Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your View on Speed - Go on Nail it!

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 02:36 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your View on Speed, go on Nail it!

The road safety policy is not working as more people are being fined, I would think this is supporting more speed devices to catch more people.

The simple solution is that we obey the limits, no fines, no revenue to support these devices, but this will never happen why ????????????????????

Now if this is not going to happen, we have a perennial problem, so what do we most object to, as the road safety policy is never going to work.

1. Speed limits

2. Clearer marking of Speed limits zones

3. Speed limits in inappropriate places.

4. Speed limits and Cameras

5. The use of fines from Speed Cameras

6. The insurance loading and points system

Whats your view on putting it all right?

Ajax
Old 23 November 2003, 10:08 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Cool

I suppose that’s one view

Ignore it !
Old 23 November 2003, 10:14 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Build slower cars!

Nath
Old 23 November 2003, 10:39 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, I think that the Government have achieved exactly what they set out to do regarding speed limit enforcement. I think that they should pat each other on the back for a job well done
Old 23 November 2003, 11:55 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

DRUNKNORGY: so you think it's working.
Old 23 November 2003, 11:56 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

47 NAT:
they do its called a standard impreza, with no mods
Old 24 November 2003, 12:01 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

looks like he the punters are happy for once no complaints.
I love Labour Party Policy, it keeps everybody happy

Bet the Conservatives have a better plan??
Old 24 November 2003, 12:06 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

179 views and not on sensible suggestion to make things better, drivers are easy meat, loads of money and don’t give a flying ****

[Edited by Ajax - 11/24/2003 12:11:05 AM]
Old 24 November 2003, 02:17 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

What I'm saying is that they know its a 'problem' which will never be solved, You know that, I know that, and I'm damn sure that they know that also.
Its just another form of Tax which Labour have tapped into. Irrespective of who gets into power next, we will have to live with it, as the political damage has already been taken by Labour, and they are weathering the storm. The other parties are happy to let them take the hit (and slag them off from the back benches) but would still rake in the revenue if they gained power (remember the fuel escalator which the Tories brought in and triggered the protests under Labour ?).
The trick is, if you want to speed, pick your moments carefully and most of all 'be lucky' .

BTW, the Insurance companies are also happy to go along with it, as they get increased premiums (which the governent tax pro rata). They also know that because you occasionally exceed the limit, won't statistically increase your risk of accidents, more than twidling with the radio or picking your nose whilst behind the wheel, but it is a much more measurable quantity

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 11/24/2003 2:25:15 AM]
Old 24 November 2003, 09:38 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

DRUNKNORGY:

I think you are right...................
Old 24 November 2003, 10:18 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think peoples objections come from the fact that speed limits often seem innaproriate for the road. For example, a recently built stretch of dual carriage way with no junctions, raised on an embankment with no footpath and a 40mph limit and regular speed traps.

Only a fool would argue against the majority of roads in built up areas being 30mph (or even 20mph in residential areas), but the rash of recently designed, non-built up roads being allocated 40/50mph limits instead of being national speed limit is ridiculous.

Speed limits are based on cars designed and built 40 years ago. Surely the improvements in car, road, roadside furniture design should allow higher speed limits (where appropriate).
Old 24 November 2003, 10:38 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Tax has never been about being fair, They target the softest targets to extract money out of. Thats why the Pikeys don't pay any. Go and live in a Caravan if you want to evade them

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 11/24/2003 10:42:05 AM]
Old 24 November 2003, 10:44 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

if u dont speed u dont have to pay fines. are u realy always in that much of a hurry to get somewhere u have to speed?? leave a few minutes earlier instead and stop complaining
Old 24 November 2003, 11:11 AM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

The argument against higher limits is not a convincing one, and the tolerance has been lowered to catch more out. The speed camera partnership made a claim this morning that the cameras have reduced accidents by 35%

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 11/24/2003 11:25:30 AM]
Old 24 November 2003, 12:58 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

The argument against higher limits is not a convincing one, and the tolerance has been lowered to catch more out. The speed camera partnership made a claim this morning that the cameras have reduced accidents by 35%
Yeah, within 200 yards each side of the "safety camera sites!" :
Old 24 November 2003, 01:29 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I noticed on Top Gear last night about the stats regarding speed cameras and accident deaths. Not made a bit of difference, but had raised £73 million pounds in revenue!

