Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVLA / Dealer Cock Up

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 01:46 PM
Andrewj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My partner bought a nearly new Mazda 323 about a month ago. The tax runs out at the end of the month, and she hasn't yet had the Registration Document.

The Dealer reckons that he filled it in, sent it away, and gave her the green part.

She hasn't got the green part, and DVLA aren't dealing with a change of ownership on this car. They normally turn them round in 2-3 weeks max apparently.

Clearly, she cant drive the car from Monday, as it'll have no tax. The Dealer suggest applying for a duplicate Registration Document, but DVLA have confirmed to me that this would have to be issued in the name of the previous owner, and then a Change of Ownership submitted. We don't have time for that.

Personally, I think that the Dealer should lend her a car in the meantime, but they are probably not obliged to.

Any views or suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 26 November 2003, 01:58 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

I maybe mistaken but I thought it was the buyers responsability to get the tear off slip from the bottom of the V5.
If you have that there's a form you fill out at the post office which allows you to tax the car without the full v5 document.

Chris
Old 26 November 2003, 03:01 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Clearly, she cant drive the car from Monday, as it'll have no tax. The Dealer suggest applying for a duplicate Registration Document, but DVLA have confirmed to me that this would have to be issued in the name of the previous owner, and then a Change of Ownership submitted. We don't have time for that.
One word. Bollocks. They have miss-informed you.

You get the bottom slip but it is the sellers responsibility to fill in and send the form to the DVLA.

I bought a car several months ago. I offered to send the form for the seller. I had proof of posting the V5 but the DVLA never recieved it. Postal strikes happening at the time also. Lost two registered letters during the last one. Grrrrrr.

There is a document on the net, DVLA site, to download and fill in. I believe it is a V62. States a change of ownership. You send it to them with the change date. They contact the previous seller to prove the car is sold and you get the V% in your name. Takes about 4-6 weeks though (depends on the sellers response).

Here's where you'll have a problem. Sounds like the garage never filled in the form as them being the owner between owners to keep the ownership total down. This is dodgy. Also means they may not be properly registered.

This means the person they got it off will get the form from the DVLA. Hopefully they live at the same address the car was registered to for them. They will not know who you are yet are required to put your name and address on their comfirmation of sale letter. They will not have this information. Make sure the garage does if it is them.
Old 26 November 2003, 03:16 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Smile

Here are all the forms.

Clicky Link.

It is the V62 you have to fill out. Worked for me. Just takes time that's all.

[Edited by dosenöffner - 11/26/2003 3:18:00 PM]
Old 26 November 2003, 03:32 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

I maybe mistaken but I thought it was the buyers responsability to get the tear off slip from the bottom of the V5.
If you have that there's a form you fill out at the post office which allows you to tax the car without the full v5 document.
That's before the law change mid this year. Now you need the reminder or V5 in full. Otherwise you are out of luck.

It is about a £1,500 fine not to notify of change of ownership.

Hope your misses doesn't have a back log of speeding tickets they have not been able to issue yet.

Merry Christmas.
Old 26 November 2003, 05:00 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Had the same thing recently, Bought a car and two months later no logbook. Got a bit worried, went to the dealership (already had problems with the lying b@stards but that is another story) and they said they had sent it away and to wait another 6 weeks. 6 weeks went by and nothing, couldn't face being fobbed off by the dealer again so I emailed the DVLA. Came back that they had not received any change of ownership documents for my car. They suggested I filled in the V62 and 4 weeks later I had my logbook.

It works but it will take a while.
Old 26 November 2003, 08:41 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

A girl at work had this, the dealer had "forgot" to register her corsa in her name.
They eventually agreed to give her a courtesy-car until the documents came through which took about 3 or 4 weeks I think.
Old 26 November 2003, 09:02 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

i had that problem myself,dodgy dealer who thought i was ripping him off said he forgot to send the form away every time i phoned him.had to fill in a form and whalla 3 month later logbook finnaly arrived.
shell just have to drive your scooby.haha
Old 27 November 2003, 04:05 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

The dealer who bought my car off me in part-ex for my first Scoob had some problem like this and the new owner must have applied for a new Reg Doc as I got a letter from the DVLA asking me to check if everything was ok and if I minded a new doc being sent out!

I never got it or heard from the dealer, so all must have gone well.
Old 27 November 2003, 05:11 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's a dealer scam to keep the number of owners down. When they've not had them signed they just let them disappear.