Get Your Balls Out!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 10:52 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Guys
I read some weeks back, with some amusement, the thread on cars V bikes. Well Having just passed my direct access test a couple of weeks ago, bought a bike and tried in vain to get me knee down, I can honestly tell you that riding a bikes knocks **** outta driving cars to the extent that I no longer get excited about driving my cars any more. I have been trying to learn all I can from watching other bikers and have taken a pillion ride with Birdy at the helm and all I can say is.....wow!
After experiencing a bike at 8/10ths as a pillion and experiencing lean angles that would put the local drunk to shame, I am left in no doubt that it takes considerably bigger ***** and a healthier dose of skill to cane a bike than it does a safety cage on 4 wheels.
Massive respect to the likes of Matt Oz, Birdy and anyone else who regularly gets their ***** out on two wheels.
Next time anyone feels like commenting on how they kicked a bikes **** on their tesco run last Tuesday, take time out to consider that when you loose your scoob at 80mph u have a fair chance of walking away. Loose a bike at the same and you are seriously in the mire.
If you haven't done so already take your test and sell your scoob if you have to.You know it makes sense
Cgeers
Steve
Old 17 June 2001, 11:25 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

I don't ride a bike, but even if I did, it wouldn't get me excited
Old 17 June 2001, 11:39 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

nooooo it woud'ny
Old 17 June 2001, 11:42 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry To Say, When i crash into you or you crash into me who will be scraped off the floor, there are 2 many loons on the road to ride a bike any more!!

Edited due to far 2 many Becks in the pub!!!

[This message has been edited by DeerHunter (edited 17 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 01:34 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONT STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODY THREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN I two like both but i dont want to spend an hour reading through the comments trying to find an interesting sentence STOP IT NOW
Old 18 June 2001, 12:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

i think you missed the point completely in the thread steve.

Almost without exception people said you need more ability to go quickly on a bike compared to a car.

We all know you need to be very good to get even close to the limit of what a bike is capable of.

You and me, you on your bike, me in my westie, i'd kick your *** mate.

Old 18 June 2001, 02:01 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

John
You wouldn't mate cos your car would only get to the first bend then more than likely blow the head gasket....again......then I'd be off after skidding in all the oil you left on the road but claim the victory due to me tumbling a further 100 yards down the road
Steve
Old 18 June 2001, 02:20 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Too many people seem to miss the point that bike and cars each have good and bad characteristics.
I have a Scooby and a bike, love them both and don't really care if others have a dislike for bikes - that's their problem.
Does it really matter which is faster?
Different strokes and all that!!
Old 18 June 2001, 03:55 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

lol sasman
Old 18 June 2001, 04:08 PM
Puffy The Skyline Slayer!
Scooby Newbie

W9

You getting yoursel' a Gixer then

Old 18 June 2001, 04:28 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

W9,

What have you got as a first bike? I only ask as you're clearly used to flipping quick cars but would be silly to start with a Gixer Thousand (even if you could get insurance!).

First bike after passing my test ... an 1100. Destroyed within 170 miles, though to be fair it was entirely someone else's fault. Nevertheless, with more experience I could probably (just) have avoided the no-brain nutter who pulled out on me.

Be careful out there, and get as many miles under your belt as you can before going mad.

Bros
Old 18 June 2001, 04:38 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by W9GTR:
<B>Guys
I read some weeks back, with some amusement, the thread on cars V bikes. Well Having just passed my direct access test a couple of weeks ago, bought a bike and tried in vain to get me knee down, I can honestly tell you that riding a bikes knocks **** outta driving cars to the extent that I no longer get excited about driving my cars any more. I have been trying to learn all I can from watching other bikers and have taken a pillion ride with Birdy at the helm and all I can say is.....wow!
After experiencing a bike at 8/10ths as a pillion and experiencing lean angles that would put the local drunk to shame, I am left in no doubt that it takes considerably bigger ***** and a healthier dose of skill to cane a bike than it does a safety cage on 4 wheels.
Massive respect to the likes of Matt Oz, Birdy and anyone else who regularly gets their ***** out on two wheels.
Next time anyone feels like commenting on how they kicked a bikes **** on their tesco run last Tuesday, take time out to consider that when you loose your scoob at 80mph u have a fair chance of walking away. Loose a bike at the same and you are seriously in the mire.
If you haven't done so already take your test and sell your scoob if you have to.You know it makes sense
Cgeers
Steve[/quote]

Nice one Steve - glad to see your liking it. Really love to see car people have a go at biking rather than write pretending they know what they are talking about!! Its so different isnt it!!!

