Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who thinks the property market will crash

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 02:26 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Seen some interesting figs from ARLA tonight.

Steve
Old 30 October 2003, 04:29 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Not sure about a crash although I find it difficult to believe it will continue the way it is. Property prices are just crazy in the UK.

I`ve been in Canada since February, the sort of houses you can get here for the price of a three bedroom semi is unbelievable.
Old 30 October 2003, 06:21 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It wont really effect me so I don't care - although every thread I have seen goes like this...........

People who are buying hope/think it will crash, people who have property with a big mortgage hope/think it wont.

Old 30 October 2003, 07:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Short term, The rate of growth will slow down or even cause prices to fall slightly.

Long term, no.

There are more people who need a house than houses available. So according to supply and demand how can they ever come down until the supply meets the demand?

We either need to pump everything into building more, over the next 10 years or recognise that, for the ordinary guy the days of owning your own house are coming to an end.
Old 30 October 2003, 07:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Whatever you do, don't ask Roger Bootle of Capital Economics!

He's the biggest UK property market bear out there, and is predicting some rather unpleasant times ahead, backed up by some rather compelling evidence, if statistics are your thing.

The next interest rate hike by the Bank of England could be a bit of a catalyst.
Old 30 October 2003, 07:50 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Interest rates are only going one way. When they rise lots of people will suddenly realise that they have overstretched and when that happens the bubble will burst. It's not complicated economic theory, just common sense.

Old 30 October 2003, 08:07 AM
Luke
BANNED

Cant bloody wait........You have to be acrack dealer to afford a one bedroom flat in London....
Old 30 October 2003, 08:20 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Talking

Surely a crack dealer is the only type of person that would actually want to live in central London?
Old 30 October 2003, 08:23 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Crash - no.

Levelling out, some adjustment + or -, obviously.
Old 30 October 2003, 08:31 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Crash? Yes.
When? Don't know

It is indeed about supply and demand. Demand side is being driven by [investment] greed and not the need for people to buy somewhere to live. Once the market starts to look wobbly there will be a hell of a lot of sellers out there trying to cash in their unrealised gains before it all turns sour. I would expect the supply will overtake demand fairly rapidly and prices will fall rapidly to tempt 'real' buyers. Once prices start to fall, new 'investors' will probably stay well clear!

Good luck.

Suresh
Old 30 October 2003, 08:36 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I can see a small downturn in prices over the next 2-5 years starting in December 2003. However I dont see a crash in the proportions we've seen in the past. I am predicting (and hoping) that property prices won't fall to less than 90% of their current value. Regional variations are inevitable and I see London and other cities that have seen unprecedented rises in prices taking the biggest hit in terms of residual value (% wise).

That reminds me I must go and sort out a new fixed rate on both my mortgages!

Fingers crossed - although one benefit of a reduction in prices will be the better buy to let profit margins. Swings and roundabouts if you ask me.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:01 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Ok - even if there is a crash, it will be followed by a recovery. The only people who will suffer are those looking for short term gain or people who massively over burrowed. Anyone see interest rates going much above 5%? If not, then house prices as they were 12 months ago will be sustainable IMO.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:03 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Doesn't bother me, I paid £47,500 for my 3 bedroom detached house 5 years ago, I'm sure it won't go below that value
Old 30 October 2003, 09:04 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

"Anyone see interest rates going much above 5%"

YUP - thats why I'm sorting out some fixed rate deals as we speak!

2 x 3 bedroom semi's went for £350k (each!) down the road from me about 6 months ago!
Old 30 October 2003, 09:05 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

People who are buying hope/think it will crash, people who have property with a big mortgage hope/think it wont
How are we doing so far?
Old 30 October 2003, 09:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Although it'd be good if the monthly payments don't go up, I'm not worried about the equity value of the house that we live in 'cos we love it to pieces and certainly don't want to move for the forseeable future (8+ years)
Old 30 October 2003, 09:20 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

S96 - I'm on a fixed rate until Jan 2008 in any case so I'm not unduly worried, but how high do you think we might see in the next couple of years?
Old 30 October 2003, 09:23 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

do a search on this subject and laugh at all the bears who said CRASH every time the question is asked.

