Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New mobile phone - copying address books

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2003, 10:01 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just got a new mobile phone (Sharp GX20). The old phone (Nokia 8310) is stocked to the brim with phone numbers. Apart from using the PC connection (USB data cable and Outlook synchronisation), can I send the entire address book across the infrared link?

I don't want to mess around with sending numbers one-by-one. Is there any way to send the whole lot across?

Also, when I trade-in the old handset I want to erase all memories etc. Rather than deleting numbers one-by-one, how can I perform a hard reset on the handset? I think there's a particular key sequence to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 04 November 2003, 10:53 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Copy all of your data in your existing phone book to the sim card, remove and put in the new phone, now copy all data from sim to the new phones memory, now if your new phone has a new clear sim you can wack that in and copy from phone memory to sim.

Hope that makes sense - worked for me!
Old 04 November 2003, 12:39 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I've not tried that. The old handset is Orange and the new one is Vodafone. Each company's sims are locked to their handsets, aren't they?
Old 04 November 2003, 12:46 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

The handsets are also locked to their respective networks (well, Orange are, at least), but can be easily unlocked. You may also have a problem if Orange have de-activated your old SIM, because it will be locked, and the numbers inaccessible without a dedicated SIM reader.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to get your old (Orange) phone unlocked (shold cost you about a tenner), then stick the Vodafone SIM into it and copy the numbers from the Orange phone to the new SIM, then put the SIM in your new phone and copy from SIM to phone. Depending on how many numbers were in teh phone, and teh capacity of the new SIM, you might have to do it in more than one batch.

On get the phone dealer to do it for you, of course!
Old 04 November 2003, 01:57 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I tried the Orange SIM in the Vodafone handset - and that doesn't work. It's not a problem - I'll just hook it up to the PC at home tonight (Outlook synchronisation). I was just looking for a shortcut to move them handset-to-handset before I got home.

Thanks anyway
Old 04 November 2003, 10:45 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Question

I have just got a GX10i, how do you syncronise this with outlook, do you have a programme thats compatible?
My old sony-erricsson t68i could do it, but a bit dissapointed that my new one cant.
Thanks.
Old 04 November 2003, 11:00 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

LOL - the Outlook synchronisation was a joke! The software used to interface with the GX20 handset is called Handset Manager, and it came with the phone. The theory is that you synchronise Outlook with the Handset Manager contacts database. Then you synchronise the HM dB with the phone itself.

Each time I tried to run the HM/Outlook synchronisation the HM application crashed . Fortunately it's also possible to upload CSV files into the Handset Manager database. I exported my Outlook contacts into a CSV file. Then I edited that file. For example - Outlook stores a contact's name in multiple fields (Christian name, middle name, surname etc). HM stores it into one field, so you need to merge/edit the Outlook data.

The HM import function works fine. If your CSV has field titles, it picks them up and then allows you to map the CSV fields to the phones fields. Once that's done, it's easy to upload to the phone.