Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Portrait tips from you shutter jockeys out there!

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2003, 01:35 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aim, look in viewing panel, press button. Return to looking in viewing panel, if you like what you see :SAVE:, if you dont :.DELETE:. And repeat until bored.

Sorry, but that is all my knowlage, now passed on to you.

Later Yoza

[Edited by yoza - 11/8/2003 1:37:18 PM]
Old 08 November 2003, 01:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I know there are a few camera monkeys out here & I need to take a few shots of my 7 week old daughter Any tips appreciated… So so far -

I bought some TV type tungsten lamps from work (3 x 300w) and I’ve put some ‘spun’ on them (you know like a filter to soften the light up a bit). I’ve also got a Canon SLR with 200ASA 35mm & a fancy flash – and me digi cam will be rattling away too. Missus has sorted the background out and velveted up a cushion with a dodgy old Versace shirt of mine that I'll never get into again (should look lovely with re-gurgitated milk on it too)
So, should I just stick the SLR on full auto, flash on, step back and zoom in with focus on eyes and pop away? Need to avoid (as much as poss) casting shadows with the lights (one either side of subject and one giving the background some highlighting) of course.

Question (from Digi test shots) how will the 35mm film cope with the different colour temp of the lamps and the flash…? It confuses the Digi and I get an orange baby (which is easily fixed on PC)…

Cheer snappers! D
Old 08 November 2003, 01:34 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

i'm no expert but why use both the lamps and the flash? I take picture of my family with flash and rizlas olver the flash,and even facing upwards,works a treat to diffuse the harshness of the light,and when i want a decent pic and can be bothered i make the subject hold a reflector facing upwards towards their face.Better to keep it simple ulnless you really know what you are doing,i don't though

aperture priority to control dof works for me

i wont say anthing else because there are some extremely knowledgable chaps in here,and i am also interested to here what they say about the lamps

Old 08 November 2003, 04:51 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yoza - stick to watches M8 as there is no 'delete' option on the pukka 35mm shots

Re Flash - thought it would punch in some light to make it floodlit-no-shadows-perfect You can never have enough lamps!
Old 08 November 2003, 06:22 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

Hi Diesel

The Camera and film (or DigiCam and it's CCD), won't cope with the different colour temps of flash and tungsten lighting. Don't mix light sources, unless you're looking for a particular effect. Whether you're shooting conventionally or digitally, at some point you need to decide on the dominant light source, and balance for it.

I know it's the wrong time of year, but in the early stages of photography, most tend to get their best baby/portrait shots outside. It can be hard enough getting the subject to "behave" anyway, without having to worry about lighting set ups and so on. Maybe take a few shots of your daughter in the park with your Wife? Stick on a medium tele lens (70-100mm on a 35mm camera), and fill the frame with both their faces.

You'll probably find with your lamps, they don't give you enough light anyway. Tungsten's great at covering medium sized areas, but the light thrown out's never very strong. You could be looking at wide apertures and low shutter speeds. Not ideal when trying to get a baby to look natural - and to stay still.

dba's idea to bounce the flash's a good one. Try taking it off camera, with a decent length synch lead (if you can). Move it to the side and above slightly to get decent modelling. On camera flash is awful... Remember Red Eye too. Add a few reflectors (newspaper is useful at a pinch), but make sure it's light and white, or you'll be back to hassle with colour casts again.

You could also try using window light. North facing gives nice, soft, flattering light. Again, use a reflector to bounce light back into shadow areas. Above all, try to keep the light soft and flattering. She's your pride and joy, so take the pics she deserves. Besides, if you don't, imagine what the Wife'll say next time you want more camera gear!

It's a big subject to cover in a few lines in a Forum, but I hope it helps.

Good luck and if you need anymore advice, please ask.

Cheers

Mike

PS You could always join a local College course, or even a Camera Club. Most should have decent Studio Flash setups, and be only too happy for students to use them out of class time. Our students do it all the time.
Old 08 November 2003, 06:37 PM
yoza
BANNED

LOL @ DIESEL.

35mm thats one small camera.
Old 08 November 2003, 06:38 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

A Minox maybe?
Old 08 November 2003, 06:48 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert on lighting either - I'm trying to learn - but a few things spring to mind:

- Mixing flash and tungsten lamps is bound to cause problems. Different parts of the image will be illuminated by a different mix of the two colours, so there is no single 'correct' colour balance. Whatever film you use, or whatever white balance you select on your digital camera, you'll see some odd colours in the final image (as you've already discovered).

- softening the light is, as you've discovered, a good idea. With three other lights I don't see why you want a flash as well. Try turning the flash off and taking some shots with your digital camera to check the lighting balance. When you're happy, use a tungsten film and snap away with the SLR. I'd suggest using a fairly fast film - say, ISO 400, since I'd guess your daughter is a moving target and you don't have the benefit of flash to freeze motion.

- alternatively, you could ditch the tungsten lights and use only flash, but you'll want multiple flashes with softboxes which I guess you don't have available. This would give you a brighter light, better control of colour balance and the ability to freeze motion.

- If it doesn't work out, you could always hire a professional for the formal shots and take the candid photos yourself.

- Failing that, a digital SLR is a great way to practise and learn
Old 08 November 2003, 09:43 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

agreed re the film speed,200 seems a bit slow for kids indoors,

the Fuji 800 4th layer thingy is astonishing,can't get much better for family pics taken with a zoom
Old 08 November 2003, 10:41 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

I would suggest you go outdoors. Simply sit your daughter somewhere not directly in sunlight but still light and get your missus to carry a large white card to reflect some light up at your daughter. This generally works quite well and gives a natural look.

In the past I've done this for the missus by having her sit on a bench that is under but quite a way away from a large oak tree. The tree provides diffusion of direct sunlight for a more flattering look and then I usually use a Lastolite reflector to bounce some light up under her face/chin. Keep the apertures large (i.e. small f number) to throw the background out of focus.

Otherwise, your lighting setup sounds OK but the light levels with just tungsten may be a bit low. Sounds advice above about mixing colour temps.

But don't listen to me, I'm no expert.

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 November 2003, 07:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps - much appreciated.

Stage 2 is tonight (as work want their lamps back!)

I'll ditch the flash as there is actually plenty of light from the 3 x 300w pointing towards the dining table! Baby's virtually blinded by them

Later I'll try the outdoor suggestions - can borrow a Lastolite too

Cheers

If they are any good I'll post one up!

Old 28 November 2003, 07:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well, here are the results (albeit the server resizes them to 250k from about 900Kb)

It's not brilliant but quality was excellent using 35mm transferred to a pic disk. This way I get a file and a print for a tenner.

I learnt stuff like dont shoot up her nose & make sure the background is HUGE to avoid 'shooting off'. Lighting worked OK & she beamed so it was worth it! Thanks for yer help here & sorry for the next pic

I mean that 'sorry'...

Truly I am very SORRY...

Woof...

[Edited by Diesel - 11/28/2003 7:33:55 PM] where's the sledgehammer!!!

[Edited by Diesel - 11/28/2003 7:47:38 PM]

[Edited by Diesel - 11/28/2003 7:49:57 PM]
Old 28 November 2003, 07:36 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

THAT UPLOADER IS PANTS!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about ruining AN ARTISTS WORK!!!!!! :O
Old 28 November 2003, 10:35 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Man, you were doing so well. Right up to the point where you posted that last picture.

You were saying sorry, and you said it several times. You knew it was wrong but you went ahead anyway.

Do you not have any shame ?

Nice shots.

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 November 2003, 03:07 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It was only to end the roll