Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

question for hi-fi buffs.......................

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 07:09 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does using a digitial coaxial lead from dvd to av amp replace the left/right/video phonos.

need to get this right as all cables will be in trunking under the floor by end of weekend.

thanks in advance.
Old 10 October 2003, 07:35 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Digital co-ax will carry all the surround sound information for the AV amp so you can lose the l/r phonos.

Hope this helps.

BTW How long is your digital co-ax as I am after an 8m version, but can't find one so far.

tiggers.
Old 10 October 2003, 07:36 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Shock Horror 8m Digital Coax

Arent they supposed to be as short as possible, the one I have is only about a foot long

Old 10 October 2003, 07:40 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but my problem is that the TV/Video/DVD/Sky box are a good 4m from the hi-fi where the AV processor is. To make it neat I want to put the cable under the floor with the rest of them hence the 8m.

I have asked several hi-fi shops, but no one seems able to give me a solution to the issue. I could put the DVD with the hi-fi, but then I need a 8m SCART lead - same problem. Hmmm... any ideas.

Anyway sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 10/10/2003 7:41:25 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 07:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

I guess you could always make a cable, 75ohm I think they are, thats the only difference between them and a normal phono cable

Can you not use Optical cable?

Edited to add, wouldnt you be better putting the AV Processor with the DVD/Skybox etc, and then running std phonos back to any additional boxes (CD, Record Deck, Tape Deck etc) that the processor needs to connect to

[Edited by *Sonic* - 10/10/2003 7:47:03 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 07:57 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I knew you'd suggest that and it maybe the best bet. It's a lot of cable though and the connections are 5 pin DIN. Yeah don't ask!!

tiggers.
Old 10 October 2003, 07:57 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL

What Processor is it?
Old 10 October 2003, 08:12 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Tiggers

have you tried a car audio shop.

Si
Old 10 October 2003, 08:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Am I missing something or misunderstanding something or did someone say that they are terminating a coax cable with a 5 pin DIN plug? No reason why you shouldn't, just new to me :-)

Anyhow, you'd be amazed at what digital signals will work over. In theory you need to get some 75 Ohm coax cable and solder it on to the connectors (usually phono but this 5 pin DIN thing is still bugging me) and it will work. It isn't a big job. In my experience it works over a considerable distance and I've also made it work using 50 Ohm coax cable as it was all I had handy at the time.

I know lots of people take their hi-fi very seriously and get very excited about cables etc. and that is fine. However, I have seen AES digital audio work, with zero errors on the RX end, on a wet bit of string, and I mean literally a wet bit of string. It didn't work when the string was dry, but that was not unexpected :-)
Old 10 October 2003, 08:28 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Oh, found a link to digital audio over wet string:

https://www.canford.co.uk/blueprintonline/blueprintdec2002/wetstring.asp

I know it's AES but your domestic digits are not that very different from AES.
Old 10 October 2003, 08:52 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,

Thanks for that.

I got a 5m cable from Maplin (19.99). They also do 3m and gold plated connectors.

I understand what is said about cable lengths and same prbably applies for joins but I don't think I will be able to tell the difference.

Old 10 October 2003, 10:14 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,

Talk to Lektropacks because IIRC they will make up to specific lengths. I.e. you order a cable and add on what number of extra metres you want. Look at their ProLink stuff, very good quality.

But for digital coax links between DVD and AV Amps I've used a couple of nasty freebie RCA to RCA leads (i.e. one you get with DVD players etc.) linked together with gafer tape and the signal still got through and didn't sound any different.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 10/10/2003 10:15:13 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 10:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

3Times,

You say left/right/video. The digital coax as I understand your meaning (i.e. a single RCA - RCA cable, usually 75ohm) is usually a cable that links the DVD player to an AV amp. This passes all the sound channel information (be it stereo, Dolby 5.1 or DTS etc.). The only gotcha is if you DVD player can also play DVD-Audio or SACDs. In that case you also need six RCA cables as well, but ignore that if your DVD player doesn't do it, or if you are not interested.

It doesn't however pass the video signal. For that you usually use a SCART lead directly between DVD and the TV. A fully wired SCART will pass the video and sound to the TV so you can watch a DVD without using the AV amp (heaven forbid ).

Of course, if you have a higher end DVD player/AV Amp/TV you may be able to pass component output from you DVD to your AV amp and then onto the TV. But I've never really understood why anybody would actually want to do that.....

A final note. Before you bury your cables for ever, hook all the gear up and make sure it works. You never know, you might have a duff cable.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 10/10/2003 10:22:57 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 11:47 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Having had fairly similar problems in the past, I have a decent 5 metre digi coaxial made by IXOS, and a 5 metre fairly high grade scart lead made by Cambridge audio. Can't remember where I got the IXOS from, but think the Cambridge audio lead came from Richer Sounds (not my usual hi-fi dealer, I have to admit). Worth trying both these brands, as I have a feeling they may have done a 10m version. Failing that, you may be down to people who will custom make cables for you, which may be pricey and a long wait, or making one yourself (less effort for the coax than the scart!)
Old 11 October 2003, 12:02 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

3times,

Glad you got an answer before I hijecked the thread - sorry.

As for the the other replies thanks for all the information. The processor by the way is a Naim AV2. The 5 pin DIN is only for connection to other Naim equipment, the COAX digital is a standard input as on other processors.

Regards,

tiggers.