimes use it.

Good because you can put your stuff in and fck off for 7 mins, it beeps you come back and its done - easy.

However, it is a bit of a **** to clean and I wonder how much better it is for you than a regular grill?? - Also the cooking is direct contact heat whereas a regular grill is not, I find the texture flavour better on a regular grill.
Old 09 February 2004, 01:33 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a george Foreman!! Absolutely fantastic! I love doing fruit on it, especially banana, sprinkled with cinnamon!
Old 09 February 2004, 01:35 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i would guess that several hundred cows have died and been slapped on my george foreman grill in the name of bodybuilding science

a chicken fillet generally takes only about 8 mins. thats based on 2 thin ones weighing about 150g each. make sure they're cooked thru of course.. but it takes less time than u expect. leave it in too long and it WILL impare the flavor quite badly

when it comes to chicken, i prefer to get the better quality full breasts (they're usually about £5.99ish for 4-5 large ones - not frozen), wrap them in foil and do them in the oven for about 35 mins.

i dont bother with sauces but if u really cant stand them plain, salsa is a good choice.. or pesto.. or theres some tomato/garlic type sauce (usually next to the pesto in tesco). bbq is very popular.. lots of sugar tho. if you're bulking its a possibility i have it on good authority that ronnie coleman drowns his chicken in bbq sauce.. and its not done him much harm

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I shudder to think how many steaks have been through that machine of yours

How long does it take to do a chicken breast or two on the foreman? The reason I'm asking is that could be very useful for a fast chicken based small meal (bulking). What do you recommend pouring on said cooked chicken for flavour (something quick)?
Old 09 February 2004, 02:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

"i would guess that several hundred cows have died and been slapped on my george foreman grill in the name of bodybuilding science"

LMAO With that every Scoobynet Veggie is marking you 'ignored'
Old 09 February 2004, 08:27 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

They do a fantastic steak........$hite breakfast though!!

Cleaning is a right b@$t@rd!! esp a Gammon!!
Old 09 February 2004, 08:39 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Just buy a ribbed cast iron pan. You can get this much hotter which will cook meat better than a GF grill.

chip.
Old 09 February 2004, 09:12 PM
Scooby Drew
Scooby Regular

The GF grill does great steak and chicken.

I find it's best to use a powder marinade rather than sauce as is doesn't "burn" on to the meat, it cooks in - currently reccommend Stubb's Bar-B-Q Spice Rub
Old 09 February 2004, 10:13 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Isn't the GF aimed at "pikey" consumers i.e. habitual Argos shoppers.. they usually end up at the back of the cupboard with bread makers, fondue sets and other crap made by moulinex ???
Old 10 February 2004, 08:38 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

i think the business plan probably had athletes and bodybuilders in mind... who need to eat a lot of grilled food... several times a day.

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Isn't the GF aimed at "pikey" consumers i.e. habitual Argos shoppers.. they usually end up at the back of the cupboard with bread makers, fondue sets and other crap made by moulinex ???
Old 10 February 2004, 08:39 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

pmsl... classic quote

Originally Posted by UltimaGraphics
" i'm making so much money from it i put my naaaame on it"
Old 10 February 2004, 08:54 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Hey here's a ******* revolutionary idea- why not use the grill that comes provided on you oven and put the food on the wire mesh? Or use a griddle pan on the hob? Either way you will see the fat drip from your food and you won't have to buy one of these "pikey special" (to paraphrase someone else ) things from Argos or Index.
Old 10 February 2004, 08:59 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

because on a grill that comes provided on the oven, you only get heat coming from where the flame is... which means you have to stand over the food and turn it (you'd have to stand over it for safety anyway.. and to ensure it doesnt burn).

with the gf grill, you can slap the food on it, turn the timer on to 10 mins and it gets cooked on both sides evenly while you can **** off

not to mention the fact that it also cooks food far quicker, is portable and is far easier to clean.

