Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Canon Ixus again!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 06:19 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Canon Ixus again!

Oh no another digital camera thread… please bear with me though!

I’ve been researching for ages into which digital camera to get. It gets harder to decide what to buy the more you look!!
I’ve got a Pentax SLR but I want something small and digital for when our baby arrives. After reading several threads on scoobynet I think I have finally decided on the Canon Digital IXUS 400.
I’ve read loads of reviews on it and it seems to have pleased a lot of people. I’ve just read through 58 reviews on amazon!
However there are still some questions I’d really appreciate some help with before I part with my cash.

My main worry is will this camera have the ability to capture those one off moments?
For those of you who have the camera do you find it slow to take a succession of pictures?
I know when our baby arrives I’m going to want to capture facial expressions or one off moments. I know I can do that with Pentax but with the lenses I use it makes it a bit bulky for every day use. I imagine I’ll be able to shove the IXUS in my pocket or into the bottom of the pram and have it with me for those one off moments.
I know there is bound to be some sort of delay between pics but I’d rather choose a camera that has minimum pause.

Am I looking for something impossible, or is there a digital camera out there that will be suitable for me?

There was a thread on here the other day but I can’t find it. Would really appreciate if anyone has any IXUS thread links or anything else relevant.
I was wondering which memory card to go for and I know that was discussed in a thread wish I’d saved it at the time.

Did someone say the other day that there may be a newer model out soon? I don’t want to buy it now if a new one will be out in a couple of months. Just want to get one before 5th May when the baby’s due.
Oh yeah and I’m dying to have a go at the next photo comp

Sorry this is a bit long winded…. Would really appreciate your advice on this one.

Thanks in advance
Cath
Mrs.S
Old 07 February 2004, 09:48 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cath, I've had a Ixus 400 for the past 9 months or so and I love it.
I first discovered how good Canon's digital cameras were after buying a A70 for my parents after reading plenty of reviews. The first thing that hit me was the speed of playback on the A70 probably about 4 times faster tham my Olympus E10 digital SLR, so from that moment I looked into them and bought a Ixus 400.
This camera does almost everything my SLR digital does but with the major bonus of being very small.
As you rightly put it there is always going to be a slight delay but it is minimal with the 400, I've taken some magic one off shots at parties.
I opted for a 256 Mb Fuji compact flash card which you can order online for about £40, this card would give you about 144 high resolution photos can't quite remember the exact number of low res shots but it's over 2500!!
Continuous shooting is quoted at 2.5 fps upto 5 shots or 1.5 fps for upto 8 shots, I'm sure in that time you could capture that one off moment.
I regards of a newer model not sure but who cares, it's the same as computers if you wait you get something faster but how long do you hold out for? The Ixus 400 will be more that enough for you, my SLR just doesn't get used anymore and that's saying something for a camera that was 3x the price of the Ixus!
One tip you might already know of, but search the web for the camera of your choice using http://uk.pricerunner.com or http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk to find the cheapest and take it to jessops who should price match, I did. At that time you can also try it to make sure it's the one for you.
Go for it you won't regret it.

Last edited by Rob D; 07 February 2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07 February 2004, 10:12 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

If you are doing the baby thing you need 35mm SLR particularly if the flash is being used (I guess a top dollar digi SLR would be good too, but no experience here).

I also say this as the new proud owner of a FANTASTIC laser guided focusing Sony DSC V1!!! One of the reasons I got this cam was for its minimal shutter lag (and the modes you can put it in to minimise this further). However with the flash on last night (& red eye off as this slows it down further) I was not really able to snap the baby looking to cam before she looked away... There is ZERO shutter or AF lag on a 35mm SLR (well my Canon EOS anyway); that's what you need for babies!

The IXUS is a fab camera and was my second/third choice (maybe you want to compare shutter and AF lag on dpreview.com as I can ridiculously recommend the Sony) - it will be great for non-portrait shots and will fire pretty quickly outdoors on wide angle. Horses for courses (I'd point you to my few month old thread and baby pics on this, but cant find the 'search' function!)

D

This is GREAT data and this cam looks at 0.4" total lag QUICK despite what I say... The Canon is twice that but still only 0.8!http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page11.asp

Last edited by Diesel; 07 February 2004 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add link (properly!)
Old 07 February 2004, 10:19 AM
ChrisB

Hi Cath,

I have the Ixus 400 for the same job you're thinking of getting one for. I've got a lovely Minolta SLR but at times you don't want to be lugging it and assorted accessories around.

DPReview has a review of the Ixus 400 here

They have a specific section on reaction times of the camera on Page 8

HTH,

Chris.

Last edited by ChrisB; 07 February 2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07 February 2004, 11:28 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys some great comments and review links there
Going to have a look at those price comparison sites now.

Thanks again everyone
cath
Old 07 February 2004, 11:42 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Bought a Canon A70 this morning. Used Rob D's tip and got Jessops to price-match it at £209.99. It makes a pretend shutter noise when you take a pic
Old 07 February 2004, 11:59 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

lol @ pretend shutter noise!!!