Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fire Extinguisher Exploded - How?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 08:31 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Exploded - How?

Today in school one of the quite new powder fire extinguishers exploded of its own accord.

It is unlikely that it was tampered with as it was during a lunch time and very people use the room and those who do are trust worthy characters. Just wondering what could cause one to just randomly blow?
Old 04 February 2004, 08:36 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

was it near a radiator
Old 04 February 2004, 08:41 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it was near a radiator but that is a good point I will go and ask them tomorrow and if it was point out the safety implications.

Didn't actually see the extinguisher itself as was rather cloudy, but I am guessing that it exploded out of the handle? Rather then the metal itself.

Just a second question which I have, the school has recently converted an old house to be a music block. However there is only one way out from the top down the stairs and out the front door. Is this legal as I am sure they have to have to exit points????

To be honest the hole building is dodgy as it had to be re-wired after two weeks once the realised it was wired incorrectly the first time.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:27 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

A modern fire extinguisher should have a pressure release valve on it, and so placing it next to a radiator should not be a problem.

A fire extinguisher should not explode of its own accord. They have been know to have exploded when in a fire, but not at room temp!!!

Check to see if the pin is still in and whether the tamper evident seal is still in place. If they are, thenphone the extinguisher supplier and give them hell.

As for needing two exit routes? Not sure it is a mandatory requirement for a school, but this should obviously be noted within your fire risk assessment, and action taken accordingly. Nothing should be stored in the exit route. There should be no posters, notices, pictures etc on the walls, and the top and bottom of the stairs should really be protected by a half hour fire door. The building should have automatic fire detection thourghout, even in cupboards and basements. This will give more warning and so some time to get out.

If you are unhappy, contact the local fire officer who will be happy to come round and look at the new building. However they should have got fire regulation approval as part of the building control certificate?
Old 05 February 2004, 06:24 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

The whole building is a disaster to be honest, it was an old house and has been converted to allow people to use as mini music class rooms.

When we first moved in the doors did not close properly (there are no automatic closers on doors and I swear all school buildings should have these on internal doors. The stairway is rather narrow and when tring to get to the door from the stairs there is another door to a large classroom. So if there was a fire it would be very difficult to get nearly 60 people out and how you could get out if there was a fire at the stairwell is beyond me.

I do not have access to the fire extinguisher as I am a pupil, but I shall be making my fellings known especially as there are loose wires etc everywhere.
Old 06 February 2004, 12:31 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Get your parents to write to the school and request a copy of their current fire risk assesment, and fire policy document. This will show up any major problems with their policy, and whether these things have been considered.

I know schools are short of money, but safety is not an area where they can scrimp. Upgrading will be a gradual process, but new installaions and redevelopments need to be up to modern fire safety standards.

If you are concerned phone your local fire officer and ask for a visit.
Old 06 February 2004, 12:58 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

IIRC a school will have an ispection every 6 months. Anything picked up on that inspection should be actioned by the school asap.
If you have concerns contact your local brigade HQ and ask to talk to an officer in the fire safety department re. a legislative fire saftey issue.
Old 06 February 2004, 03:28 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The school should have repoted the incident under the RIDDOR regs. These state:

Dangerous occurrence
If something happens which does not result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done, then it may be a dangerous occurrence which must be reported immediately (eg by telephone or completing a form on this web site)
http://www.riddor.gov.uk/info.html

Reportable dangerous occurrences are:
2)explosion, collapse or bursting of any closed vessel or associated pipework;

You could also contact your local HSE unit as well.They are on 08701 545500.

DO something about it. If you dont it could be you who gets badly injured if it happend again.

Chip.

Last edited by Chip; 06 February 2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 05:33 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Went in today and they appear to be fixing a lot of the odds and ends which I thought may be safety hazards. Including removing obsticles out of way and rempairing loose damaged stuff.

I get the feeling they realised that stuff wasn't up to standard but probably thought that it could wait. Now they appear to be doing stuff about it
Old 06 February 2004, 07:52 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Or one of the staff is a scoobynetter!
Old 06 February 2004, 07:55 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

LOL