Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Leave it all for foreign lands ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 01:18 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 18 months ago myself and about 75% of the company that I worked for were made redundant due to the company going into voluntary receivership.
Some of us (me inc) were then invited back about 10 days later when a new company came along and bought up the old one. We all lost length of service stuff etc but felt pretty happy to have any job.

Now this new company (a huge American based corp) has decided that our area is not profit making (our little bit is but the Euro div. as a whole is not) so they're laying off people. My dept is safe but I don't feel I've got much job security as in 2,3,4,x months time having not cut enough of the costs there could be another round of redundancies and this threat is hanging over all of us.

Since my redundancy of 18 months ago we (me and now non-working wife) have added a daughter to our family so although we've some savings I don't want to be hunting for work for months on end - I'd also love to get out of this area of work (IT Support) as I don't find it interests me to any great degree. Unfortunately this is the only area I've ever had full-time work in, other areas have been motorsport writing/photography but I can't see that area of work being one that could sustain a family of 3 !

Question - My wife and I both love the 'idea' of moving to France or Italy and with our daughter still at a young age it would be easiest to do in the next year or 2 as opposed to when she's at school.
Has anyone else jumped ship and moved abroad, Europe especially ?
Any tips ?
What's the best route to getting yourself setup, as in many job areas you've even less chance of getting a job abroad as back home since you're less attractive to employers due to language difficulties etc ?
Old 26 November 2003, 07:10 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Havent done it yet but hoping to within the next 3-5 years once we have sufficient savings / revenue streams to be able to do it. We're looking at Oz or France/Spain/Italy. Am frantically learning how to be a plumber as that helps no end on an emigration application (especially Oz).

You might find that your English alone will be enough to get you a job but I would definitely recommend whichever country you choose you learn the lingo way before you get there.

Cant help on the job front other than getting yourself on with a decent recruitment agency. For what its worth give Sean at jacksonrundle.co.uk a call 0207 841 7475 - say Chris recommended you!

Good luck

[Edited by Scooby96 - 11/26/2003 7:10:49 AM]
Old 26 November 2003, 07:43 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Some freinds of ours did it last year. They were on one of the tv programs about it.

They have 3 kids, 4, 9 and 12 and shipped them all over to Sarlat in the Dordogne region of France.

We saw them a couple of times during the summer. He had at one point been an electrician, so he got all his qualifications converted to the French equivalents and now runs his own business. They have also started a property management company and are making ends meet. They are now all speaking pretty good French and the kids have settled in well at school. Theire house is massive and they have a pool and a good few acres of land. They love it there. The way of life is slower and more relaxed. He sees much more of the family.

I don't think the language is so much of a barrier, it's more having a portable skill that you can use to get work.

Would love to have the ***** to do it myself, maybe if I ever get made redundant!!!

Good luck

Dave

Old 26 November 2003, 08:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

www.livingfrance.co.uk

www.totalfrance.com

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2003, 08:30 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

alcazar - thats spooky cos we've been looking at the following property to buy now and rent out until we're ready to move:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/classified.phpcatid=1&subcatid=6&adid=496
Old 26 November 2003, 08:44 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

hmmmn yes please - **** it I want this place now
Old 26 November 2003, 11:34 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to help but don't think I can. I moved abroad when I was young free and single, mainly by getting a language skill when it was still in demand (Russian in 1993). Knowledge of the "system" has helped me since.

Friend of mine was determined to get out of England in 94 (but again single), already knew fairly good French, qualified as an English as Foreign Language teacher, though the payment for that is not great unless you are taken on by a rich institution (bank, multinational etc). He's now married and living in Brussels.

Your English will be as much of a help as a hindrance (unless you have a Glasweigian accent ), it works both ways, and if you make an effort to learn the local lingo - there are Brits living near me who can barely direct a taxi driver after 6 years, which is feckin embarrassing - you'll be well received. My biggest problem has always been pure frustration in dealing with local bureaucrats, but I guess that applies to economic migrants in the UK too

Just try to keep a 2-bed flat in the UK to return to if you need it, and rent while away. It's a good investment.

Good luck

Old 26 November 2003, 11:37 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

This is what I have my eye on:

Old 27 November 2003, 04:44 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Nice place !

I don't feel that getting by in French or Italian would be a great problem (I can just about manage this when I've been on holiday but it would take a long time to get to be fluent - if I was to compete for a job with a native speaker then I'd obviously be at a disadvantage.
I'd prefer to find something that would not be office based plus I feel this might reduce the necessity for having to speak to French speakers all the time and thus being shown up as a foreigner with crappy language skills

My wife has worked in property sales for a number of years and this might be an area that we could both somehow earn a wage abroad from ?