Be carefull out there - first 6 months is the hardest bit. Drive on the assumption that EVERY car driver is out to kill you and you'll be ok. Remember also that your at your highest risk when you start thinking its easy and push a bit too hard... so take your time. I have a mate who's an instructor who taught me the ropes. Id recommend a "Roadcraft" course - if you can get on one its well worth it. You'll learn about road positioning.

Find someone who's not a nutter and follow them about as well - you'll learn a lot quicker than on your own. But avoid the "wheelies in a 30 zone" brigade (until you get better ) for a while - you'll try and keep up (bin there - had the 30ft back end end slide going straight on rather than round the corner!!!).

Your dead right. I still cant get my knee down and its bleedin scary tryin!!! Anyone comparing the experience of bike v cars is missing the point of biking.

Hope to see you on the Roads some day soon

P.S isnt it nice when EVERYONE nods at you regardless of bike they ride!! Scooby owners should learn from that!!!

Jza
Old 18 June 2001, 05:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

john,

you wouldnt beat me!!!

tiggs

(knee down, toe down, get the flippin' lot down!)
Old 18 June 2001, 05:16 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

KNEE DOWN ADVICE -
Find yourself a large roundabout with a good surface, no bumps changes of surface etc. Go out about 6.00AM on a Sunday morning (no traffic). Start circling slowly at a speed you feel comfortable. Accelerate constantly but gently. (If you feel you don't want to continue decelerate gently as well.) You should be able to get your knee down easily after 10 or 15 laps. It helps if you slide your bum over one side of the seat, as the lean angle will not be so great. Once you have got the hang of it it isn't that scary. If you are really brave you will be able to get your elbow down with not much more practice. Avoid getting your head and **** down at all costs.

p.s. You can buy knee sliders with titanium nuggets set in. Get your knee down at night and you leave a massive trail of sparks. Class.....
Old 18 June 2001, 05:22 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>KNEE DOWN ADVICE - [/quote]

two things - one, its all to do with hanging off, less to do with leaning the bike. Get your backside right off the seat

Two - excellent roundabout under the M4 at the hungerford turn off; wide, quiet, grippy and medium fast.

Roundabout surfing is very very sad... but great fun

Old 18 June 2001, 06:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

bet i would tiggs

steve, what the ell you on about???
I blew the head gasket like 12 months ago when i went from 270 to 330BHP on the standard gasket. All cossies do that. Thats why i now have a groupA gasket and **** loads other mods.

I have done 2 days at dono, one at cadwell park, one at knockhill, easter at the nurburgring this year alone, driving to all these venues (yes i drove to the ring and back) and kicking *** on track all day. Only problem i had was a snapped clutch cable on the way to the ring, it was 7 years old!!

I'd like to see your shed do that without any issues.
Old 18 June 2001, 07:03 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

When you can get you elbow down as well, then come back........

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 June 2001, 07:26 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

HA Finally found you on the board.
Thanx for taking time out from showing off to your mates in your skyline (lucky git) and coming over for a chat with me and my RB5 in St Neots the other week.
I've got to say you have to have confidence in your bike as well as ***** to get your **** off and your knee down. Also a bike owner and still haven't quite got the the right size nuts.
Old 18 June 2001, 11:35 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I got my wrist down on the mountain bike yesterday.... well it was more up really.... up a tree in fact! It involved going over a jump and getting a bit crossed up, the rest is a blur

Bob
Old 19 June 2001, 12:00 AM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

John.......keep your wig on M8
Others....some interesting comments and good advice (two women have already tried to kill me, and no it wasn't my wife and mother in law ). Just to point out that I was not trying to start a "whats's quicker thread" again. I was in fact merely pointing out that biking is immense fun and more stimulating and challenging than car driving.
For the record I just bought a new Gixer 600 which is fan-****in-tastic. I have trouble keeping the front wheel in contact with the road in 1st & 2nd gear above 8000rpm. so how on earth you cope with an R1, Gixer 1000 or mille R I do not know but looking forward to having a go one day
I of course still like cars a gerat deal but i will admit now that my shed (as john so eloquently put it) has not ventured outside of the garage walls for the last three weeks maybe the novelty will wear off soon....but somehow I doubt it.
Stay Safe
Steve
Old 19 June 2001, 09:13 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Glad you enjoyed it me old mate
Old 19 June 2001, 09:25 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Anyone that needs knee down confidence should read the perf. bikes article on trying to lowside a bike- its very hard!

if the road, bike and tyers are ok you aint gonna fall of on the lowside trying to get your knee down.

go to a trackday with a photographer- look at the slow/med group pics, the guys with knees down have still got the bike almost upright but it feels to them like its on it ear. all in the mind so just crank it over.

when your engine case (on an R1) touches down then youre on its ear!

tiggs

never used sparkers, just grind the bike away!

ps- dont blame me if you do fall off! should be on tracks anyway- roads are to dangerous! little toy cars every where thinking thery're faster than us!
Old 19 June 2001, 10:37 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Knee-down bikers make me laugh, unless they're VERY cranked over, in which case there's perhaps a need.

