ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ski binding settings?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/281103-ski-binding-settings.html)

Barney 6 12 December 2003 08:53 PM

Just bought some skis, how do you know which number setting to adjust Salomon bindings to?

I know it's all to do with your weight and experience - I am 13 stone and a good skier, anybody know which number is best??

Cheers :)

CharlesW 12 December 2003 09:59 PM

Barney,

Did you get the manufacturers instructions with the bindings? They should tell you what you have to take into account to arrive at the correct setting. At a guess 8 will be about right. But you have take into account your height and the length of the skis, though weight is the biggest factor. Also you have to take into account what you intend to do on the skis. Do you ski a lot of moguls or take a lot of 'big air'? If you do you need to set the bindings a lot higher than the manufacturers recommendations to avoid the bindings pre-releasing. If you ski steeps 40 degrees plus you do not want the bindings to pre-release. Falling on very steep slopes is not an option. Losing a ski guarantees a fall.

If you are not sure about setting bindings, take them to a ski technician. A service and bindings check shouldn't set you back more than 20 quid.

Dave T-S 13 December 2003 02:34 PM

If you don't know the answer, don't even think about doing it yourself (or asking the question/accepting an answer on here)!

When you are being carted off the slope by the blood wagon with a ripped anterior/medial cruciate ligament because you fell and your ski didn't come off because the binding was too tight, or just as bad you had a pre release because it was too loose, you'll be lying there wishing you paid the money to a good ski techie.

There are other factors involved that have to be correct too - such as fitting your boots to the bindings - boot soleplate length has to be set, correct toe/heel piece vertical clearance etc :)

Barney 6 13 December 2003 02:36 PM

Charles, thanks for the tips. Skis were second hand so no instructions! You're probably right about getting a ski technician to check 'em out...

:)

Barney 6 13 December 2003 02:39 PM

Dave, thanks for the advice - you're right, it's not worth the risk buggering about with them myself!! I think I'll go and find a decent technician...

:)

Dave T-S 14 December 2003 03:56 PM

Best way M8 :) You can then sue him if you knacker your leg LOL :D

Carter 14 December 2003 07:52 PM

medial cruciate ligament
Wow...and here's me only having heard of the anterior and posterior CLs. Is this a new feature for the MY04?

Dave T-S 14 December 2003 09:07 PM

There's actually four knee ligaments. The Anterior and Posterior (ACL and PCL) control fore and aft movement, the Medial Collateral and Lateral Collateral (MCL and LCL) control side to side movement.

I've done the MCL skiing a few years back , which is why a) I know about it and b) why i'm adamant you shouldn't mess about with your own bindings (I didn't ;) ) :)

Carter 14 December 2003 11:49 PM

I know that Dave, I was being sarcastic. What there isn't, is a medial cruciate.

Dave T-S 15 December 2003 08:46 AM

Ah, sorry, didn't notice any hint of sarcasm in your original. Apologies, I wrote it in a hurry, will be more careful next time ;) (note hint of sarcasm ;);) )

Kevin Greeley 15 December 2003 11:09 PM

Clip one foot in and give it a good kick on the side with the other boot. If your binding releases, it's not too tight. Repeat with other foot.

And remember to do some stretching *before* setting off.

Carter 16 December 2003 01:09 AM

Careful mate, don't confuse him with too much technical jargon and complex instructions. We can't all be Alberto Tomba, can we?