Originally Posted by NACRO
Hey here's a ******* revolutionary idea- why not use the grill that comes provided on you oven and put the food on the wire mesh? Or use a griddle pan on the hob? Either way you will see the fat drip from your food and you won't have to buy one of these "pikey special" (to paraphrase someone else ) things from Argos or Index.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:11 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

You mean the food you cook just involves grilling something and that's it? What an awfully boring diet you must have. I usually put something under the grill and spend the rest of the time preparing the sauce, vegetables etc. Meanwhile I can monitor the grilling food from time to time.

I think the attitude most people have to food stinks- it isn't just a source of nourishment it is also a sensory delight.

As for being portable does that mean you take it to other GF-grill owners houses and have a group cook in?

It's just another gadget for mugs/those with no culinary skill.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:19 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

like many athletes, i eat 8 meals a day.

if i spent time preparing sauces for each meal.. thats all id do all day long... not that theres any nutritional value in a sauce anyway.

yes, u probably would think i have a boring diet... i eat purely for function, not for enjoyment. id happily eat manure if i genuinely thought it would improve me athletically. it doesn't however.. but many foods which purely involve grilling (steaks, chicken, salmon etc) do.

just because not everyone marvels in the delight that is a carrot and some sauce, it doesnt mean the attitude we have to food stinks... it means it's different to yours. each to their own, or do you not agree?

fair enough if u want to spend an hour making your creamy cheese sauce. not all of us want to eat that crap, and even fewer can be bothered to do it.

as for portability... sure, if u really wanted to you could have a group cook-in... but i was thinking more in terms of ability to take it outside on a hot day (tho a bbq is of course better), ease of cleaning, disposability, easy to put away when not in use, can take it with u if u go on a self-catering holiday and want/need to cook your own food.. etc.

dont confuse "no culinary skills" with desire to have a perfect diet.

Originally Posted by NACRO
You mean the food you cook just involves grilling something and that's it? What an awfully boring diet you must have. I usually put something under the grill and spend the rest of the time preparing the sauce, vegetables etc. Meanwhile I can monitor the grilling food from time to time.

I think the attitude most people have to food stinks- it isn't just a source of nourishment it is also a sensory delight.

As for being portable does that mean you take it to other GF-grill owners houses and have a group cook in?

It's just another gadget for mugs/those with no culinary skill.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:20 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Bah! All this talk of low fat etc diets will no doubt be proved to be harmful to your health in a few years when scientists discover a chemical in the animal fat that is useful for the fight against cancer...

May as well enjoy the dripping lardy fry-up properly, but not eat it in excess...

<Homer mode on>
Mmmm sausages...
<Homer mode off>
Old 10 February 2004, 09:25 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

fat IS vital in a diet.. any diet... including some animal fat. many even say animal fat is a precursor to internal test production (i beg to differ... but there is SOME level of truth in that).

however, it's vital to get the ratio of omega-3 fats right.

so when eating several steaks a day, unless you're willing to drink a few tbsps of flaxseed oil (i am, not many are), it can be helpful to lower the animal fats in some of them.

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
Bah! All this talk of low fat etc diets will no doubt be proved to be harmful to your health in a few years when scientists discover a chemical in the animal fat that is useful for the fight against cancer...

May as well enjoy the dripping lardy fry-up properly, but not eat it in excess...

<Homer mode on>
Mmmm sausages...
<Homer mode off>
Old 10 February 2004, 09:57 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Milo if you eat food purely for it's function then you are missing out on one of life's great pleasures. As for making "some sort of cheesy sauce"- words fail me the only thing cheesy here is the thought of someone eating 8 meals a day and prancing around wearing tight trunks while covered in oil . Please tell me you do this professionally as your only source of income and I might have some respect for your diet choice.
Always strikes me as odd that a lot of muscle freaks regard anything that deviates from their strict dietry needs as crap then pump themselves full of steroids and other performance enhancers- not saying this is true in your case but it is in lots of others.
I stay in shape by running and sparring this leaves me in good enough condition to get my **** out on the beach and fit for life, surely the whole point of any fitness regime?

Last edited by NACRO; 10 February 2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:59 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'd also like to suggest that cheese on toast would be better done in a conventional grill environment.

Quick Reply: George Foreman Grill - Crap !