Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Air Pistols

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 09:01 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was watching that dodgy peep show comedy thing on channel 4 last night and a woman who was being stalked in her home produced a pistol based air gun. Not that ive ever had the occassion to find out, thank god, but ive always been a baseball bat fan for home security. However, im thinking a realistic looking air pistol would look the part and hopefully persuade offenders to bugger off or at least inflict minor damage.

Does anyone have one of these things and can anyone suggest a good place to buy?

[Edited by djuk - 10/18/2003 9:02:08 PM]
Old 18 October 2003, 09:18 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I have one, fires 8 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger, I'ts not going to kill anyone ( hopefully ), But I wouldn't want it unloaded in my face - it's a Umarex, quite heavy, this gives the added advantage that when you have stunned your intruder you can spin it around an pistol whip em' ( if you have to of course .

Not that I condone any kind of violence on burglars or anything
Old 18 October 2003, 09:22 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the sort of thing im looking for Got any links to a site where i can see the model you have?
Old 18 October 2003, 09:28 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

just google for umarex.
Old 18 October 2003, 09:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

don't bother... the only realistic air pistols you can buy are the Brocock revolver pistols that take 6 air cartridges + pellets similar to a normal revolver. Buy the ones with the solid chambers and they look the part. Pull anything else on anyone who knows a modicom about guns and they will laugh in your face.

P.s. for what its worth, if you are caught using a "replica" firearm in a menacing fashion you will be treated the same way as if it was real... i.e. you will be done under the firearms act and quite probably shot!
Old 18 October 2003, 09:32 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have an Anics Skif A3000, one of the most powerful air pistols and it has a magazine of 28 shots!

More here: http://www.anics.com/eskif2.html.

I paid about £90 for mine.

Steve.

Old 18 October 2003, 09:33 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

ajm:

Yes, but it's a deterent in your house. I certainly wouldn't go on to the street with it.

Steve.
Old 18 October 2003, 09:36 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

boxst - agreed... personally I have two legally held firearms, I just don't want any muppets giving shooting sports any worse name than our nanny government can come up with!

I would use a pick axe handle and have done with it!
Old 18 October 2003, 09:36 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Brockocks are ok if your intruder doesn't mind waiting 20 minutes for you to reload..,.....................

I nearly bought a skiff, but they aare not heavy enough, if you want something to use as a weapon get a pistol made from steel.
Old 18 October 2003, 09:59 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

buy a copy of airgun world or airgunner at your newsagents, loads in there for mailorder or second hand ones. I've got a walther cp99 CO2 pistol (same as the new James Bond one) made from metal and plastic and looks well realistic. The only other 'real' looking one is the colt 45 lookalike but all the decent ones are around £100+. There are also the issues of drawing a weapon on someone, real or not, all to do with the reasonable force laws, look at Tony Martin for an example, you are much better of twatting someone with the fat end of a snooker cue or one of those huge maglite torches, much easier to explain why you have one of those in you house after you leave a perp bleeding on you living room floor!
Old 18 October 2003, 10:42 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

The other thing to consider, is that unless you shoot them in the eye, being shot with an air pistol just hurts a lot (I have shot 'friends' with, and been shot by, a Webley Tempest .22, so I can vouch for this - air gun hide and seek - an excellent game), so if you do it, the most likely outcome is that the person you shoot will become very, very, very angry. Is that what you want? Either get a real gun, or belt them over the head with a 6-D MagLite, air pistols are toys (air rifles however, are a different ball game).
Old 18 October 2003, 10:51 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I know a farmer whos idea of fun was, with his mates, blatting each other with shotguns and .22 rifles at range for fun....its a bit like paintball for the insame! He ended up copping a load of no.9's in the face and in a fit of anger, blew out the guys car dashboard and all!

They then retired down the local for a badger supper (yes roast badger)

All good fun among a load of hardened country folk! (fit that into your agenda new labour and pslewis, ya nanny sissys! )
Old 18 October 2003, 11:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It depends what kind of intruder you have. Most burglars would just run when shot at, I don't think they would stand and fight. Certainly the Skif with 28 shots would get most people running. But do aim high, as pellets have a hard problem doing much damage against clothes. A secondary precaution of an "ornamental" samarai sword does wonders I would imagine.

It DOES hurt being shot with an airpistol. I have a nice scar (very little) on my leg when I was playing hide and seek with airpistols. I have a slightly larger one when playing the same thing with an air rifle.......

Steve.
Old 18 October 2003, 11:26 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I didn't say that it didn't hurt, it hurts a lot, it just doesn't hurt enough when used as a real weapon.
Old 18 October 2003, 11:45 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

I cant believe it, but the sweet shop that was on the corner at the end of my road has now started selling air pistols. I couldnt believe it.

Its gotten taken over by new owners who I dont think care about the area (I dont live in paradise but its certainly not hell) and just want to sell anything they can.
Old 18 October 2003, 11:58 PM
poondang
Scooby Newbie

yer badger is tasty , i pick em up ,, on th rd , my missus makes some nice pies
Old 19 October 2003, 12:01 AM
poondang
Scooby Newbie

in fack i try 2 pick up evrt road kill i see ,pheasant , rabbit , , dog ,cat all tastes the same im my missus pies !!