Get off that mobile!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 10:22 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Carter,
my advice to you is read up on it quick m8, the ear pc that u plug into the btm of the phone is ILLEGAL, YOU CANNOT USE IT, if u think im wrong go ask a copper
The reason is cos you cannot fit the phone into a cradle when this HANDS FREE device is attached, therfore it makes it illegal to use.

[Edited by Dazza01 - 12/1/2003 10:24:35 AM]
Old 30 November 2003, 08:39 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Hope you've all got your handsfree kit, it's illegal to touch the monkies as of midnight tonight unless they're mounted on a handsfree kit on dash.

Not alowed to touch the buttons, even in your lap with hands free, only if it's mounted.

Personally about fricking time, most of the near misses I have had lately have been prats driving talking on their mobiles.

Although, really they should also ban girls from wearing short skirts, or showing their clevage near roads as well, as I find that is the most dangerous thing for me, staring out my window, then looking around and seeing not only have the lights changed but there is a stationary artic truck a cars lenght infront - yikes lol!

Carphone warehouse do a fairly cheap one for about £40 that you can plug into the cig lighter, has hands free etc, speaker and mic built in..Proper integrated ones can cost a bit.

Porsches have nice inbuilt systems, you just get a clone of your sim, and it has a little tray you can put it in, in the dash, then it's integrated through the ice, talk activated - nice!
Old 30 November 2003, 10:20 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

The whole thing is flawed. It isn't the process of pushing the buttons or holding the phone that causes accidents. It is the lack of concentration on your driving while holding a conversation on a mobile (hands free or not) that causes accidents.

Dumb.

Old 30 November 2003, 10:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Plus I would like to see an officer stop me and say "Excuse me sir, is that a mobile in your lap?".

Steve.
Old 30 November 2003, 10:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

"Although, really they should also ban girls from wearing short skirts, or showing their clevage near roads as well"

That pretty much sums it all up. The government, yet again, is banning something that can conveniently be measured (i.e. using a non-mounted phone without a hand-free kit), rather than the things that actually cause accidents.

Smoking whilst driving is perfectly safe, 'cos they can't detect it - er, NOT!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mb
Old 30 November 2003, 10:44 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Id still answer mine if I was driving, not likely your gunna get caught is it.

cha0s
Old 30 November 2003, 10:47 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

The whole thing is flawed. It isn't the process of pushing the buttons or holding the phone that causes accidents. It is the lack of concentration on your driving while holding a conversation on a mobile (hands free or not) that causes accidents.
So if they were to ban mobile conversations completely whilst driving, how would they prove i was on my Hands Free kit, and not just singing along to the Spice Girls
Old 30 November 2003, 10:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Exclamation

Oh yeah...if you pull up and stop the car to talk on the mobile...TURN OFF THE ENGINE!! as you can still be done for it.

Mind the presence of plod round here is non-existant these days, so I'd doubt nothing'll change
Old 30 November 2003, 11:01 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Not alowed to touch the buttons, even in your lap with hands free, only if it's mounted.
That's not true. You're not allowed to hold it, that's all; hand, ear to shoulder, whatever. There was a big feature in the ST today about how most police forces and mobile phone retailers don't know the details when asked.
Old 30 November 2003, 11:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Can't wait for all the ***** to start posting on here in the coming weeks - I can see it now!

It's NOT fair, I got done while on my mobile - I didn't see the coppas as I was watching for the speed cameras because I was doing 50 in a 30 ................ AND they did me for speeding!! Its NOT fair, I deserve better, I blame New Labour, I am not a criminal, I am a decent tax payer, blah, blah, bloody blah, blah oh, yes ..... I am a **** aren't I? As I KNEW the rules and ignored them, then complain.

I am waiting boys and girls who will get nabbed for £30 - get those phones OFF!!!

Pete
Old 30 November 2003, 11:05 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Pslewis

your a 1st class W

well done

cha0s
Old 30 November 2003, 11:08 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I still have to look at my Video phone whilst driving, There's no law about that is there
Old 30 November 2003, 11:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Chaos - its to55ers like you who will be here moaning and whining and crying that you've been done

and I will LAUGH MY SOCKS OFF!!!!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 11/30/2003 11:11:54 PM]
Old 30 November 2003, 11:13 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Chaos - Nice anchor
Old 30 November 2003, 11:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Dr_ming ....... you must be a sailor boy then? Like Gold Wheels do we??