Also thought the stat of the amount of cameras on the worst roads in Britain was interesting, as was the 7% of accidents attributable to excessive/inappropriate speed, as oppsed to the figures bandied about by the government.

I was surprised at Clarkson egging the british public to effectively break a UK law by hidibg behind an EU one.

Geezer
Old 24 November 2003, 07:42 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Geezer: So what is the policy in the EU regarding speed cameras and speed enforcement, anybody have any idea?

Though that you could not use detectors in France.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hobo_Jojo: A good point, and to add to that if you don’t get lost you will get there quicker, I have been in situations in pursuit of getting round a roundabout fast, I have got off at the wrong exit.

Sat nav has taken hours off my journey times.

NotoriousREV: The voice of reason, you should be road transport minister
You have my vote.

Can we have less speed restriction speed, I find so many of them confusing.

20, 40, 60 & 80 would be handy.

jaf01uk: so what are you advocating, more use of average speed detection like specs?
Old 24 November 2003, 08:02 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

No, not at all, think somethin radical like variable speed limit depending on car/driver ability (i know it would be impossible to police) but a 150mph car is as safe at 100 as a 90mph micra would be at 60 ie.2/3rds, saw Stirling Moss making this argument on a chat show years ago when asked about motorway speed limits, OR a driver who wants to better his skill/experience could sit further competancy tests to entitle him/her a bit more lee way. I know that these ideas would never work but the speed limits and also braking distances in Highway Code are about 30 years old when cars had drum brakes, cross ply tyres and no seatbelts for gods sake! and the practical driving test is a joke, being able to pootle about a test route with no education on night driving, motorways, snow, how to read a corner! 35% of 17 to 21 year olds have an accident in their first year of driving! etc etc
Sorry for the rant, but I teach advanced driving occasionally and it amazes me that some people have a licence at all, and it is these half wits you have to legislate for and protect, not the enthusiast who takes pride in their driving, bit of a bug of mine,
Gary.

Basically what I am saying is proper Education of drivers would cut accident statistics NOT speed camers

[Edited by jaf01uk - 11/24/2003 8:07:49 PM]
Old 24 November 2003, 08:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Here's my view on 'speeding'

Driver education. As mentioned by others, educate drivers better, and at higher speeds. I think there should be part of the practical driving test that takes users on motorways. They do it here, I had to take a driving test and had to drive on ther freeway, to prove i could, very good point here

Speed limits. Around schools and built up areas, fine, no problem 20 - 30 mph, no probs at all. for dangerous roads, a limit should be applied from 30 - NSL.
Dual Carrigeways, would say max of 100 mph. Motorways, no limit.

Now, to explain 100 mph and no limit. This is very good conditions, not when it's pouring with rain or moving as slowly as a snail on drugs. If people are educated properly about speed then I can see no reason why we cannot travel at whatever maximum speed we wish.

I have been to Europe on many occasions and have driven on unrestricted speed limit roads and I have had no problems at all driving at 140 plus, or being passed by faster moving traffic.

Sad thing is, we'll never see an increase in speed limits, or unrestricted speed limits, I think the police and councils know they can generate huge revenue by keeping things the way they are.

Oh and this will cheer you up, the max speed limit here is 100... no, not mph, kph, trust me, you drive here, you won't ever complain about being stuck doing 70mph! trust me! and that is on dry days, when it's wet or there is now, forget it, they are doing 40 - 50 mph on the motorways and it's nice and clear! madness!