some of the proffesional bears are now so desperate to excuse their ramblings of doom and gloom that they are blaming the recent case of advisers egging ppl into false income statements to get bigger loans!!! "ooh nooo, we were right....if it hadnt been for the advisers the market would have crashed....those pesky kidddds"
Old 30 October 2003, 09:29 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Take a look at the swap rates, banks can still do deals where they lock in the right to pay 5.25% fixed and recieve floating (so linked to base rate effectively) for 20 years! If rates were a sure thing to go up then we'd(us bankers) all rush into this trade and make a mint...so the market doesn't really anticipate any great rise in rates.
Saying that I've just got rid of my 'extra' property as I don't see the return being too worthwhile over the next few years once 40% capital gains and income tax is taken into account. I'd love to see a price crash like the good old one of 1989ish.
Chuck
Old 30 October 2003, 09:34 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

PC, theres speculation (as there will always be) that rates are likely to steadily rise for the next 10 (yes TEN!) years. However I think its likely to be a shorter downturn but possibly getting to the same point in 5 years.

MHO is that I think rates will make an initial jump of say .5% and then rise at .25 every 3-6 months. Overall I can see rates topping out at 7-7.5% worst case scenario but more likely it'll be 6-6.5.

I'm hoping to get 2 fixed rate deals on 2 properties at around 5-5.5 tops fixed for "at least" 5 years just to be safe. As one of these will be a buy to let arrangement I might not get what I'm after ideally. I'm after anything that gives me peace of mind for the forseeable at a reasonable cost.

I could be horribly wrong and end up paying over the odds but stick with something that has a reasonable early redemption penalty and I'll still be happy.
Old 30 October 2003, 10:28 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

greedy gordan will not let the bank of england put intrest rates up to much as it would ultimately cost him in stamp duty etc if the housing market slows down

i dont care my mortgage is only 22k
Old 30 October 2003, 10:33 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Just seen the money programme last night about how many mortgage 'advisors' are telling people to lie about their earnings on a self-certification mortage which the building society doesn't check up.

This is a major problem right now, and could be a contributing factor to how people continue to buy more and more expensive housing - artificially raising house prices in the short term.

Long term it could lead to a nasty crash.
Old 30 October 2003, 10:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a fact that property prices are at a ridiculous level compared with incomes. Cheap interest rates of course have encouraged that and the rest of the dreadful debts people have due to over borrowing.

The interest rates may well go up I think, the Bank of England has control of that, and then people who are struggling to service their debts now will have a very hard time. Property prices will fall then because the house market will drop away.

Les
Old 30 October 2003, 10:36 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

but the speed cameras will save us
Old 30 October 2003, 10:57 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Saying that I've just got rid of my 'extra' property as I don't see the return being too worthwhile over the next few years once 40% capital gains and income tax is taken into account.
Is there anymore information on this tax?

Where would I stand? I have a property which is fine and my fiancee has a flat. If we sold the flat, would she be liable for the tax, even though it is in her name and the only property she has a mortgage against?
Old 30 October 2003, 11:00 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

you dont pay CGT on your main residence
so the answer is no
Old 30 October 2003, 11:05 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

in the south east im pretty much boned, a mate just bought a 1 bed flat with his fiancee, for around 120k, what chance does a first time buyer have??

now once my gf finishes uni (end of the year), and gets a job we can start to think about moving out. House prices are crazy.
Old 30 October 2003, 11:32 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

In the words of Bob Dylan...

"there's a hard rain a gonna fall"

All these tw@ts swanning about in their expensive 4 x 4s who are 2nd mortgaged up to the eyeballs just in order to 'keep up with the Jones's' (who are also in debt to their limits) are going to catch cold badly.

UB
Old 30 October 2003, 11:35 AM
NACRO
BANNED

"All these tw@ts swanning about in their expensive 4 x 4s who are 2nd mortgaged up to the eyeballs just in order to 'keep up with the Jones's' (who are also in debt to their limits) are going to catch cold badly."

Good, I'll be there laughing at them as they are hopefully turfed out onto the streets. About time people like that had a reality check.

Quick Reply: Who thinks the property market will crash