Pete
Old 30 November 2003, 11:19 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

As it happens: no, on both counts. But I know a nice anchor when I see one.
Old 30 November 2003, 11:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

You're still in the closet then??

Thats ok I won't tell anyone!

Chaos likes his anchors - he's a sweet little sailor boy see??

But don't go shouting it out all over!!

Pete
Old 30 November 2003, 11:24 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

On the bog, actually......
Old 30 November 2003, 11:25 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Absolutely, and if you want some ****, emails in my profile.

cha0s
Old 30 November 2003, 11:26 PM
ed_the_duck
Scooby Regular

if its the lack of concentration from the talking on the fone (whether on hands free or not) then talking to anyone in the car has the same affect!

me thinks they getting a hard time from speed cameras so looking for another money spinner!!
fair enough if you got it in your hand or pressing buttons etc, that is logical, but talking whether on handsfree or not is a bit ott me thinks!

ed (who aint got a car)
Old 30 November 2003, 11:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

chaos - erm, no thanks sweetie - I'll stick with the women .... YOU go and offer your **** to one of your Sailor buddies

Thats a good chap!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 11/30/2003 11:33:56 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 09:38 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

IT WILL BE ILLEGAL TO HOLD A MOBILE FONE IN THE CAR WHETHER IT'S MOVING OR STOPPED IF U R THE DRIVER

You CANNOT use those ear peice things that u shove in ur tab and then plug into the btm of the phone which comes free with the mobile on purchase, u can however use blue tooth but the handset MUST be secured in a cradle.

Oh and takes the CORNERwell cos i have a car kit fitted
Old 01 December 2003, 10:05 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

if its the lack of concentration from the talking on the fone (whether on hands free or not) then talking to anyone in the car has the same affect!
No it doesn't. Passengers in the car can see when you're coming to a junction, about to overtake or hit a tailback, and the conversation pauses accordingly - people on the other end of the phone don't. The irony is that all the work done so far shows no difference in lack of attention between a hand-held/free phone, but they've decided to make a distinction anyway.

Dazza - you can use any hands-free set as long as you are not holding or controlling the phone itself. You can use a wire or wireless set, press buttons on the phone to make or receive calls - it's all a little pointless really.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:10 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What really annoys me is that you can't even pull over and park to make a call. That is the sensible thing to do, so why is that banned too?

Old 01 December 2003, 10:14 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Erm yes you can do that too. Just switch off the ignition.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:51 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Q2. Is hands-free phone equipment allowed?

Provided that a phone can be operated without holding it, then hands-free equipment is not prohibited by the new regulation.

And pushing buttons on a phone while it is in a cradle or on the steering wheel or handlebars of a motorbike for example is not covered by the new offence, provided you don't hold the phone.
Want to bet?
Old 01 December 2003, 11:27 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Pete Lewis you are one of a kind, fully agree with everything you said in your first post. Instead of people posting their NIP for speeding and asking how to get out of it there will be NIPs for using the phone how do I get out of it

Get a car kit they ain't that expensive and are dead easy to install if you have at least half a brain cell.

Old 01 December 2003, 11:50 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Passengers in the car can see when you're coming to a junction, about to overtake or hit a tailback, and the conversation pauses accordingly
Kids in the car don't though!

The govt. should run a TV campaign so people know what they can and can't do.

You CAN use a 'wire from phone to ear' type handsfree! You aren't allowed to hold the handset though. Need to have auto-answer or voice activation to use it though - need clarification on this 'touching/not touching buttons' issue though.

Not sure how they're gonna police this though. Rarely see coppers on the roads these days since the speed scameras came into force.
Old 01 December 2003, 11:59 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

There has been a patronising advert campaign on TV where you have two voices talking simultaneously telling you that you are unable to concentrate on two things at once.... a sweeping statement! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Get off that mobile!!!!!!!!