Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

rheumatism / arthritis, think Ive got it :-(

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 11:27 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Im only 26, yet my hands are really starting to ache on my knuckles/joints etc. Trouble is my family has a full history of it, Im just a bit gutted I seem to have it so young. Anyone else got it? taking anything to help???

AP
Old 24 November 2003, 11:38 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my hands are always hurting when I come to work, weekend is fine, get in work the second I start typing I feel the fingers/wrist and joints all hurting not even 24 yet

what are long term effect, dont wanna be a cripple in 10 years with hands that dont work
Old 24 November 2003, 11:41 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

thats harsh gettin it at 26? are u sure you have it? been to the docs to get it checked out? it could just be rsi? if u do have it try ya local pharmacy they will have books on how to deal with it etc..
Old 24 November 2003, 12:13 PM
csm007
Scooby Regular

Hi , im sorry to hear you may be suffering from Rheumatiod Arthritis.
There are a lot of web site which give you symptoms and can help you with qustions to ask your doctor.
I have RA and have suffered for 5 years now and im only 32 , i was diagnosed in march this year as in the past 5 yrs i have been told , im too young,its all in my head etc.So if your doctor trys to fob you off dont give up.
I had what was known as Rheumatiod Negative Factor which means that i have RA but it didnt show up in my blood for the first 5 years, Having RNF doesnt mean you dont have RA it just means that its not showing up in your bloods.
Since march i have been on medication that has helped with all aches and pains and flare ups and feel a lot better now but not totaly but a lot better than i have felt for the last 5 yrs.
So hopefully you have a good doctor that will see what the signs are pointing to and if not dont give up.
Tracey (Chris's wife)this is his user id
Old 24 November 2003, 12:17 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

Also a history of it in my family I tend to get painfull hands in the winter (now is the worst time as it's damp and cold) especially in the fingers I've previously dislocated playing basketball! I'm a bit paranoid and havn't been to the doctors yet as it's not at that level of pain where I find it hard to concentrate, more of a dull ache with sparodic sharp pains...but if yours are giving you grief it might be worth checking out.

I've found gloves help alot (last winter I spent most of January in the office with gloves on ) although you do get a few funny looks! Other than that pain killers with anti-inflamatory (Ibroprofen - sp?) properties are good if you're having a bad day

Still - it may be not be that, if it's bothering you, get it checked out - I know how you feel, I was 25 on Saturday and potentially having problems this young is a little concerning!

Jen
Old 24 November 2003, 12:57 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Family history here as well
I've got osteoarthritis in my knees, which I take a product called Human Cortaflex, it might be worth trying that for your problems.

Available from Equine America on 01403 255809, and yes it was originally developed for horses. About £25 for 4-6 weeks supply.
No connection in anyway but I have found it helps.

Cheers
Allan
Old 24 November 2003, 01:08 PM
csm007
Scooby Regular

HI i would watch out for ibroprfen and some other nsaids as they can give you stomach trouble.
I am not sure of fanily history as my mum and nan have oth been dead since i was 12.
Winters cold and damp weather doesnt help, i used to laugh when older people said it was gonna be cold because they could feel it now i know exactly what they meant lol.
Tracey
Old 24 November 2003, 01:54 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

I thougt RA was not hereditary? It won't kill you, but the drugs they pump you with might. My Mum has had it for 20 years and its not nice.

Good luck

TONY
Old 24 November 2003, 02:06 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Make sure it's not just Carpal Tunnel Syndrome you are suffering from, main symptoms are aching fingers.

A very good natural aid for all joint pains is Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablets.

'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'

The median nerve travels from the forearm into your hand through a "tunnel" in your wrist. Wrist bones form the bottom and sides of this tunnel, and a strong band of connective tissue called a ligament covers the top of the tunnel.
This tunnel also contains nine tendons that connect muscles to bones and bend your fingers and thumb. These tendons are covered with a lubricating membrane called synovium, which may enlarge and swell under some circumstances. If the swelling is sufficient it may cause the median nerve to be pressed up against this strong ligament which may result in numbness, tingling in your hand, clumsiness or pain described above.
Old 24 November 2003, 02:10 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Worse in the cold weather??

Try cod liver oil capsules if you're not planning a visit to the doctors just yet.

My parents swear that it works a treat - my dad is a plumber and therefore his hands are his livelihood so give it a go. Failing that I'm sure your GP may have some non-pharmaceutical alternatives to try before going down the medication route.
Old 24 November 2003, 02:11 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Dont worry the trusty NHS will have you in for a Carpal Tunnel Release within 2 years!
Old 24 November 2003, 02:20 PM
sherlocks
Scooby Regular

I also back the Cod Liver oil suggestion. I've started taking it regularly for the first time this year and it seems to help enormously. My other half reckons it's a placebo effect - but I don't care because as long as I think I feel better, then I am!
Old 24 November 2003, 02:34 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

My Aunt has RA - she has it in 22 different points in her body, she was diagnosed with it when she was around 37. In particular the knuckles on her hands swelled up so much that she had trouble closing her hands. She lives in Australia and visits about every 6 - 8 months, when she visted about 2 years ago the joints were very swollen and she was in a lot of pain, at the time she mentioned that she was starting to take glyconutrients (glyco what?). On her next visit the swelling had reduced noticibly and now the swelling has almost gone - she suffers no more.

So what are glyconutrinets? They are the 8 biologically active sugars that our bodies use at a cellular level to ensure proper communication and functioning. It was discovered about a decade ago that these specific sugars, far from being just a form of energy had a biological function and the abscence of them will result in a cellular breakdown - espescially when the body is exposed to toxins/stress etc.

Take a look at http://www.glycoscience.com/glycoscience/start_frames.wm?FILENAME=G002 for more info on the science behind this. The article here is RA specific and a bit complex but the summary at the end is a bit easier to digest - if you want to print it off and take it to your doctor to interpret.

I would definitely reccomend that you take a look at these supplements - if your body does not have the tools to defend itself, it won't! The fact is we no longer receive the nutrition that our bodies need to operate 'optimally' through the food we eat - processing of food, green harvesting of fruits and vegetables, chemicals in our environment etc.

If you want any more information you can mail me offline.

Best of luck

Richard
Old 24 November 2003, 04:22 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Oo, useful post Richard

cod liver oil capsules - I used these a couple of winters ago and stopped in the summer, I thought there was a defiante improvement - I'll have to dig them out again when I get home

bttt for Andy
Old 24 November 2003, 06:09 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Hope it helps

There has been tons of research into this stuff but it doesn't really filter through to doctors yet - perhaps because it doesn't come from a pharmaceutical company. When you start to look at it and try to understand why it works its really simple - our bodies require the right nutrition to operate and without it things will go wrong. The problem is our diet is deficient in the right nutrition, so we need to supplement.

Its like running 2 Japanese spec scoobs on UK fuel - one is on normal unleaded the other on optimax and NF, they will both run 'ok' but only one will run optimally and I can probably guess which one will go wrong first !

My mum sells nutritional products, so I have a bit of a vested interest - but if anyone is interested let me know and I can put you in touch.

Cheers

Richard