Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just saying what I see...

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 08:56 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading other posts regarding BMWs and it got me onto thinking bout something I was thinking on the way to work.

I drove about 20miles on the motorway (M5) and didn't once see a BMW in the inside lane. They were always either in the outside lane (travelling quickly), thats fine.. or blocking up the god damn middle lane when nowt was in the inside, making me have to swing out from lane1 when i caught them, to 3 and then back to lane 1.

Of course, I'm sure it's just that i got wound up by a BMW sitting in lane 2 when i first got on the motorway, and that it was a coincidence that there was never any in lane1. I'm also sure that had I have picked a lot of cars (Mercs etc ) that the same would have rung true...

Andy
Old 20 November 2003, 09:31 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

if I'm on the inside lane & some tw@t in any car in hogging the middle I now no longer bother swerving to the outside lane, I just keep going, hoping that PC plod see me & stops me, that way I can ask why he has not pulled the lane hogger etc etc etc & yes everytime I go past they hoot flash wave different fingers etc.
Old 20 November 2003, 09:34 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Totally with Barge there..... I've given up swerving about. Just can't be @rsed any more and carry on cruising up the inside.
Old 20 November 2003, 09:36 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I often just go up the inside but it keeps my bloody pressure *slightly* lower to go round as them giving me abuse winds me up even more!! ARRRRGGHHH!!!!

Andy
Old 20 November 2003, 09:37 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I best not comment
Old 20 November 2003, 09:41 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I was on the M5 late last night, totally void of any traffic infront or behind me until... I saw 1 set of headlights behind me, far away, in the middle lane. It eventually caught up with me, passed me and carried on into the distance until I couldn't see it anymore, still in the middle lane.
Why?
Old 20 November 2003, 09:49 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Obviously they were turning right in 126.4miles time. What are you stupid?
Old 20 November 2003, 10:25 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

I don't think I'd better comment either?
Old 20 November 2003, 10:41 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Agree with barge and Listy completely.
Anyone who uses the M25 on a daily basis gets to realise that the inside lane is always quicker that the outside and middle lanes.
I no longer move two lanes to overtake, I stay on the inside and give them a look when I go past instead
Old 20 November 2003, 10:49 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Andrew, I have no problem with them doing that, they aren't casuing an obstruction so let them get on with it. Different feeling if I catch them up though....
Old 20 November 2003, 11:13 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Talking

See the previous thread about 'hog-lapping'. (Sorry, don't know how to do a link).

Believe me this removes all frustration towards middle lane hoggers.

The best I have managed is 4 circuits.

Blobster
Old 20 November 2003, 11:14 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Must admit, I'm an under-taker aswell. I always check the hard shoulder is free though before doing it.
Sods law dictates that someone who has been in the middle lane for 234.8 miles will pull into the inside lane the second you start to undertake
Old 20 November 2003, 11:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Yep with Barge et al on this one too.

I was on the M42 the other night just after rush hour and there was still a moderate amount of traffic..average speed about 60-65mph

Everyone is in the fast/middle lanes...left lane is empty, So I stick in it and probably undertook more than 30 cars. All nose to bumper, brake testing and the usual caterpillar effect(80, then 50 then 80 then 50 etc.) and I just past them all whilst driving at a constant 60mph

Shows the average amount of common sense and initiative that the average driver possesses these days

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/20/2003 11:25:34 AM]
Old 20 November 2003, 11:32 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Many people argue that if you under-take someone, they could pull in on you.
Firstly - the sort of driver that would deliberately pull in on you when undertaking is probable the same driver that would pull to the outside lane if you were overtaking them too!
Secondly - To not undertake (or overtake) i.e. to slow down would enhance the problem of congestion and not in the the highway code spirit of 'makeing good progress'.

At least when undertaking and the worst happens, you can swerve onto the hard shoulder! Not many places to go when overtaking and someone pulls into you!

Bascially I will try to overtake 'correctly' but I too get bored with having to go from lane one to lane three and back again just because some numptie doesn't know how to drive. Then I just carry on on the inside lane with a watchful eye out for someone who may cut in (never happens though does it!!)