Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ski binding settings??

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2003, 08:53 PM
Barney 6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just bought some skis, how do you know which number setting to adjust Salomon bindings to?

I know it's all to do with your weight and experience - I am 13 stone and a good skier, anybody know which number is best??

Cheers
Old 12 December 2003, 09:59 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Barney,

Did you get the manufacturers instructions with the bindings? They should tell you what you have to take into account to arrive at the correct setting. At a guess 8 will be about right. But you have take into account your height and the length of the skis, though weight is the biggest factor. Also you have to take into account what you intend to do on the skis. Do you ski a lot of moguls or take a lot of 'big air'? If you do you need to set the bindings a lot higher than the manufacturers recommendations to avoid the bindings pre-releasing. If you ski steeps 40 degrees plus you do not want the bindings to pre-release. Falling on very steep slopes is not an option. Losing a ski guarantees a fall.

If you are not sure about setting bindings, take them to a ski technician. A service and bindings check shouldn't set you back more than 20 quid.
Old 13 December 2003, 02:34 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

If you don't know the answer, don't even think about doing it yourself (or asking the question/accepting an answer on here)!

When you are being carted off the slope by the blood wagon with a ripped anterior/medial cruciate ligament because you fell and your ski didn't come off because the binding was too tight, or just as bad you had a pre release because it was too loose, you'll be lying there wishing you paid the money to a good ski techie.

There are other factors involved that have to be correct too - such as fitting your boots to the bindings - boot soleplate length has to be set, correct toe/heel piece vertical clearance etc
Old 13 December 2003, 02:36 PM
Barney 6
Scooby Regular

Charles, thanks for the tips. Skis were second hand so no instructions! You're probably right about getting a ski technician to check 'em out...

Old 13 December 2003, 02:39 PM
Barney 6
Scooby Regular

Dave, thanks for the advice - you're right, it's not worth the risk buggering about with them myself!! I think I'll go and find a decent technician...

Old 14 December 2003, 03:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Best way M8 You can then sue him if you knacker your leg LOL
Old 14 December 2003, 07:52 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

medial cruciate ligament
Wow...and here's me only having heard of the anterior and posterior CLs. Is this a new feature for the MY04?
Old 14 December 2003, 09:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There's actually four knee ligaments. The Anterior and Posterior (ACL and PCL) control fore and aft movement, the Medial Collateral and Lateral Collateral (MCL and LCL) control side to side movement.

I've done the MCL skiing a few years back , which is why a) I know about it and b) why i'm adamant you shouldn't mess about with your own bindings (I didn't )
Old 14 December 2003, 11:49 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

I know that Dave, I was being sarcastic. What there isn't, is a medial cruciate.
Old 15 December 2003, 08:46 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah, sorry, didn't notice any hint of sarcasm in your original. Apologies, I wrote it in a hurry, will be more careful next time (note hint of sarcasm )
Old 15 December 2003, 11:09 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Clip one foot in and give it a good kick on the side with the other boot. If your binding releases, it's not too tight. Repeat with other foot.

And remember to do some stretching *before* setting off.
Old 16 December 2003, 01:09 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Careful mate, don't confuse him with too much technical jargon and complex instructions. We can't all be Alberto Tomba, can we?