Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

M6 Toll Road

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 04:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, what are your thought's on this then?

How long do people think until we see other such tolls on existing motorways?
Old 08 December 2003, 04:59 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i was against the idea originally but having spent some time driving in france i have changed my mind. i would much rather spend £2 on a toll than spend 3 hours in the permanenlty conjested environs of spagetti junction.
Old 08 December 2003, 05:05 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The bit I don't like is the M6 south of Birmingham which is the only bit I've seen routes directly onto the M6 Toll . You have to leave the normal carriageway to continue on the M6'Free'. This is surely designed to catch out the unwary and stupid, when you really should have to choose to use the M6 Toll, not just by default.
Old 08 December 2003, 05:10 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Is it a private venture(haven't read article)?Would be nice if they could raise the speed limits on non state built roads.
Old 08 December 2003, 05:10 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Angry

You pay road tax, tax on fuel, scamera tax

THEN you get caught up in traffic jams while they restrict the road during roadworks and then you have to pay to use it

havent got anything strong enough that wont be blotted out

so up yours Blair
Old 08 December 2003, 05:34 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
As long as the "free" (bearing in mind we all pay through the nose for them)motorways continue then I see no problem in having a choice.
However is it naieve to suggest that the amount of taxes already extorted from the UK motorist can easily provide these extra roads, without the need for toll charges?
Old 08 December 2003, 06:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down

Well, as a Midlander. I have hated the idea of a toll road on principle alone. In the way and extent to which the road network is funded - it should never be needed.

Obviously, reality dictated that the governement was never going to fund a new motorway, so a privately owned road is a clever solution.

But now the road has approached completion and the prices have been announced...I am appalled at the pricing. Overseas, toll roads charge relatively little amounts, around 20-50p for a car, which I'd accept. But £2 for a car (and more for trucks) is stupid and blatant greed - especially in a country where taxation is massively excessive. It's almost as if these poeple in charge think the public regards it as a "small" amount and "only" £2. It's that attitude taken by large corperations which causes everything in this country to be so over-priced [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I for one have lived with the M6, Spag Junction, and the M5-M6 interchange (the worst bit IMO). Through many years of built uup knowledge of typical traffic conditions at certain times of day/week on these roads, I learnt the best routes to avoid it all with a fair amount of ease.

So, I won't be needing, or using this toll road. I'll just leave the poeple who have too much money, to use the road - and take some traffic off the routes I want to use

Unfortunately, if this road is a success, then it's pretty obvious the governemnt will be extremely quick to jump on board and start "taxing" us even more on motoring
Old 08 December 2003, 07:00 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Through many years of built uup knowledge of typical traffic conditions at certain times of day/week on these roads, I learnt the best routes to avoid it all with a fair amount of ease.

So, I won't be needing, or using this toll road. I'll just leave the people who have too much money, to use the road - and take some traffic off the routes I want to use
Well said that man. Who needs it, I’ll get on just fine without it.
Old 08 December 2003, 07:04 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

£2 doesn't seem too bad to me. i don't remember any sections of the peage costing less than a few quid. AFAICR it costs about £60 odd to get from Calais to Provence.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 12/8/2003 7:04:55 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 07:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Brilliant idea!!

I would place tolls on ALL motorways - and make it something sensible, like £20.

That would get rid of the Riff-Raff and leave the roads to me

In fact, at this moment I am writing out a standing order to pay for it up front ..... I may never use it but at least I will book my 20 x 6 foot of moving tarmac!!

Pete
Old 08 December 2003, 07:13 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

The operator claims the M6 Toll will save motorists approximately 45 minutes on an average journey time by avoiding the heavily-congested section of the M6 north of Birmingham.
If loads of people jump on the new toll road, journey times on the (now less congested) old M6 will be reduced anyway.

It will not be much use to me anyway, as most of the time i'm heading south, i'm off down the M5.

Personnaly i don't have a problem with low-cost toll roads, but over here (used loads on holiday in the USA, where fuel is cheaper), however, we pay enough tax as motorists, that it really shouldn't be necessary to take more off us.

John
Old 08 December 2003, 07:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

If you don't thinks it's "THAT" expensive then...

Compare the rates here to what they are in some parts of the US: http://www.thetollroads.com/home/maps.htm#foothill

Just a little over half the price of what is going to be charged back here (trucks included).

