Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unnecessary police speeeds in 30 zones

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2004, 01:09 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

why do the police insist on travelling at 90+ in a 30 to a call with only lights flashing to find a fiesta police car and trani already there. iresponsible or what!!!???
I was walking to the pub and saw this in front of my own eyes.
Thank god I didn't choose to cross the road at that point...
Old 22 January 2004, 09:34 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I did once...

I was living in Brixton, just off Tulse Hill and wandered off to the Esso station there for some ****. It was about 12:00/midnight & Tulse Hill was empty. Heard a police car hooning it up out of Brixton & it came round the corner (some 300 yds away). I judged the speed/distance and decided I could wander across the road safely before they even got 50 yds away, so I did. As I REACHED the other side of the road (quite wide) I heard a massive screech of tyres, looked round and saw Rover 3500 SD1 all 4 wheels locked up - 100 yds away! I wandered off, they released their brakes and carried on. I always did wonder about that driver's reaction times...
Old 22 January 2004, 01:03 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Saw a police transit van speed into Cheltenham high street sideways , no sirens. Middle of a Saturday evening so there were quite a few people wandering about. Luckily the driver managed to gather it up, I dread to think what would have happend if they had lost it. That kind of behaviour is just irresponsible IMHO no matter how serious the emergency.
Old 22 January 2004, 01:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Just the other night I saw a police car go through red lights at a busy 30mph junction at over 60mph (lights and siren on though). They were just trying to pull over a car which pulled over without hesitation. Was it REALLY worth that level of endangerment (this was an astra btw not a fancy traffic car) to give someone a ticking off or fixed penalty fine??
Old 22 January 2004, 02:13 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like the adverts in this thread. Headline " SN and Google encourage users to buy flashing blue lights in order to imitate police cars", top fun

Old 22 January 2004, 02:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmm, just a thought, weapons of mass destruction, Uzi 9mm, small nuclear devices, anti-gatzo devices, anti-radar, anti-wheel clamping, how to escape speeding fines, bomb making equipment, cheap illegal drugs, blah, blah, blah etc. etc.

I reckon these adverts will offer hillarity on a grand scale
Old 23 January 2004, 11:44 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Look everyone!!!!

Police will travell to urgent calls asap. They will back each other up - if its a known flash point area they will have 5-6 cars attend and they will all travel to get there asap unless they are told otherwise even when some cars have already arrived.

certain crimes will require a silent approach (breaks in progress etc) so that is why they use lights only. Also the blue lights can bounce around an estate so sometimes they will be turned off as well.

We pull cars over for numerous reasons not just for traffic misdemenours. Known criminals or wanted suspects driving or seen in them. So we will go through traffic lights in order to stop them.

We sometimes get directed to an urgent call, only to be stood down moments later - hence why sometimes you will see a police car pass you at high speed with blues and twos only to switch them off moments later.

I'm not saying that everyone is perfect - if you do feel aggrieved then make a complaint
Old 23 January 2004, 11:52 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

The last time someone said they'd made a complaint about a policeman on here, there was a veritable wall of Wall's jumping in bleating about how terribly serious complaints were taken, and how it would adversely affect the officer, and won't someone please think of the children...

How about not acting like a small-dicked officious **** with a uniform fetish in the first place?
Old 23 January 2004, 02:11 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Carter

How simple is it!!!!!

If you feel agrieved - make a complaint, else shut up and let the police do their job!!!
Old 23 January 2004, 09:50 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately some police drivers let the side down, most are great and well like in many walks of life risks get taken. Lets hope most police drivers think once think twice and think what might be coming.

Its better to arrive late than DEAD on time!
Old 24 January 2004, 12:01 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've read loads of stories about this and my own parents were nearly mown down by a police car which lost control on a country lane whilst they were out walking - it had no sirens or lights on. Any way being quite annoyed, about a year or so ago I tried to look up some stats and I decided that..

3433 people were killed on UK roads last year. 44 of them by the Police....

