Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Barbados - Advice Regarding Going There.

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 03:38 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Barbados - Advice Regarding Going There.

I was going to go to Florida, but having discussed it, It doesn't sound like it would be a relaxing holiday - more of a holiday that will leave me feeling exhausted. I want a holiday where I can chill out for nine of ten nights.

Has anyone been to Barbados ? Ideally we will be off in September, but does anyone know what the weather would be like then ? I don't want it really hot, but then again I don't want to be off in the monsoon season

Next question is where did you book it ? Am I better waiting a couple of weeks and getting a late deal ? Or would you reccomend somewhere like Lunn Poly/ Thomsons etc

Finally, any do's / don'ts whilst there ?

Many Thanks,

Matt
Old 09 February 2004, 03:42 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

I have been to the dominican and Cuba in september and it was efiing hot mate.
Old 09 February 2004, 03:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Parents went to Barbados a few years back. Hot and Humid. They were not that impressed, guess it depends where you go, but sounds like most of it was a scrap yard. When something stops working, they just leave it where it died
Old 09 February 2004, 03:59 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Do take a wristwatch if you hire out a jetski. The guys hiring them out start waving you back in long before your time is up. Haggle on the price/length of hire.

Do be prepared for frequent hassle from peddlars etc on the beach and elsewhere.

Do go on the Jolly Roger cruise - but watch the rum punch, it is really strong!

Do put your shoes/flip-flops upside down or in the shade when on the beach - they'll be too hot to wear otherwise.

If you get a hire car drive carefully. Many of the roads have massive pot holes. Also, you may go round a corner and find a huge cow/children playing etc in the middle of the road.

Don't be temped in getting a car without a roof - you'll be glad of the shade.

Do wear a top inside banks/shops etc - it's considered very rude if you don't by the locals.

At the risk of stating the obvious - take high factor sun lotion.

Do be prepared to see lots of poverty.

Last edited by Jerome; 09 February 2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09 February 2004, 05:03 PM
RallyMarshal
Scooby Regular

Love Barbados - been there 3 times in the last 2 years and going back in May for the Rally Carnival (again).. Also helps that my girlfriend (living in the UK) is Bajan.

In terms of accomodation and late booking etc, depends what you want.. cheap deals via Indigo Holidays and BA holidays often have offers too. Try to go scheduled flights if possible as charter flights for 8+ hrs is more uncomfortable.

Have 2 main options, West Coast or South Coast.

West Coast is generally more upmarket and expensive and more 'refined' and south coast is younger, livelier and cheaper.

Local Beer is cheap and anything imported isnt - try the local foods if you want to eat cheaper and Oistins on a Friday night (I think its Friday anyways) is good.

Locals are friendly and speak English (though the dialect is quickly spoken and takes a little getting used to sometimes) and although there are peddlars on the beaches they will take not interested for an answer and dont turn nasty etc - Ive never felt intimidated out there..

Bridgetown the capital and where the best shopping is - tax free for lots of it.

Ive stayed on the south coast - Coconut Court (Hastings) and Casuarina Beach (just down from St Laurence) Hotels and also with friends on the West Coast - (Sunset Crest) and for me, the South Coast is better.

Temperature is between 25 and 32 degrees year round and weather can be changable in certain seasons but still warm - even when it rains.

Hire a car or jeep and travel up the east coast to Cherry Tree Hill and to the North of the island - east coast is very different to South and West.

Oh and if youre interested, theres some kind of motorsport from karting to track racing to rallying every weekend..

Paul..
Old 10 February 2004, 10:07 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking the time to write your replies. Not sure if barbados is for me if its going to be so hot
Old 10 February 2004, 10:38 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Its soooo hot there !
But a really nice place to go.....I fell in love with the Island.

I stayed in 'The Royal Pavillion' Hotel which was nothing short of excellent and would recomend it.

The locals are very friendly and polite.

Enjoy your stay !

Last edited by Wish; 10 February 2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10 February 2004, 10:45 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Cancun in Mexico can be relaxing as you make it - super beach (no people around). A very modern resort with shopping etc - plus plenty to see and do in the area (if you wish)

Barbados - my parents went there and loved it (west coast)
Old 10 February 2004, 11:04 AM
lloydy
Scooby Regular

Barbados is really good that time of year.All inclusive is a good bet as eating out is a bit pricey.If you don't fancy barbados the Florida Keys is a fantastic place to go,very laid back and an ideal place to chill out or find something to do(loads of fishing,snorkelling,diving).
Old 10 February 2004, 01:16 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dont bother with Barbados, over comericalised and everyone will hassle you

try Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos islands, its nearer to Miami so less flying time and also its a good temperature and gets a nice cooling trade wind, has most of the US celebrities hiding in Parrot cay and West caicos

I recomend www.seafeathers.com Sally is the Director and will cut you a brilliant villa

Cant rave about the place enough, diving is the best in the world, Tanya Streeter did her world record free dive there and the coral reef is unspolied, sailing and wreck diving is easy, you can rent jet ski's and no worrying about being ripped off, night life is good, and its currency is the US dollar so you can have cheap holiday thanks to Bush ruining the economy, the people are friendly and ther are some ruins to look around and a conch farm which is the only one in the world, my first day we saw a dolphin and a stingray and the next morning snorkelling of the beach behind the villa i swam with 5 manta rays - unbelivable experince!!

think the phone no is 001 649 94 15703 - they are 5 hours behind us, check out the website to get an idea though, hope you enjoy it as much as we did

Ray