And don't forget the regular users, so say, if I used the road to get to and from work, well that's £4 a day. 5 times a week, etc. It mounts up - almost £900 a year just for work use alone!! So, now you know why I won't be using that road

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/8/2003 7:36:26 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 07:56 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Any charge for motorbikes? Have not seen any charges for bikers yet.
Old 08 December 2003, 09:23 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Any charge for motorbikes? Have not seen any charges for bikers yet.
I think i saw something in one of the bike mags saying that bikers will be charged; they were having a bit of a bitch that they didn't see why, as red ken doesn't charge bikes to go into london.

John.
Old 08 December 2003, 09:29 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Err remember the price of 2 quid everyone is bandying about is the reduced price introductory toll, the regular charge is going to be 3 quid for cars, and yes they are charging motorcycles, 1 pound initally during the peak period, 50p off peak.
Old 09 December 2003, 10:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

£2 = enough petrol for 10-12 miles for a scoob, or about 18 miles for an economical euro-box.....

Think I'd rather crawl along at 20mph thanks Or just go my usual "duck 'n dive" route
Old 09 December 2003, 10:33 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I would place tolls on ALL motorways - and make it something sensible, like £20.

That would get rid of the Riff-Raff and leave the roads to me
Good plan. I'd love to drive on roads that were bereft of all those tatooed, shaven-headed **** in their "classic" Subarus. I've noticed there are a lot of senile old farts driving them too, these days
TBH, it's mostly why I got out.
Old 09 December 2003, 10:53 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

The thing that puzzled me on the news was they said that when the 90 million had been recouped the charge would go UP?? to £3, how the hell do they justify that?
Old 09 December 2003, 11:20 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Having travelled a fair amount on the toll roads in mainland Europe, I have to say they've been very good - especially through Spain (they are certainly more than 20p-50p though!! More like £40 - £60 if my memory serves me right for the complete journey).

Given the hell that the M6 is through Birmingham, anything that increases the flow of traffic has got to be a good thing. I would happily pay it.

Like it or not, toll roads are the future - I don't see an alternative to be honest. Car numbers continue to increase, there isn't a viable public transport alternative and we are a very small island. There comes a point when the only way to regulate people will be for them to pay fees to use certain roads. Can't say as a tax payer that the thought fills me with joy, but I do think it is inevitable.

Chris
Old 09 December 2003, 11:32 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Having travelled a fair amount on the toll roads in mainland Europe, I have to say they've been very good - especially through Spain (they are certainly more than 20p-50p though!! More like £40 - £60 if my memory serves me right for the complete journey).
Does anyone know what if any road tax the european countries mentioned pay? They maybe only pay more because they are not taxed as highly to start with?

Ps, wonder how long it will be before the toll protesters challenge the legalities of the toll after the build cost is recouped like the Skye Bridge?
Old 10 December 2003, 12:57 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Tolls on Japan's expressway system are pretty steep. 200-250 km will cost you about 4500 Yen, that more than 20 quid. The 2 quid for the M6 Toll Road sounds good value in comparison

REMEMBER: It's 2 quid for the first 2(?) million cars and then the price goes up to the usual price of 3 quid.
Old 10 December 2003, 08:46 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Does anyone know what if any road tax the european countries mentioned pay?"

In France its a hell of a lot less than the UK, Spain the same as is Portugal. As well as this they pay far less fuel duty- ie 60pltr max for 98 Ron SUL from a Shell garage.
The toll roads in Spain+ France are fairly pricey but you have to remember the distances involved are pretty huge. I recently drove to Portugal from Southern France which is approx 800 miles- it cost me about €50 in tolls and on the way back when I wasn't in a hurry €6-still using 2 lane highways with no traffic on them, the alternative in Europe is often as good as the toll road.
Rip off UK- again.
Old 10 December 2003, 10:57 AM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

The reduced rate is for the first 10 million customers.

I for one will try it. I have to try to get down to Bucks from Staffs on a Friday night. The Friday night journey can take 3 hours, whereas it is only a 1 1/2 hour journey. If I can pay £2 to save myself 1 1/2 hours of drinking time, I will!

Also, I do not think the reduced rate is until they recoup their money (they would need more than 10million customers for that)... I think it is just to get people to try it.