Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any experienced Backpackers out there

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 10:59 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Right, I'm sick of the 9-5 job and want some adventure. One of my friends from work is off to South America for 6 weeks and then she's spending 5 months in Chamonix. After our farewell pi$$-up @ the weekend, I can't get the idea of f*cking off for 6-12mths to explore the world out of my head.

Never spent so much time away from home and since my m8's are married with kids, I'll be setting off myself.

Looking to start in South East Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc..). Then possibly down to Australia (have family there, so could get some work if money is short). Then into South America (Chilie, Peru, Boliva, etc..).

Looking for as much real-life experience as possible, especially how much to budget for, what to take, getting around and meeting fellow backpackers.

Depending on budget, I'd be looking to start in Feb/Mar.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 11/3/2003 7:10:00 PM]
Old 11 March 2003, 11:48 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highly recommend getting some books on the areas to be visited such as Lonely Planet guides. Helped me no-end when I was backpacking and travelling and keeps you somewhat prepared before each destination.

Make sure you sort out insurance and health stuff before you go (jabs etc. can take a few weeks to sort out as you have to wait in between injections for certain innoculations for the drugs to work properly).

Be friendly to everyone but trust none of them. You'll meet some great fellow travellers and locals but be aware of those that aren't!

[Edited by Dracoro - 11/3/2003 11:49:38 AM]
Old 11 May 2003, 10:18 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool - I did it 92-93... never looked back.

Gives you massive confidence in yourself, and gives you a view on other cultures not normally seen.

Its dead easy. There are SO many people who do this now, and everybody needs everyone else. You meet people you know for 24Hr and its as if you've known them all your life!

I learnt to scuba dive in Fiji - and it was SOOO fab, i've never experienced anywhere better since - cheap as chips too!

Its cool - just go!

but buy a Lonely planet first!

[Edited by Dr Hu - 11/5/2003 10:22:45 PM]
Old 03 November 2003, 11:33 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

This is such a huge topic that it's difficult to give general info. But as a few pointers - dont pack too much. The backpacking scene is so well developed that there is practically nothing you cannot buy, even in the depths of S America.
It is almost impossible not to meet up with fellow packers. You will probably find that they have too much stuff so will be happy to do a few swaps. Also, depending how long you go for, it is fairly easy and cheap to send stuff home.
Most of my travels in Asia have been on business so not much help to you there so the following applies more to S America.
Very difficult to say how much to budget for, but S America can be very cheap - less than $10 per night for a comfy clean hostel, a few $ per meal. On the other hand, some parts are very expensive, particularly Argentina. Getting around S America can be expensive if you want to fly, unless you have a round the world type ticket, allowing you to hop between the major cities. More local travel is best done by train, but you will need to take local advice as trains can be infrequent and irregular (and in a few areas dangerous). Buses can be a very cheap way of getting around and a good way to see the real country and people. But more than 8 hours or so on a crowded, noisy, smelly uncomfortable bus with no suspension and no exhaust can test the patience a bit!
Best advice is to have a very loose itinerary - decide what you want to see, but dont set a definite route or timescale as it will almost certainly change. Also you will talk to other travellers who will suggest visiting somewhere you havent thought of so you dont want to be rushing to get to the next city.
Check out lonelyplanet.com as there is loads of info and a pretty useful message board where you can post specific questions. The lonely planet guides are superb and well worth buying. But dont buy all of them as you will find that other packers and hostels have second hand ones to get rid of.
Just go for it. You will have a fantastic time and meet some great people. If you've got any specific questions I'll try to answer them, although I have to say you have now got me thinking about bu####ing off again!

Steve

PS - allow a lot of time in Peru. It is an amazing country.
Old 03 November 2003, 11:38 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine jacked in his job on a Thursday afternoon, got his credit card, passport and camera and got the first flight out to Thailand. That was 1.5 years ago and he hasn't come back yet. Get the occasional postcard, last one was from some place in China.

I wish I had the courage and money to do it that way

Sorry, no real advice except ensure you always have the means to get home again.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 November 2003, 11:43 AM
Luke
BANNED

1. Realy realy good insurance.
2. Macpac
3. Stay away from the pikey travellers stealing your stuff. Goa had a crew from Liverpool etc stealing from other travellers.... easy when they are stoned!!
Old 03 November 2003, 12:25 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Beware of sweaty backpacker chicks who'll f**k you, get you to buy them stuff, then leave you with their Hotmail contact details and a STD.
Old 03 November 2003, 12:55 PM
newbie_scoobie
Scooby Regular

LMFAO Nacro

You live and learn!

Col
Old 03 November 2003, 01:27 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

If you do pass through Bolivia could you pick me up a kilo or two of their finest Marching Powder™
Old 03 November 2003, 07:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Don't think I like the idea of spending the rest of my days in some Bolivian jail; thanks all the same

I wish I had the money to do what your m8 did Ian.

Any ideas on what it's gonna cost? I'll be selling my car, but if I need £20K, it'll need to wait a year.

Stefan
Old 05 November 2003, 12:17 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Get your innoculations now. Yellow fever for example is a special request at the doctor (you will be charged) and there two injections separated by 4 weeks IIRC. The full list will depend on where you want to go.

Costs obviously depend heavily on where you go. The more "advanced" the nation, the higher the cost (though you may get a better chance of doing casual work).

I don't know anyone who has regretted taking a bit trip. Yes they have been nervous about giving up jobs etc, but for the rest of their lives they have the memories and experiences, and people saying "I wish I'd done that..." (me included)

Alternatively you could get a job abroad and sample the culture that way
Old 05 November 2003, 05:11 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go for it. If you don't you'll regret it in years to come, when you'll probably be married with kids etc.

You only live once!
Old 05 November 2003, 05:55 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Go for it!!
I packed in work for 6 months, let out out house and went round the world. Nothing much had changed when we got back, and we'd had the most amazing time.
SE Asia is brilliant - great food, easy transport, fantastic places, and if you've got half a brain you're not too likely to get ripped off.
Australia and NZ are fab fun, but not massively cheap.
India is hard work if you are on limited time - it takes ages to book stuff as you go "No train tickets availabel for 2 weeks" etc.
Nepal is great - lovely people, cheap as chips, Himalayas. Just a bit of a culture shock.
Mexico - watch the food and water. I have never been so ill. Fabulous historic sites, but it can be dangerous especially for women.
Enjoy!
Old 05 November 2003, 08:27 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Looks like it'll be April before I head off. Want to learn how to Scuba dive before I go, so I'm starting to go through the SSAC course. Instructor reckons I'll be very experienced (and safe) well before then.

I know you can do PADI and NAUI courses in just over a week, but I wouldn't reckon on being fully competent and confident after such a short time.

Anyway, will give me time to sort everything out.

If I won the lottery, I'd be off tomorrow

Stefan