Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IT Training worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 11:29 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently in a dead end job and have been for the last 7 years!!! When I started 7 years ago I had just left college and never seen inside a PC before.

First few years were ok as I was learning new things, gaining experience etc etc. Now it is just me and my boss (who is a lazy tosser!) so I do all the work and he sits there doing jack ****e, you know the score!

I build/repair/install pc's and also do some networking stuff as well as the normal PC support.

I am thinking about doing some training to get a few qualifications to help me get another/better job. My current pay is crap, between 12-13K (yes I know had enough people asking me what im still doing there but it’s not that easy finding other IT jobs)

Have seen places doing the A+, N+ and MCSA training. Are these worth doing? Or would I just be wasting my time and be better off doing something else.

Any info/advice appreciated, especially from all you "Employers" out there
Old 24 November 2003, 11:45 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

mate I ve done a A+ and nearly at the end on my MCSE training and trust me you learn more doing the job, there are a few sections of my MCSE that I found good, IE 2k pro course and AD design but I never have chance to use most of it ( how oftern do you re design you AD )

I work for the NHS, not great money but good training and I ve moved up from opening PC box's to Senior Desktop Support Officer in 3 years ( had a HND in engineering when I started and no previous experience)

What Im trying to say is move some where with good prospects, if I can do it, any one can its just being in the right place at the right time
Old 25 November 2003, 12:07 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for that.

Yea unfortunately for me I am never in the right place at the right time!

Been for interviews before but most company's don't want to give you any training regardless if it is in house or not, but how am I suppose to get another job if no one will give me the chance! There is always someone with more experience/qualifications than me so who do you think the employer will go for???
Old 25 November 2003, 12:10 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Get your MCSA as after all it can only help! But its not worth paying too much money to get, just get the first 2 books to cover Win2K Pro and Server which you should breeze if you build PC's and have base networking skills then book your exams and take it from there. Once you have your first exam you'll reslise what it takes to pass em and you'll be fine, also once you have a couple you can blag your MCSA anyways just say the exams are booked for the upcoming weeks....remmember to keep your CV updated tho !

Old 25 November 2003, 12:25 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

What kind of money am I looking at for the MCSE/MCSA courses?

Some bloke who came round my house talking to me about training said I should do the A+ & N+ first??? Even though he said I will probably breeze through the A+ and at least half way through the N+ courses?

If I go spending allot of £ on these I would like it to be worth while and not wasting time/money.

Your comments are appreciated

[Edited by stiscooby - 11/25/2003 12:26:46 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 08:58 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Whatever training you eventually decide is best for you, make sure your employer pays for it! Be sure to have a good 'business case' to present to them as to why the course would benefit both the company and you personally.

Good luck

Suresh
Old 25 November 2003, 09:04 AM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

How about becoming a "Microsoft Professional" ?
Old 25 November 2003, 09:10 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Get the Win2K books for Server and Pro and check em out - do praccy exams ripped from the net and when your confident enough book the exam and see what happens!

The course will be a rip off - 7K it cost me plus the travel expenses and munchies plus I was not earningh for 3 months!!

Old 25 November 2003, 09:51 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

I agree with most comments above, get the W2k books and also one or some on WXP2003 server, it does at lot of new tricks compared to W2K Advanced server. Luckily for me, when i got in the game, the company paid for MCSE NT course and MCSEW2K course, cost them a fair bit, course was at Azlan, pretty good IMO.

Been doing this game for just over 4 years now, progressed from Desktop Support up to Infrastructure Senior Network Analyst (currently) Money wise

With the experience you have plus these courses and exams behind you, you should easy be able to add £20k to your salary.

Editing to say " I dont have an MCSE " and i agree with BB below

[Edited by lpski1 - 11/25/2003 2:22:49 PM]
Old 25 November 2003, 01:36 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

the easiest way to get an MCSE is to just type it on your CV

I have done "jack-all" courses...erm.. except for Ms Exchange 5.5 a few years ago, and have been in the industry now for best part of 12 years.

common sense is the best qualification to have, and a bit of luck/people skills thrown into the bargain.

do not become a geek!!!

good luck
BB
Old 25 November 2003, 02:07 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

100% with Beemerboy, I work with serveral mcse's and at the end of the day I became senior because I got on with the job and not talked it never mind what qualifications I had

Saying this, if you are thinking of going contracting, I would advice a MCSE as its a very competitive area of the field, best thing to do is have a look around and try and get in somewhere that train there staff, even if the money isn't as good