Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just started listening to DVD-Audio & SACD

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 08:48 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just started listening to DVD-Audio & SACD

Well, I have about 3000 tracks on CD - I am now gonna burn that crap and listen to the handful of DVD Audio and SACD albums I have.

It's just bloody brilliant - especially DVD Audio mixed properly - SACD sounds good but I think DVD audio has more depth and clarity.

What's everyone elses opinion so far...

Old 09 February 2004, 08:57 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

I'm a two channel die hard,and i cant be arsed to spend another fortune on kit and new gear,so i will convince myself they wont get all the mixes right so i will stick to vinyl and CD

in 5/6 years when the kit is cheap and CDs are mostly one or the other,then maybe
Old 09 February 2004, 09:11 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I also use both.

I've had mixed results with DVD-A, but when they do get it right they are magic. SACD is always good but never really really good.

LA Woman - The Doors is excellent on DVD-A, the multi-channel is worth having and adds another level to what is a cracking album.

Cheers

Ian
Old 09 February 2004, 09:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Deffo believe that the mixer makes or breaks the tune & DVD-A usurps SACD

Was just listening to Queens Play The Game and old Freddies vocals take on a whole new dimension..
Old 09 February 2004, 09:51 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure that all music will benefit,i would love to hear The Wall mixed properly in SACD,but Eva Cassidy should be left alone imo,and Bob Dylan,i just cant imagine one man and a geetar really improving in multi channel,but i know nowt
Old 09 February 2004, 10:04 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I work in the Audio Industry and I've got to say DVD-A is bl00dy terrific!!!
SA-CD is a bit of an albatross. It won't last due to the overly-stringent manufacturing process of the discs It's just too costly to make em.

However, DVD-A is the way forward Check out the Crowded House DVD-A. Mixed in DTS That's how it should sound

The Who have just released a load of remastered stuff. Of course, you're looking at 96KHz 24Bit. It makes CD sound like your listening to music with a pillow over your head....

It's the way forward.

Dan
Old 10 February 2004, 08:28 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

dba - I agree 1 man and a guitar should be left in stereo - DVD-Audio can do that. But with the complexity of music from the likes of queen an pink floyd it opens the soundfield (I think that's the right phase) and sounds superb. Sound that was overpowered in a 2 channel mix can now be heard clearly..
Old 10 February 2004, 08:32 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

<humbug>

two speakers good
5 speakers baaaaad

</humbug>
Old 10 February 2004, 09:15 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I agree 1 man and a guitar should be left in stereo.
But you're missing the point. Don't just think of it in terms of instruments....

Fine - keep the musicianship simple, but the environment (reverb/ambience etc) will benefit from Surround. It will sound as it was recorded - in the room.

Dan
Old 10 February 2004, 11:14 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Never heard a DVD-A disk but one word springs to mind and that's "expense"

I'm sure they're fantastic but (and this is a bit butt) I couldn't imagine forking out on half decent multichannel CD/amp setup as well as a multichannel speaker package that would be able to integrate seamlessly. Ouch !!

Not sure how Naim would fare at this either as soundstage isn't exactly their thing so I'd have to scrap all and start again.

IMO to do it properly (to decent 2 channel quality) would cost a fortune as the speaker engineering alone would be a nightmare. Can't imagine how you could get the crossing over of drive units/frequencies right for 5 cabinets and also take different room characteristics into account too (hard enough getting two speakers positioned correctly).

If I do anything then I'll probably invest more into my vinyl replay than anything else. Hmmm, warmth, emotion, intimacy, analogue
Old 10 February 2004, 12:02 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

Limited product range, eratic application of surround (Ziggy vocals from left rear is wierd) and overpriced suppliers are not helping.

On the upside - implementated properly (Queen - ANATO, Bowie - Heathen) then it is a wonderful thing. SACD hybrid also does red book CD very well (DSOTM etc. ).
Old 10 February 2004, 01:03 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i agree with ctr.

i can't really see how having a couple of dodgy little speakers in the corners of the room adds anything other than novelty to the listening experience. the soundstage reproduced by a really good 2 channel system is awesome.

apart from the cost, to correctly balance 5 channels in a typical living room must be nigh-on impossible.

give me an old fashioned gramophone any day..