Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Open Universtity Degree.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 10:34 AM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering studing for a Open University degree and would like to hear of peoples experiences i.e. course availabilty, time scales to completion, assistance during, residential courses and how companies view the qualification (does it carry the same weight and a full time degree)...

Cheers,

Old 17 December 2003, 10:37 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I'm sure that you will get some more positive replies. However the "BA" from the Open University does not really carry the same weight as a real degree. When I looked into it (admitedly a long time ago) everything was so fragmented and you had to get a certain number of points in random subjects in order to obtain your degree.

Depending on the subject, you can get a degree from a University in America for around $1000 .. !

Steve.
Old 17 December 2003, 01:55 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
It will take a bit of time - for a degree you need to accrue a total of 360 points. If you're working fulltime, then you probably won't be able to do more than 60 points (due to time constraints) in a single year so it takes at least 6 years to get a degree. You can now get named degrees (they used to be either a BA or a BSc depending on whether the courses are arts-oriented or science oriented). Have a look at the website www.open.ac.uk for more info.
If you haven't studied for a while, you'll need to do one of the level-1 courses - pick the one most appropriate for the degree you're aiming for. It's also useful to have an idea of the degree you're aiming for, then you can plan what courses you're likely to need along the way.
You do get a fair amount of support for the courses - you have a tutor assigned, there's tutorials set up during the year (if you can, go to them as you can pick up all sorts of useful info for the next assignment/final exam). There's also a lot of help available online, as well as from fellow students if you're in a self-help group.
From experience (I'm currently working towards a BSc), it will take up a fair amount of your spare time especially when you've got an assignment deadline looming. I've occasionally been typing one up well into the small hours. Having said that though, I've enjoyed most of it.
Old 17 December 2003, 01:58 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

In terms of teaching quality/ability the OU is excellent and is consistently rated in the top 10 of all universities in the UK. Despite this the OU has still got a slight stigma attatched to it and their degrees can be seen as being a bit dodgy. Odd really considering what you need to do/juggle to get one but there you go.

Financially you can expect to pay about £3-4k which is peanuts ,compared to a conventional uni, as most OU students have full time jobs, families etc, etc. What you do save in cash though you pay for in time, social life and anything else a 16 hour study week gets in the way of. Having just finished my 5th year (usually takes about 6 years for a degree) I'm really starting to get cheesed off with it as it takes over your life completely.

If you're seriously looking to do one then you need to ask yourself if you can dedicate the next six years of your life to doing a degree and how it's going to affect it. From my experience the courses are usually decent but the tutors can be really hit/miss. Being your only real support then having a naff tutor can be a nightmare. They do set up an on-line forum for fellow students to discuss stuff but they can be hit/miss too.

If you are interested then I advise checking the presentation dates of all of the courses you want to do and also if there is any continuity in course structure. The biggest problem that I've come across has been the discontinuation of lower courses that have been essential in order to undertake the higher ones. Sounds ridiculous but it's something that the OU seems to do a lot of.

Hope this helps.
Old 17 December 2003, 04:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't see any problems with the OU nowadays. To say it's not a "real" degree is just daft.

Who would you respect more - some young prat who spent 4 yrs full-time getting pissed everynight and simply passing exams or someone who managed to hold a full-time job and juggle work/family commitments as well as putting in all the study and effor to pass more or less the same course?

I maybe wrong, but it would probably take a few moure years to obtain than a similar full-time course. I would certainly consider doing one rather than packing-in a full-time job to go back to Uni.

Stefan
Old 17 December 2003, 04:40 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

civictyper - spot on

personally I've done 3 years - and cheesed off.

16hours a week doesnt sound much - but from Feb - October (all the way thro' summer) - it gets on your t1ts big time.

and if you don't enjoy the subject your studying - its like stuffing your head in a blender.
(hence only do it if you are interested in a particular subject)

the assignments are pretty easy - but with approx 7/8 to do each year - they get a bit oppressive.

the level 1 courses are pretty general - and a very good place to start.
I took S103 Discovering Science and it is very interesting to learn about the world around.

only take it if you are serious or have a defined career planned - as it is a big waste of money otherwise.
Old 17 December 2003, 05:12 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about doing an OU course. The choice of courses you can do are good,but i can guarantee after the first year of studying i'd lose all motivation. I need to have the routine of going to/from college/uni and having other people around to keep me motivated.

