Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Charity collectors shaking their tins at you.

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 05:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went shopping in Cardiff centre today and was amazed at how many times I was approached by someone shaking a tin at me asking me to give money to a worthy cause. They were even on the tills in M&S as well helping to pack your bags for a so called voluntary donation into their tin.

I dont mind giving to charity,in fact I donate to two every month directly with my credit card. But I think it must be intimidating for some ppl to have a tin of cash shaken at them and being expected to donate.

Chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:32 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

IIRC its ilegal to shake a charity container/bucket in front of people

was infornmed of this when i went on a charity collection for the 'army benevolent fund' in london.

chris

[Edited by CHRIS_D - 10/10/2003 5:32:21 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 05:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Doesnt seem to stop then doing it though.

Chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:36 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Illigal immigrants shake small children at you and *demand* your money. Is that illegal too?

UB
Old 10 October 2003, 05:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Have you actually seen Asylum seekers do that UB? If so how many times, every day? Once? Or a few times?

Sometimes I wonder whether people like to fixate on something to the point of obsession rather than just getting on with their lives and letting others get on with theirs.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:42 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I agree with you chip, especially when you are having a nice quiet drink in the pub and you get the collection tin shoved under your nose!

I think it became much harder for them (the charities) when the lottery was introduced.

Does not excuse the "collectors" of over zealous behaviour though.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Anothr thing it hate is when they place someone in a wheelchair in the entrance to the supermarket. You cant avoid them there so they expect you to donate as you stroll past.

Chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:48 PM
Luke
BANNED

remember............... most are companies collecting on behalf of charities..... they can deduct huge amounts for admin.I believe 90%.... Always ask them.

I never give anyway.... let the goverment pay for hospital beds etc.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yep, I've seen it first hand. On the London Underground. And they are *very* aggressive. Quite horrible to witness.

Oh, and I was trying to get on with my life. Don't quite get what your point is??

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 10/10/2003 5:51:35 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 05:53 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I've never seen that! Then again I haven't been to London for quite a while. I know it happens in other big cities- do you think they they are asylum seekers, illegals or just citizens of the UK with no cash. If they are illegal surely it would be pretty easy to do checks on them?

As for the charity collectors just don't give if you don't want to, I always say hello though whether giving or not.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:59 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

For me it's a fine line.

I am inclined to give a few coins, why not, always have even when I was a very poor student, always will, but there is one "but":

I never give when I somehow feel I am "cornered" into giving. It shouldn't feel as an obligation.

Old 10 October 2003, 05:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Well, they were dressed in eastern european type garb with head scarfs and all that, and they spoke no English other than "give me money" as they wave a baby in your face.

I admit that it is relatively new in London, but they are there. There were another gang on Hungerford Bridge too. Can't see why they would need to behave like that if they were legals. They had a real air of desperate hysteria about them.

UB
Old 10 October 2003, 06:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

If theyre in London then they have got no problem. Why dont they just go and knock on No10 Downing St. Surely Mr B liar will take pity on them and feed them,clothe them, fund them, house them like he does to all the others.

Chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 06:34 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Some of them are darn right low life scrounging scum bags IMO If I want to part with some of my hard earned cash, I'll give it to what I think is a worthy cause...any others get blanked and that includes attractive birds in pub selling roses for stupid donations or people wearing medals in doorways...Its my money and if they dont like it, then tough... I've eanrt it and I'll spend it on how I see fit .... Intimadation dont work here [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nath

[Edited by 47 NAT - 10/10/2003 6:36:49 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 06:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Ever had the ones that come around to your door and when you answer they hold up a card which says something like

Hello my name is Peter and I am deaf and cannot speak. Please buy some ****e of me so I can spend it on drugs,booze etc

Words to that effect anyway.

After one of them called at my door one night I went for a walk to the local shop. Who should be standing on the corner having a good laugh with his mates. Yep the deaf/dumb kid who'd just knocked on my door. Hence from then on all doorstep callers just get the big FO from me.

Chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 06:56 PM
Luke
BANNED

these "deaf dummys" are treated like krap by their team leaders.. beaten up and all sorts of other stuff.
Old 10 October 2003, 06:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

But the ones I saw had F all wrong with them. Or they sounded like that anyway.

chip.
Old 10 October 2003, 07:09 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Wink

on the subject of charitys, read in the paper today that comic relief have donated £80,000 to a group set up to help released IRA prisoners. nice to see money going to the needy won't be donating to that again[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] what a feckin joke.[/i]

[Edited by FASTER MIKE!! - 10/10/2003 7:16:11 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 07:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I agree with UB. On the tube they thrust their smell, filthy child in your face and aggresively try to get money from you. They're experts at it.

They also do it outside of Harrods and use numbers to intimidate people into giving their cash over.

I find the words FUKC and OFF work quite well in these situations.
Old 10 October 2003, 10:31 PM
eskimo pussy
Scooby Newbie

I find that if you are sick on said people they tend not to bother you ,give uus somme money " PUKE"
Old 10 October 2003, 11:14 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

BB
Old 10 October 2003, 11:29 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Look them straight in the eye and tell them that you will not be giving them any money... not now, not ever.... then hold the gaze about 5 times longer than is comfortable whilst doing a nervous twitch of the neck - generally they won't ask you again!
Old 10 October 2003, 11:37 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You guys are fortunate. A company I work for has a Friday Dress down day where you give a £1 to the company's charity. Before it was like a voluntary thing where if you were dressed down then you were expected to hand over your dosh. Now they introduced a thing wher they deduct it out of your wages (voluntarily of course). "But what's the problem with that ?" you might say. We'll the boss of this company is reputed to own nearly £800,000,000. Yet he expects his employees to pay for his charity! The only problem being that if you don't volunteer it makes you look like a right tw!t and possibly buggers up your career prospects.
Old 11 October 2003, 11:31 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

jpor- Does your money go to the Caudwell Charitable Trust?

Jason