Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Losing weight too quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 11:15 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Often hear people saying "you don't want to lose weight too quickly" - but can anyone quantify this?

I'm currently losing 2-3 pounds per week, from a weight of 15 st 10 lbs.

I just thought the first bit of weight should be easy to lose anyway as I was so overweight (should be closer to 12 stones not 16!). I fully expect the rate of decrease to slow. Considering the weight I'm coming down from, I don't think this is too fast.

If you do lose weight "too quickly" what are the health risks?
Old 17 December 2003, 11:26 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if there are health risks with actually losing the weight too quickly. Most of the risks are from the activities or diets used to achieve the results.

What are you doing/eating to achive the weight loss?

e.g. if you were eating a balanced diet with less sugar/fat, but running 10-miles every day I'd probably say the risks would be running-related (shin splints, knee, hip problems, etc..)

Also, if you were trying some weird diet are you getting sufficient vitamins and nutrients?

Stefan
Old 17 December 2003, 11:38 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Eating normally at meal times, but just cutting out all the cr4p I used to eat between and after meals! Other than that, I've been walking every lunchtime for about 30 minutes. Do want to start running eventually, but want to lose more weight, and carry on with the walking for a while to build up stamina and fitness.
Old 17 December 2003, 11:47 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

im doing the same mate, was 16 stone 1lb, now im around 15 3lb, eating exactly the same just playing football again, losing at the same rate as you, i think its perfectly normal mate, your body is getting itself back to its natural size and weight.
Old 17 December 2003, 12:03 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Stretch marks?
Old 17 December 2003, 12:08 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fitzscoob - you've lost exactly the same amount as me! I'm now at 14st 12 lbs, so I've lost 12 lbs in about 3 and a bit weeks. First time I've been under 15st for 3 or 4 years!

Definately worth the effort. Not that it's been too much effort - I'm enjoying the walks, and I'm already finding I'm not as hungry as I used to be. Just got Christmas to get through - my target is just not to put on any weight, though hopefully may lose the odd pound.
Old 17 December 2003, 12:09 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Stretch marks?

Though probably true
Old 17 December 2003, 12:29 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ROFLMAO

Even 18 stone bodybuilders with 1% bodyfat have stretch marks

Can't see you having any health issues with that plan. Unless you're seriously unfit, over 40 or family have any history of heart disease then I wouldn't worry m8.

I would start to introduce some very slow jogging if your up to it. 10 mins to start with twice per week. The jog should be very slow and feel very easy (for running that is).

Slow jogging builds stamina and endurance and builds a healthy core cardiovascular system. It's much better (well less boring to me) than swimming or a rowing machine. It's fantastic for losing weight, but working your heart and lungs more than a brisk walk. You'll also burn more calories than walking (well in a shorter period and as long as you keep it slow).

Just make sure you run on something soft like grass. Local football/rugby pitches would be ideal. 10 mins lapping that would be a great start. No concrete or tarmac though as these increase the chances of injury.

Cycling is another great alternative.

Stefan
Old 17 December 2003, 12:36 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have foolishly volunteered to play in a company footy match in January, and so need to lose some flab and gain some fitness, so I will be dusting of me footy boots and returning to the training I used to do, running round the pitch, zig zag sprints up and down, dribbling the ball, short sprints followed by a crouch and back up and sprint the back but a little further, all that sort of stuff.

I fully expect to be walking like John Wayne for a week or so

I have also been doing 15-25 mins on my bike on the Turbo Trainer in the garage most evenings now.

[Edited by druddle - 12/17/2003 12:38:30 PM]