Its a shame my mind works like that really as i wouldn't have had to make a choice about what i wanted , i could have had the best of both worlds so to speak. I would think very carefully before deciding on getting education like that.
Old 17 December 2003, 06:00 PM
zilch
Scooby Regular

I looked at degrees and decided to do a distance learning one with Sheffield Hallam university (MSc) in computer management sciences. The reason i went for SHU was that there is a mixture of home and residential, as well as a set timetable to complete your course work, basically 8 weeks per module. You aim to get Post graduate certificate year 1, 60 cat points, Postgrade diploma year 2, 120 cat points, and then project (work related) and dissertation in year 3 (180 cat points in total after 3 years) to earn the msc, not sure why OU wants you to get 360..this seems double the norm

Check out some of the non oxbridge type uni's before making your mind up on OU, these uni's do have some good courses, maybe local to make it easier and with strict deadlines puts the emphasis on you completing the work rather than letting it drift..its still bloody hard work though, especially juggling a job and trying to keep some form of social life .

Cheers

Jim

[Edited by zilch - 12/17/2003 6:01:22 PM]
Old 17 December 2003, 07:07 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

16hours a week doesnt sound much - but from Feb - October (all the way thro' summer) - it gets on your t1ts big time.
Yeah that's the other thing. At least conventional uni's have Easter and Summer breaks, even if it is only a few weeks. Working from Feb to Oct solid is a real drag especially when the guys at work are off to play footie or sit in a beer garden
Old 18 December 2003, 09:47 AM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gents, I gonna need to think long and hard...
Old 18 December 2003, 02:15 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

just got result today for 2003 (passed again - 3rd year)

it does make you feel good at this point - and you do think at least your doing something worthwhile - if like me you didn't go to Uni for one reason or another but know you have just as much ability as Uni Graduates - but seem to get overlooked by potential employers.

makes me look forward to next years start - although I know it will be another pain during the summer.
Old 18 December 2003, 02:17 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

What are you studying against? Whats the full sp on these residential courses?

Cheers,
Old 18 December 2003, 02:42 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

You need to consider that whilst people on here may appreciate that an OU degree is just as good as a "propper" degree, potential employers will tend to regard the OU degree as a Mickey Mouse degree.

As suggested, look at the distance learning programs operated by many of the big universities (Brunell etc). If you can persuade your employer that it'd benifit them they may contribute towards to costs too. Just be careful because if they do this they may want some cash back if you leave right after you graduate.
Old 18 December 2003, 02:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

what subject are thinking of studying?
Old 18 December 2003, 02:50 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Molecular Science. I've got a HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering but the subject bores the **** out of me so I dont want to carry it on.

Goochie,

With distance learing is there not a residential part of the courses?

Cheers,
Old 18 December 2003, 03:02 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Are you looking to follow a particular scientific career then? If so I wouldn't have thought the fact you have a degree from OU would be seen negatively in employers eyes so long as the course you do and the qualifications are a good match for the job you are applying for, particulary so in the sciences.
Old 18 December 2003, 03:19 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

Personally i dont agree that the OU is seen as being less worth than traditional Uni's, nevermind that its seen as "mickey mouse". Granted its not Oxbridge or Imperial, but to get a degree from the OU is more of an achievement than a degree from a lower or middling Uni. Also, and maybe more importantly, it infers a greater level of work ethic, persistance and achievement than a traditional 18-21 degree ever will.

As to the practicalities - if you want a distance learning course, then the OU has got to be very near the top of the list. Distance learning is what they've done for 40 years and they do it far better than many of the traditional uni's trying to get into that market.

Old 18 December 2003, 04:03 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

I'm studying Science with Biology -

anyone with a traditional degree (well done) - but try it this way and you will think yours was easy to manage time/study (not implying easy subject).

mortgage/family/bills (normal worries) - then after working a full week add 16+ hours of study - timed assignments, and an end of year exam. (for 6 years)

if employers dont think this is as good as a traditional degree :-

a) they are wrong
b) upto us OU students to educate them.
Old 18 December 2003, 10:40 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Someone once told me that two thirds of OU degrees are taken by inmates with time on their hands! Probably not quite but.....

:-)

Mike
Old 19 December 2003, 07:27 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Bang on DAC. It really buggs me that OU degrees are viewed as lesser qualifications by the uneducated (employers etc).

Probably one of their more advanced faculties, that probably stands out from the rest, is their planetary science dept. I appreciate that other uni's do good work but what other is currently landing a probe on Mars for scientific analysis (Beagle 2). Incidentally it's being ejected from Mars Express today on it's final decent to the Martian surface (arround 10:00am) if anyone's interested.

WRT to the residential schools think 'knocking shop' especially where the social science courses are held
Old 19 December 2003, 08:44 AM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

I believe the Brunell distance learning requires you only to attend for exams. They provide all the course texts too if you wish - for a fee of course!
Old 19 December 2003, 09:18 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Woohoo! Just checked my results today - I passed