Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grassing Someone Up.

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2003, 12:39 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So then.
Would you? Have you? considered it? There seems to be a real split on this, not just on Scoobynet but on a general social level as well.

Is it a case of people who vehemently decry 'grassers' have something to hide themselves? So have created a kind of honour code, an 'Omerta' to help support and sustain their own wrong doings?

Take a victim of crime, who has had some offence perpetrated on them. Not only under this 'code' are they being asked to accept whats happened to them,whats being done too them, but they are actually being told to support it by not reporting it to an authority who could offer support and redress with the perpetrator.

This could also apply in a general sense, ie reporting a drink driver.

Why is the fear of the consequences of "grassing someone up" so much worse than the actual event?

Why is it so 'right' to have someone commit a crime and not suffer any consequences?

I just can't contact the logic of it all and would love a lucid explanation of it.
Old 06 December 2003, 12:45 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

many groups in society basically do not like or trust the police. to these people, "grassing" someone to the old bill is worse than the majority of crimes. they would sooner "sort out" the pereptrator of a crime themselves than get the police involved.

just depends who you are and where you come from i suppose. i used to work with a couple of guys who were lifelong aquaintances. one happened to be in the other's house when a domestic got going and witnessed the guy hitting his wife. the wife hitter got quite badly hospitalised as a result, but neither would have thought about going to the police.
Old 06 December 2003, 01:25 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I cant understand it either, take phil in eastenders. Why does he not take Den down with him ??

Just cant understand it myself !
Old 06 December 2003, 01:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I cant understand it either, take phil in eastenders. Why does he not take Den down with him ??

Because the script does not require him to and it just draws out another tired uninteresting story line.

IMHO it is a personal judgement call in each case, there is breaking the law and breaking the law.

If i saw someone going 40 in a 30 on a straight road, nothing in sight no one else about (except me) then no problem, if i saw someon driving like a loon outside a school i would call the Police in a shot. Both are breaking the law - one is a danger to themselves and others and needs to be stopped.

It does get more complicated than that i know and hard to draw a line.
Old 06 December 2003, 02:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i would not "grass" anybody, its just not my style
Old 06 December 2003, 02:30 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

StickyMicky, if you knew the identity of someone who had sexually abused/raped/murdered an innocent, your conscience would still allow him to escape punishment?
Old 06 December 2003, 02:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

i would not "grass" anybody, its just not my style

This is exactly the dilema as Taff says, It is not my style to let Child abusers, rapists or murderers off either, a judgement call in each case.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 12/6/2003 4:22:37 PM]