Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blair on Newsnight

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2004, 11:23 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thought it was a very good performance and he answered the critics well. Some very good points made during the discussion, and I feel there will be more support for his proposals on top up fees as a result.

I hope he succeeds.
Old 20 January 2004, 06:13 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I certainly hope that snobby medical student doesn't get any press,as far as she is concerned,the rest of society owe her a "social life",even if that means those on lower incomes paying for it

Old 20 January 2004, 10:24 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

" We will not introduce top up fees. In fact we will legislate against it"

Tony Blair before the last general election.

Once again the man has shown he is just a blatant liar.

Chip.
Old 20 January 2004, 10:42 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The girl will be earning a very nice income for many years.Its only fair that she should pay someway towards that.
Old 20 January 2004, 10:57 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

the girl will be earning a very nice income for many years.Its only fair that she should pay someway towards that.
she will, don't worry. i am paying towards it. i look at my wage slip and see how much money i have given to the govt. that should be enough. i pay higher rate tax - 6 for me and 4 for them, not counting NICs.

the basic problem is that the govts. idea of dramatically expanding higher education is misguided. it isn't needed and they can't pay for it.
Old 20 January 2004, 11:11 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I reckon the whole of higher education needs to be reviewed.

There's apparently a national shortage of skilled manual workers, like electricians, plumbers etc. yet the sort of people who would maybe fill these roles go to University instead for 3 years, studying David Beckham or learning to speak Klingon, or some other equally daft course.

I personally don't believe that Students should have to pay for their courses, if the courses are a benefit to gaining a decent career.

If someone wishes to waste 3 years of their life studying something that does no more good for their chances of a career than sticking a pheasant down their pants for 3 years, then they should have to fork out the money to do so.
Old 20 January 2004, 11:22 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope he succeeds.
sorry mate, I hope he roasts!
Old 20 January 2004, 12:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
" We will not introduce top up fees. In fact we will legislate against it"

Tony Blair before the last general election.

Once again the man has shown he is just a blatant liar.

I disagree. He was grilled with this by Paxman , and he said time and time again that in the manifesto it was said that top up fees would not be introduced in this parliament, and they are not, they will be implemented if at all after the next election.

I listened to all the questions and responses, and havent got a problem at all with what is proposed. You can hardly say that Paxman is a soft interviewer, yet Blair IMHO came out on top and answered all he was asked in a coherant and satisfactorily manner. Any layman watching the program can only come to a similar conclusion.

What I got from the program was that this new system will provide grants to the poorest students, a waiver to any fees for poorest and a fairer repayment system once graduation and £15,000 plus job is secured. Any fees not paid within 25 years are scrapped.

What was interesting was the point made that spending on higher education was higher than that of any other group, ie. nursery primary and secondary, which IMO is the very places where more money can be spent.

Graduates can be expected to eard a much higher percentage than non graudates, as was pointed out, why should everyone contribute this system fully. Even after the proposed top up fees we as a general public will still be expected to pay 5/6ths of the university bills.

Also found the future doctor woman a bit naive. She could expect to be paid around £60-70,000 a year as a GP.

When I was at university I received no grants or anything from parents. Yet I walked out in credit. I cant understand the people when i was there running up bills of 20k plus, and that was a time when there was no need for upfront fees like there are now.
Old 20 January 2004, 12:23 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

just reduce the number of university courses by half. problem sorted. more competition for the places = better calibre students, more competition for lecturer jobs = higher quality lecturers.