Fuertaventura - Anyone been???

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2003, 08:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Flying out next wed to Fuertaventura

Anyone got any hints and advise for best places to go and see, best beaches, restaurants etc. ???

Also, where's the best place for foreign currency ?
Old 20 October 2003, 08:20 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Haven't been for a while now, but all the beaches were excellent. Most of them have a naturist bit and a clothed bit. Put plenty of factor 50 on your butt if you plan to go naturist. The most painful thing you can experience if flying home with a badly burned ***

There is a brilliant steak house in Caletta de Fusta (halfway down the right hand side of the island.) I got a 64oz steak there for about a fiver. Couldn't eat my greens thought .

Watch out for what looks like normal food but isn't. We got a pizza that was supposed to be ham and cheese.... It was ham and mature goats cheese and smelled like my trainers :barf:

If you are going SC try to shop in the bigger supermarkets. The shops in resorts are a real big rip off for some things. (Campbells soup - 4.00 quid, bottle of locally labelled vodka - 4.00 quid)
Old 20 October 2003, 08:35 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

Yep it's a nice island, great weather, beaches everywhere, very windy, cheap too......the downside is lots of Germans.
Old 20 October 2003, 09:13 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Cool

Very nice island - Corralejo (we've stayed there twice!) is at the top of the island, and has some fantastic scenery (Volcano's, Sand Dunes) on entering. There is also a ferry there that goes over to Lanzarote just in case you fancy a day out. It's typically a bit more cooler than the south of the island due to the beach. Corralejo is supposedly the busiest town on the island, and has some nice restaurants that are near the harbour/sea.

Jandia Playa is at the south of the island, and is very hot. When we went there at a similar time to now, we burnt our feet on the sand just walking to the sea! Again, great beach and scenery.

If you have access to a hire car, it's well worth travelling driving around the island (Jandia to Corralejo is no more than 2 hrs max in a Saxo 1l with air con on! ) as some of the views are breathtaking. Word of warning though, don't park you car to far in the sand when viewing the dunes, as they charge you a small fortunte to pull you free..... as we witnessed when some German bloke got his big hire car stuck!

As FB said, there are quite a few naturist beaches!

All in all, we really liked the island!

The best place for foreign currency is here!
Old 21 October 2003, 07:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

BTTT for any more advice.

Cheers for the contributions so far.
Old 21 October 2003, 08:18 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I've stayed in Corralejo twice and loved it Busier than the rest of the island (but all things are relative) with a good selection of decent restaurants. Seafood is fantastic, and goats cheese a local speciality which I really like.

If you're staying up that end of the island I'd recommend taking a day trip over to the small island of Lobos - an uninhabited island with lovely beaches, natural sea lagoons etc - perfect for a day away from everyone. Also loads of fishing trips, watersports etc available.

Lovely beaches, lovely weather (I've never found the wind to be obtrusive) and, certainly in the north of the island, not your average 12 hotels per sq. metre, full of screaming kids, burger and chips and 2 pints of lager English holiday destination.
Old 21 October 2003, 08:28 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

not your average 12 hotels per sq. metre, full of screaming kids, burger and chips and 2 pints of lager English holiday destination.
Never a truer word spoken!
Old 21 October 2003, 08:41 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Take the road over the mountains to Cofete. Great road, the views are amazing, the beach is too Isolated and slightly spooky...

We rented a Jeep but optimistic folks were making it over there in Corsas!

http://www.fuerteventura.info/fuerteventurainfoasis.htm?Cofete/Cofete.htm~mainFrame
Old 21 October 2003, 08:46 AM
Luke
BANNED

Great place to ride a mountain Bike. Lots of germans..But thats better than English scum wrecking the place.
Old 21 October 2003, 08:55 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Yep, not a bad place for a hol. We hired a 4x4 jeep and bogged off into the back and beyond for a bit, which was pretty cool.

Word of advice, if you see a kite on the beach - there'll be a naked german at the bottom of it Why is it that the germans feel the need to get every last square inch tanned - some of them looked like they were ready to fire something at the sun from their *** !!!

I think we found the great food place in Caletta aswell, if the name of it comes back to me then I'll let you know.

Have a great time.

Matt
Old 21 October 2003, 12:59 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with all the other comments, stayed in Corralejo too. Nice island, friendly people, not too busy/touristy!

Go to the southern most point on the island though, a big long dust road, you can have wicked rally style moments in the Corsa hire cars give them a real hard time! (only good thing to do with a Vaux anyway)
Old 21 October 2003, 07:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks everyone, you've got me all excited now, can't wait 'til next wednesday.

Cheers.
Old 21 October 2003, 07:54 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Germans mainly in the south. Also, best beaches are in the south. Did the nuddy thing but watch out for dirty old pervy men (who are interested in watching both sexes!! Yeuch!!) Hired a Renault Twingo with a fold back roof. Cr*p car but ok for an island that size.

Nice place to go. Calletta de Fuste is slightly better than Corralleo imho but only cause it's a bit warmer there for some reason

Have a nice holiday