The ultimate confirmation that this was all just a pose was when I passed an R1 mid-Gerrards. The rider had his sparky sliders glued firmly to the tarmac, multi-coloured BKS, looked like a race god ... except that he was only about 35 degrees off vertical and was passed by a beaten-up Bros 650 with neither bike nor rider touching anything down.

"So, er, what engine's that got then" he asked, at the end of the session. When he found out that it was completely standard (other than a Supertrapp pipe) and had 50hp (rather than his 130-140hp) he looked a little uncomfortable.

Tee hee!

Bros

Old 19 June 2001, 10:50 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

yep, got to agree. Hanging off does have some merit in that you get to know how far over you are, you get a bit of weight on the inside, etc (and it has actually saved me in a slide - luck, rather than skill though). But you do see plenty of guys concentrating on getting their knee down rather than going fast.

I guess its like getting the back of the car out - not usually the fastest way round a corner, but lots of fun
Old 19 June 2001, 11:12 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jon hill:
<B>
I guess its like getting the back of the car out - not usually the fastest way round a corner, but lots of fun [/quote]

its the fastest way if you're going fast- try keeping knees off the deck when your going round old hair pin, mel. loop, etc- almost imposs.

tiggs

ps- when youve gone down craners left hander with your toe and knee slider grinding out you wont bother with roundabouts!!

Old 19 June 2001, 11:13 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I know what you mean mate! Regularly go ***** out, but tend to find that the wheelbarrow gets in the way a little! Glad that you're enjoying the biking thing. Just keep the rubbery side down mate!

As for knee down........being a lanky gyet, it helps, but then I do tend to run off the edge of my tyres on a regular basis. Still, if you're not going to use ALL the rubber, why bother!

Birdy, you and I need to get together. Need to get your old man out too, so that the Aprilia boys can intimidate the Jap upstart! LOL

Matt
Old 19 June 2001, 11:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bros:
<B>

The ultimate confirmation that this was all just a pose...
[/quote]

You mean you didn't know? It is still a big thrill anyway, but if you want the fastest way, keep your butt on the middle of the seat, spread your legs (Oh Baby!!) and lean over until touchdown. You can carry some of the load of the front wheel if you are really caning it, but if you hit a bump or maybe a grain of sand at this stage you will fall off.

I once had the pleasure of following Phil McCallen (not for very long) round part of the TT course. He came out of one corner with front wheel in the air, back wheel spinning and knee on the deck. As neither of the wheels where holding him up, it had to be his knee. Now that looks like a thrill I will never experience
Old 19 June 2001, 11:27 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

went round donnington a couple of weeks back - copice is my personal favourite, deck everything out before you see the apex and wind on the gas - exactly what V twins were built for

i guess what i'm trying to say is that if you're going quick & hanging off a bit then getting your knee down happens as a result. However concentrating on getting right off the bike and getting your knee down will not make you fast. If I tried to get round melbourne quickly i'd touch down as I followed the kerb, but coz it was fun half teh time I turned in, put everything on the deck and scraped the bike right the way round the corner - I'm sure I was slower, cause I was concentrating on angle of dangle, rather than keeping my line & getting on the power.

Kind of similar in the car

Old 19 June 2001, 01:45 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>bet i would tiggs

I blew the head gasket like 12 months ago when i went from 270 to 330BHP on the standard gasket. All cossies do that. Thats why i now have a groupA gasket and **** loads other mods.
I'd like to see your shed do that without any issues. [/quote]

blah de blah blah.....

John Felstead. You and your bleedin car. 270 this and that . Boasting this and that. LOL!!

You add up how much its cost ya, blown up bits, mods and all, then i'll buy a susuki Hayabusa, and mod it up to the amount you've spent. Then you try and keep up.

NO CHANCE MATE. YOU'D BE DUST. AND IM A CRAP RIDER!!!! How does under 2 secs to 60 grab ya?

(OK - so it would have to be in the dry and on a straight road!!! )

Jza

W9GTR.

Nice bike - glad you didnt go with the thou - you'll learn to ride a lot better with the less power but razor handling. Read this months Fast Bikes - theres a brilliant review of the GSXR 600/750/1000!!

Take care!

Jza

Quick Reply: Get Your Balls Out!!!!!!!!!!