...that means 1 out of every 78 people killed on the roads is killed by a Policeman

If I've got that right that's very

Following on from above, there are approx 33 million drivers in Britain and 150,000 police officers so if they account for 1 out of 78 of road deaths then a police officer is nearly 3 times more likely to kill someone on the roads than a member of the public
Old 24 January 2004, 12:53 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

do those stats inc joy riders/thives who die in chases?
Old 24 January 2004, 07:45 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry, running a set of red lights at 60mph is unjustifiable. I understood them to be treated as a 'give way' by the emergency vehicles. The stats above are a bit scary, and one would assume that these are deaths directly attributed to police vehicles being directly responsible for the deaths, and not the assertion that its caused by joyriders/*******.
I agree that if the police stood by and watched the ******* nick and drive cars like albanian asylum seekers going to the shops they would be in for a fair amount of stick, but some of the manouvers I've seen performed by police cars over the years makes me cringe.
Old 24 January 2004, 01:06 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

It surely is one law for them and a different one for everyone else.

Like seeing my local traffic cop "off duty" in his family estate on his mobile phone whilst driving???

or the copper pulling out of the station in his trannie on his MOBILE PHONE whilst driving through a busy street!!!

Or the copper that nearly smashed up my old scoob after flying down a 30mph street at about 75 ON ICE and lost it(no blues or sirens)!!!

or the police car that every single morninig(except sat+sun) at 8:20 am insists on flying down my local street with sirens blazing at around 60mph in a 30 zone!!!!(yes it is the same car and driver!!)!!!!!

F*C***S
Old 24 January 2004, 01:42 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Talking

I frequently see police traffic cars (range rovers and the like) bombing up the hard shoulder with the blues and two's on when its rush hour -and I bet 50%+ of the time its just to beat the traffic and get some greshly baked do'h nuts...

Incidentally - when they join the force they have to take a semi taxing medical to get in - IMO they should have to take it every year and if they fail, they get taken to the knackers yard or put on admin duty till they lose weight - fat dohnut munching facists!!

Old 24 January 2004, 05:36 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Abdabz

everytime blues and twos are used they have to be justified - bear in mind that the control know what every car is currently doing.

Emergency service vehicles will use the heard shoulder if needed.

fat dohnut munching facists!!
- care to expand on this???? - I am none of these.

Old 24 January 2004, 06:14 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

greshly baked do'h nuts
ok yeah but they're sooo nice ,give 'em a break.
Shock horror,police are picked from the PUBLIC yeah real human beans,guess that makes them falible like EVERYONE else on the planet...ho hum.
Old 25 January 2004, 12:56 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Shock horror,police are picked from the PUBLIC yeah real human beans,guess that makes them falible like EVERYONE else on the planet...ho hum.
That's such a stupid argument it's not worth refuting, on the basis that someone making it is unlikely to be able to read the reply without their lips moving.
Old 25 January 2004, 07:25 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I like watching the Police, Camera, Action type programmes to see how many cop cars get smashed or deliberately run into other cars, the other week there was a dog van which harpooned a metro at a busy set of lights when the metro was stationary and a tramp almost got wiped out who was crossing the road! and a cop car that speared into an open car door when the guy was trying to get out sending him flying up over the bonnet, fair chance of counter charging for assault with a deadly weapon for that one, talk about red mist, you wouldn't think police forces would release such obviously incompetant displays of driving videos to the media, doesn't make them look very good.
Gary
Old 25 January 2004, 11:15 AM
timmy03
Scooby Regular

gotta love the google ad for dyslexia programmes, that'll be the greshly baked donuts :-)

on a serious note tho i have no prob with the police responding to jobs, and the majority of you wouldnt mind them doing 60 thro red lights if a bunch of scum broke into your house and attacked you wife, g/f etc.

think about it.
Old 25 January 2004, 11:45 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

I frequently see police traffic cars (range rovers and the like) bombing up the hard shoulder with the blues and two's on when its rush hour -and I bet 50%+ of the time its just to beat the traffic and get some greshly baked do'h nuts...
every police vehicle now has a 'black box' fitted, so when the blues n twos are going its recording. if the vehicles involved in an rta, the incident will be recorded, and can be downloaded.
if the driver is found to be negligent, they WILL get stuck on.

i have never been in a police vehicle that the driver has put the lights on to go and get some greshly baked do'h nuts. or freshly baked ones.

Incidentally - when they join the force they have to take a semi taxing medical to get in - IMO they should have to take it every year and if they fail, they get taken to the knackers yard or put on admin duty till they lose weight - fat dohnut munching facists!!
every police officer has to do officer safety training every 6 months so that they are competent in the use of their officer safety equipment and the techniques for using them. if you fail it , you are placed on restricted duties.
i personally also have to do public order training every 6 months aswell which is far from 'semi-taxing'!
oh, and i hate donuts.