Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

£60 fine for an empty washer bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 07:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just unbeleivable...

Old 18 October 2003, 07:19 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

and unbelievable too

lol

posted here this morning somewhere...

shocking!!

BB
Old 18 October 2003, 07:23 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

They're obviously not catching enough women speeding
Old 18 October 2003, 07:38 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Think of the implications of this. This bloke parks his car outside his house and was sitting around watching TV when they swoop and tax him for alleged crimes.

So, what happens if you are asleep some night it it becomes frosty and your windscreen on the car freezes over? It will not be long before you will be getting a knock on the door and 3 points on the license.

We all know that the one thing the police don't lack is malice and they will sneak up on you in any way possible. So, the next thing they are going to tax for motorists is air temperature!!

Remember, their target for next year is 3 million tickets for speeding and they have to meet that quota somehow. I wonder what their target for empty washer bottles is?
Old 18 October 2003, 10:54 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Sometimes, the police really are their own worst enemies. And they expect support from the public......Still, it was a Cavalier ;-)
Old 19 October 2003, 12:11 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

belatedly they recinded the ticket... but why the swoop in the first place...

if that was any other company, there would be sackings follwing an incedent like this..... we should demand that all cheif constables are elected for one year at a time,, that way if there crap and dont deliver results ie crime down etc they will be sacked...it amazing what a little public pressure can do for ones performance

M
Old 19 October 2003, 02:54 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

hear hear-sack the chief r who ever made that stupid rule up-makes me so friggin angry-report a theft its a case of-no coppers free -here's ur crime number-wont come to u so never any chance we can catch em and give us some paperwork to do-but to be on their side if they do all paperwork etc as they mite then a silly out of touch magistrate will say oh dear they were disadvantaged as a child let em off -for 100th time etc-im going to be a criminal-sorry to say but in england-saying aint true-crime does pay-it does now in our country
Old 19 October 2003, 10:58 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

What a complete and utter waste of time [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 October 2003, 11:17 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to be honest , it doesn't surprise me at all ! that is just typical of the state of the police force at the present time
Old 19 October 2003, 11:56 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Were only seeing one side of the story! how many abandoned cars are near you? Perhaps this one was a right shed, and deserved what it got?
dave
Old 19 October 2003, 12:25 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

If his car was a complete shed he would have been done for a lot more than a lose battery connection and an empty washer bottle. So I would say its just police who are bored and decided to stamp their authority a bit.
Old 19 October 2003, 03:20 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Canteen hero's...
Old 19 October 2003, 03:26 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why did he need to call out a mechanic to tighten a battery terminal? Makes you wonder....???

UB
Old 19 October 2003, 03:30 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

My point exactly, when was the last time the bonnet was lifted? Would it start/run with dodgy battery connection? Was it M.O.Td?
dave
Old 19 October 2003, 03:38 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Red face

I got a summons a few years back for having my battery not properly secured (about 2days after passing an MOT). They wanted to give me 3points of something like that. In the end i had to get a soliciter to get the charges dropped, which cost me £80 for something i should never have been summonsed?? for in the first place.

To top it all off i was a student who could barely afford to eat (petrol comes first) and they only pulled me over coz they were bored no doubt!

Oh and i didn't have a scoob it was an e-reg citroen AX
Old 19 October 2003, 04:39 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

You car should be capable of passing an MOT at any time, not just once a year. If it has defects, you can be done for it.

I got 3 point on my license many years ago for a blown headlamp bulb. It had only just blown, and I told them that, did the yes sir, no sir bit and they did me for 3 points. Sometimes the police are their own PR worst enemies. I'd have been happy to produce documents and show them the fixed bulb.

So if you get pulled and they ask you something like "did you know one of your headlights isn't working", lie and say no. Honesty sometimes is not the best policy
Old 19 October 2003, 04:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Misty...as has been said,if it was a shed he'd have got done for more than a faulty terminal and empty washer bottle.

Its about prioritys.How about the police spend 30 mins protecting old people from vandals rather than inspecting old cars.Surely a five min check of the tyres and documents would have sufficed.

Old 19 October 2003, 04:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Theyshould be all sued by "trading standards"

Unfit for the job.
Old 19 October 2003, 05:10 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

PaulR,Point taken, m8.
dave
Old 19 October 2003, 05:57 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

It is disappointing really that a good scheme to reduce the number of old and defective vehicles on the road has been undermined by such ridiculous behaviour.

Their intentions are, I suspect, inherently good. Big shame.
Old 19 October 2003, 06:09 PM
Luke
BANNED

The state of cars in this country is not bad...Its how many drivers are drunk/stoned,have no license or tax/insurance that is the big problem. next time the ****** should stop all the parents who have not got the children strapped in.... That would be better use of time.

[Edited by Luke - 10/19/2003 8:21:09 PM]
Old 19 October 2003, 08:17 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Still waiting for sarcastic and/or smug reply from one of the Five-O lowlifes?
Old 19 October 2003, 08:20 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Part of the problem with the police is that when they are acting like complete arseholes ,and some of them REALLY do , no-one (..if they've got any sence...) says anything about it to the coppers face 'cos you blow any chance of getting let off,..for example ..if you get pulled for bieng a bit enthusiastic on a roundabout ,fair enough,...then breathalised,no problem....then warned,and given the "it's not big and it's not clever" bit for bieng a bit quick round aforementioned r'about,OK, not a problem with that, it's a fair cop etc etc,..but when the copper then says(in a disrespectfull manner..) " where were you going then?..off downtown to show off to the little girlies eh ?.." what an ars*hole,if anyone else said they would get a "..oh dear jealousy is terrible isn't it..you sad f**k.." and they would know they were bieng a dic*head(even if they didn't admit it at the time), but with a copper you pretty much have to bite your tongue and stay humble and fake the respect that you just lost,untill you get out of the car when you then think "what an ars*hole up untill he said that you were an ok copper but what a muppet",my point is that the copper cannot see your reaction to his stupid one-liner and so thinks he still has your respect....sorry mr policeman but you will have to try harder not to talk to people as though they are 3 yr olds then you will get the respect that so many of you deserve but which is missing because of the ignorance/arrogance of a few.......after all that i am still 'pro-police' so to speak , but they don't seem to want us to be....

[Edited by matty01 - 10/19/2003 8:22:21 PM]

[Edited by matty01 - 10/19/2003 8:23:31 PM]
Old 20 October 2003, 01:07 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I read this as well. Having run out of windscreen washer once myself I have to say on gritted wet roads visibility goes down to virtually nil. So there is an argument to say this a fair cop. One suspects that they had some cause to be interested in the car in the first place. Then maybe at the end of the day the guy ws rude to them so they thought we'll have you. Which in their defence is fair enough. On this very BB enough people complain when others don't show them respect. At the end of the day we have one side of the story.

All that said, I do feel sometimes the police do a bad PR job. I have been complaining to the police about the anti-social behaviour down our street of late. Had a car pick me up the other day for a business trip. 40 odd grand of merc parked outside the house at 5.30 am and the driver was having a cup of tea perched on the bonnet suited and booted. He was aprehended by 2 police officers who he said were quite rude to him. So where were the police the other night at 12.30am when the vandals were burning down my neighbours hedge?

Dave
Old 20 October 2003, 01:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Was it MOT'd?

LOL no it wasn't but they let him off for this...

Old 20 October 2003, 02:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One assumes they looked round the car then got the chap to open up his bonnet? if not then how the hell did they know his washer bottle was empty and battery connection was loose?

This is totally crazy! As said, does not exactly endear us to the police forces does it.